More WI tourneys.

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
jpolfer

Re: More WI tourneys.

Post by jpolfer »

Hilton wrote:
jpolfer wrote:
Hilton wrote:Tully,

If Jon defects, I will lend you a hand. It is the only way I will make it to the event and probably the right thing to do.

If you can't beat em, then run the events so you can join em' ;)
I won't know for certain if I'm in until later this year. The comment was more or less a heads-up.

Looks like only 1 more planned event in GA. Are you going down for that one?
No, probably not.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

So I assume you are waiting till after that to know if you make GA state finals and then decide to defect from WI or not ?

;)

?
jpolfer

Post by jpolfer »

Hilton wrote:So I assume you are waiting till after that to know if you make GA state finals and then decide to defect from WI or not ?
More events can theoretically be scheduled in GA between now and the end of the year. I'm also not sure when APL submits their league results to the IFPA. I can't know until end of year. The prognosis is optimistic though - I'd have to fall 12 spots to be out at this point. I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't think there was a potential for the conflict to occur.

I'm not sure about how far ahead you plan your tournaments, Hilton, but i wasn't planning on doing any heavy work until December/January regardless of whether I would be planning the event or not. Given how certain details have been changing (like IFPA-endorsed flipper rubber and the like), I figure its wise to wait and start sorting out details at a later time. At the same time, I'm a big fan of 'no surprises', which is why I told Tully about the GA thing in advance, and now here. Transparency is a good policy.

The things that have been done are to identify directors or contacts, and find a location, which requires some forward-thinking to secure. I don't know if you've visited Tom Taylor's collection in New Berlin, but its incredible. He has approximately 300 machines in collectors condition. Most are classic Gottlieb EMs, but he has a number of DMDs as well, more than enough to run a tournament on those alone. Tom rarely opens his collection to a group from the public, so I figured this would be a special treat for tournament attendees. I'm thankful for him being gracious and giving us as a community this opportunity. If you are going to be involved, Hilton, all three of us should do a meetup with Tom early next year to go over logistics and do introductions.

The only other thing I've done some thinking about is: a gift for Tom. I thought it would be cool to go to a printer and have an IFPA WI State Championship poster printed and have each of the 16 competitors sign it, and give it as a gift to Tom. It would be one of a kind, and commemorate the use of his collection for this first event. It also won't break the bank to do either. If there's anything additional that you think we could do, we could talk to Tom about that.

*phew* There. End of brain dump. That's all I got on this thus far.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

That is a fantastic idea Jon!!!

I am sure Tom would appreciate it. I have been to his collection once before (last years MGC) and it is perfect for such an event.

You are right that there really does not need to be any planning for the event. It sounds like IFPA has set up the exact rules and with only 16 people in attendance there is not too much to worry about for planning. You already secured the spot and that is all you really need.

I can help however you need me. This is your gig. If you defect then I am happy to help out Tully to make it all happen.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

also, what is this "IFPA endorsed flipper rubber" stuff all about?

are they expecting machines to have a specific rubber installed?
jpolfer

Post by jpolfer »

Hilton wrote:also, what is this "IFPA endorsed flipper rubber" stuff all about?

are they expecting machines to have a specific rubber installed?
I'm referring to this: http://www.ifpapinball.com/saturn-pinba ... organizers

Nothing has been sent to me saying that I must have specific flipper rubber installed on the machines, at this time.

My goal behind mentioning that was to say that there might be more details / things to consider coming up later, and that may be one of them.

This thread has morphed from its original goal with some of my comments, my apologies... maybe we could put some of these comments into a WI State Championship thread? I'd kinda like that - I can keep it up to date with any discussion we might have on it.

EDIT: I asked Josh on Facebook, he says no, you don't have to. IFPA World, National championships and the like will probably use the Saturn rings though. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifpapin ... comments=6) Sadly, the link is probably behind a login-wall.
tullster

Post by tullster »

I appreciate the exchange of information, and glad to know the Wi Championship will be in good hands no matter what happens. If I was in Jon's shoes, I'd probably be pondering the same thing, and at least now I feel better knowing we've got each other's backs. I like the idea of a gift for Tom, and the poster sounds great. We could also probably come up with something else? It's way cool that he's letting us do this.

I agree to give it some more time before worrying about it, and starting a dedicated thread will be a must.

I'll be starting a Waun-a-Tourney thread at some point too. I'm going to run it pretty much the same, but wanted some input on a few tweaks. That's still a way off too. Don't want to rush into winter too fast!! :(
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I don't have too much of an issue with how things are run, personally. I agree with Jon, I think more activity from locals will mean that this problem doesn't occur again next year. Now, with two leagues and IFPA points for each (I think?), we should have a nice cushion for local players to make the top 16. We have 3 major tournaments I can think of, Wauna, MRP, and MGC. Those are really the only things that will get out of state players points. Hopefully, more of us competing in other events will allow us to hold our own in those larger tournaments.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
jpolfer

Post by jpolfer »

Just an FYI: you probably won't be seeing too many more Milwaukee events added to the IFPA Calendar unless someone else, beside myself, is the tournament director for them. My Fall + early winter is terribly busy, with family functions, some new work events, and two pinball tournaments already (the Fink's bar monthly tournament was a surprise to me).

We might make Fink's IFPA by EOY, but I highly doubt it. I'm still working out the kinks in my tournament data management tool (aka Excel spreadsheet). I nearly missed a three-way tie last event, when I was involved in the tie... not good. If I'm going IFPA with that tournament, it needs to be problem-free.

So if someone else wants to run one, and you want some inspirational support, feel free to email me. :D
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Jon,

this is all you need

http://scottdanesi.com/WP/?page_id=161
jpolfer

Post by jpolfer »

Thanks Hilton, but the problems I have the tool doesn't solve (constructing playoff matches for me, detecting ties and automatically constructing tie matches). I have a good friend with massive amounts of Excel-fu that I routinely trade knowledge with, so we're gonna have a hackathon and fix it sometime in the next week. I think I'll stick the spreadsheet on my GitHub account when I'm done - there has to be someone else that could use a tool like this.

This is not a slam on Scott's tool at all but - we need some better tournament software! Virtually every tourney I go to has playoff rounds, and there's nothing that automates them. Brackelope for iOS is pretty slick and works great, but its for elimination/knockout style tourneys only which I and my other monthly players find kinda annoying. Scott's Tool + Brackelope for playoff works well, if that's a combo you want to do. The higher-profile tournaments in IL I went to last year used Excel, including the PAPA Gameworks Tournament of Champions and Flip Out at Expo last year.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I would love a better tool. I love what Scott has done, but for me to run any more pump and dump style events I need something like PAPA had this year where all the officials have a tablet and enter scores right there.

Entries and sold and automatically identified with your player number.

The rest is automatically done by the computer. Really slick!

Dan also has something similar for MGC that worked really well. I hope more of those sophisticated softwares make it out for us regular guys to use.