2017 Waun-a-Pinball Tournament

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
BigDaddyBanjo

Re: 2017 Waun-a-Pinball Tournament

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Congrats on another awesome tourney Tully! Loved seeing all of the out of town folks again! Everyone help out Todd and vote at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Waunakee for the Waunabowl to win the "Best Burger" award!
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

survey took 1 min to complete.

Make sure others do it also! Help out Tmac. It is crazy that they get beat out by a crappy chain. Time to change that in 2017.
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Big thanks to Tully and all of those that helped out at the tournament. Also, thank you to the sponsors too, the sunglasses were a hit at home. A good time was had by all.
Attachments
20170305_082254.jpg
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Thanks Steve Tully and the Madison Pinball Guys for a great event. This is always my favorite event because it was the first one I ever attended. It's hard to believe that was 7 years ago.
I can't wait for next year.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Thanks Tully for another great year! It's crazy to think that 7 years ago when I played in my first Wauna tourney I drove out by myself and didn't know a single other person that was playing. It was also my first tournament ever so I had no idea how anything worked and I remember that I didn't show up until mid afternoon (around 2:30) which meant I didn't have enough time to make it through all the games. I didn't really care at the time about tournaments, I just wanted to see what it was about. I think my 2nd year I convinced Todd Enders to meet me there as Tim was still living in Milwaukee at the time. I can't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd year when I finally met Sean and Garrett and Hilton and a few other guys. I remember we went out to Quaker Steak and then invited people over for pinball at my place. That was really the turning point and from that point forward Wauna has gotten better and better each year. It's crazy to think that it's gone from a point where I didn't know anyone and now I know just about everyone that plays and I've met so many great friends! The Waunapinball tournament is largely to thank for where Wisconsin Pinball is today. Thanks Tully!

I also got in my vote for best burger and wrote in "Waunapinballtourney" in the best annual event category.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

It really is amazing! Mike and I were reminiscing last night about how Waunapin is really the thing that started it all and brought about so many great new friendships for all of us!

Huge thanks for that Tully! I can honestly say that life would be very different if it weren't for that first seed and your welcoming invite to attend.

You are the godfather of WI pinball for a damn good reason!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

For the fun of it I went back to look at some stats

2011: 3 ranked players, 29 people; Jason Werdrick winner
2012: 9 ranked players, 38 people; Josh Henderson winner
2013: 20 ranked players, 55 people; Josh Henderson winner
2014: 36 ranked players, 52 people; Art Dodd winner
2015: 46 ranked players, 52 people; Art Dodd winner
2016: 53 ranked players, 55 people; Chris Frame winner
2017: 58? ranked players, 60? people; Luke N winner

7 years now. Looks like 2018 is the year a WI person needs to win this thing!!!!!
tullster

Post by tullster »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Hiltons numbers are accurate. We wound up with 58/59 ranked players this year and 13 top 500 players. I've also got the past years game list somewhere that I'll need to post sometime. And yes, we Wisconsin folks need to step it up! We've come VERY close to #1 several times. Thinking back, it's amazing how time flies. That first year involved doing qualification ranking with a grid and post-it notes!

I've submitted the results to the IFPA and they should be up soon. Here's the top 4's...

A Division - 1st Luke Nahorniak - 2nd Hilton Jones - 3rd Tom Graf - 4th Ryan Spindler
B Division - 1st Dan Toft - 2nd Brodde Peterson - 3rd Bryon Schmitz - 4th Johnathan Zacherman
Side Tournament - 1st Hilton Jones - 2nd Adam Turgeson - 3rd Chris Frame - 4th Kirby Rients
NASCAR Two Ball Tourney - Devin Guerra 32,840,880

I received a nice surprise on Sunday when Lewis dropped by with a thank you note and gift card from everyone. Very humbling. I never imagined something that I helped with on a whim because I could, would grow into something fairly big. It's my honor to be a part of it and to keep it going as long as possible. And seriously, it wouldn't happen without the help and support from a lot of people!

Thanks again everyone!

Tully
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Thanks to you Tully, bottom line is this tourney (and in a lot of ways pinball in Wisconsin) doesn't happen without you!

Also want to call out Scott, Ryan,Ken and Brodde for spending hours doing scoring in the main or side tourneys this year. Thanks for the help guys!
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
Ken

Post by Ken »

BigDaddyBanjo wrote:Thanks to you Tully, bottom line is this tourney (and in a lot of ways pinball in Wisconsin) doesn't happen without you!

Also want to call out Scott, Ryan,Ken and Brodde for spending hours doing scoring in the main or side tourneys this year. Thanks for the help guys!
I've volunteered every year since my first in 2013. As others have mentioned it's the one that started it all. Went from knowing nobody to now having people in my life I never want to lose.

Thanks Tully!