2018 Intra-State League Championship

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Eric_S

2018 Intra-State League Championship

Post by Eric_S »

Hello,

The 2018 Wisconsin Intra-State Pinball League Tournament will be on Saturday, December 1, 2018 with people arriving around 9:30 AM and play starting at 10 AM at my residence near Neenah, WI. The pinball machines are in the basement which can be accessed through the stairway at the back of the garage.

This tournament started with just the three leagues in Milwaukee, Madison and Fox Cities, but I had other leagues reach out to me to participate for this year. While I enjoyed the original format, I didn’t want to exclude a league and I want to continue to grow interest in competitive pinball.

With the increase in pinball leagues in Wisconsin, we have six leagues being represented, so I devised a way to have each league face every other league four times. The format will be ten rounds with 16 three-player groupings. Points will be awarded 5-3-1 based on finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Extra balls will be plunge only. Total point accumulation will determine which league will be the 2018 champion. If there is a tie for a first place, the last round scores will determine the winner. If that is a tie, scores from previous rounds will be used to determine a winner, so later rounds matter in the case of a tie. Each member of the winning league will receive a trophy.

Each league will need to bring an 8-person team. The expectation is that each person of your team is a member of your league. It is also expected that you select the best members of your team that are available for the Intra-state based on however you rank your league (IE no cherry-picking players or including players that are not regularly part of your league). Please email me your team members once they are selected so I can get things set in a spreadsheet that will calculate all of the points for teams and individuals.

From an IFPA-standpoint, we’ll treat this as a match play tournament, with final point totals for individual players determining final rankings. If there is a tie for first, second or third place, there will be a one game playoff to determine final positions. For individual results, first place will win $50, second place will win $25 and third place will win $10.

We will also have a one-game side tournament that will count for IFPA points. Each person will have one free play on the machine and top four qualifying players will have a one game playoff to determine a winner. Additional attempts can be made at $2 per attempt, but priority will be given to players that haven’t played yet. The winner of the top four playoff will receive money paid by the additional attempts.

The one casualty of this tournament is that from a timing perspective, we won’t have time for a follow-up tournament as the Fox Cities league will have our December league event that evening starting at 6 PM.

Below are the participating leagues and league representative. Please let me know your team members as soon as you can so I can get them loaded into the spreadsheet.

• Madison League – Sean Spindler
• Titletown League – Erik Thoren
• Milwaukee Flipper League – Paul Okruhlica
• North Shore League – Fred Walls
• Twisted Flippers League – Neo Skywalker
• Fox Cities League – Eric Strangeway

Fees will be $20 per person. Lunch and beverages will be provided. Lunch will most likely be pizza. I’d like each league representative to collect the $20 fee from each of their team members, as I won’t have time to track down fees for 48 people. I’m sure it will get warm in the basement, so dress appropriately. Please wear any league shirts that you may have so you can represent your league.

I currently have over 30 machines that will be available to play. Below is the current game list (subject to change):

1. Rocky and Bullwinkle
2. Star Trek Premium
3. Metallica Pro
4. Ghostbusters Pro
5. Whitewater
6. The Addams Family
7. Creature from the Black Lagoon
8. Star Trek: The Next Generation
9. Dr. Who
10. Roadshow
11. Twilight Zone
12. X-Men LE
13. The Walking Dead Pro
14. Wheel of Fortune
15. The Simpsons Pinball Party
16. Family Guy
17. Ripley’s Believe it or Not
18. Iron Maiden Pro
19. Jungle Lord
20. Space Invaders
21. Future Spa
22. Embryon
23. Harlem Globetrotters
24. Melody
25. Meteor
26. Centaur II
27. Elektra
28. Firepower
29. Eight Ball Deluxe LE
30. Alien Poker
31. Lightning
32. Time Warp (maybe – still a project)

If you choose to drink alcoholic beverages, please don’t over-indulge and be sure to have a designated driver. Do not bring any illegal drugs to my house. If you smoke, please do so outside and be sure to extinguish and properly dispose cigarettes. I’m OK with people wearing shoes inside, just be sure they are clean and dry. Please don't park in front of neighbor's mailboxes.

Updates and discussion will be posted on Wisconsinpinball.com here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1620.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I’m looking forward to an awesome day of pinball.

Thanks,
Eric
Last edited by Eric_S on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric_S

Re: 2018 Intra-State League Championship

Post by Eric_S »

Hello,

I'm finalizing the date for the 2018 Wisconsin Intra-State Pinball League Tournament. See information above and more details when the date gets closer.

thanks,
Eric
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I received a message from Sean and it sounds like the Madison contingent will be attending, so now we have a tournament!
Jimrad

Post by Jimrad »

Eric_S wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm The Fox Cities Pinball League will be hosting the 2018 Intra-State League Championship. We're looking at Saturday, December 1, 2018. The first date that was chosen had too many date conflicts. We're planning to start at 10 AM and it will be held at my residence. As usual, each Wisconsin Pinball League will bring 8 players in a nine round tourney to crown the 2018 Pinball League Champs.

I've heard from Jim Radovich that Milwaukee Flippers League will bring a team and the Fox Cities will have a team. I haven't heard from Madison or any of the other Milwaukee leagues, so reach out to me to confirm that you'll be participating this year. More details to come.

If anyone has a magic algorithm to determine a way to seed that each round you play different players, let me know.

thanks,
Eric
Paul O has the formula ,to play each other once . he will be talking to you soon. Thanks Eric

Jim
boustrophedonic

Post by boustrophedonic »

Erik just brought this to my attention. I'll check with my league to see if we've got 8 people interested or not. I should be able to let you know for sure by our next league night at the latest (which is 2 weeks from now). Thanks for putting this together Eric!
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

boustrophedonic wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am Erik just brought this to my attention. I'll check with my league to see if we've got 8 people interested or not. I should be able to let you know for sure by our next league night at the latest (which is 2 weeks from now). Thanks for putting this together Eric!
Does the North Shore league have enough players to field at team at the IntraState tournament? Let me know as we may need to tweak the format to allow four teams.
boustrophedonic

Hi Eric,

We had a couple folks interested, but nowhere near 8. So please go ahead without us. Next year I'll try to get people thinking about it sooner so we have a better chance of getting quorum. :)

Thanks!
-Fred
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Fred,
The North Shore league has to do this!
Matt, Carl, Fred, Liam, Fred’s other son, George, Helms Deep, Deb...you got it! 😉
It’s a blast, Fred!

Tim
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

If I can join the north shore league for 1 night, in order to play in this... then count me in!

:D
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Fred, it really is a fun and friendly competition with good-natured ribbing. It usually starts by 10am and wraps up around 4pm.
boustrophedonic

We've got Carl, Deb, & Michael who said they'd be in. I could bring a kid or two but (even with Hilton ;) ) it looks like we could end up coming a little short...?
boustrophedonic

With a little more arm-twisting, Matt and George are now in, and John is a maybe. So it looks like we should be able to field a team of 8! Thanks for being patient with us. I'll let you know the final line-up once I hear back from everyone.
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

That’s awesome, Fred! Should be a really fun time! Glad you twisted their arms! 😉
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Cool, glad the North Shore league can field a team.

Now that we have four league teams, I'm thinking that in the interest of time, we go down to eight rounds (rather than none). Each round will have eight four-player groupings, with 7-5-3-1 scoring.

From an IFPA standpoint, I'm thinking of submitting it as match play and if we have time, do a fun 2-strike tournament.

If anyone can figure out how to have eight rounds of eight four-player groupings such that nobody plays each other twice, let me know. I gave up after a couple of attempts.

More details to come.

Eric
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

removed old information
Last edited by Eric_S on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.