GB Interactive topper build

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Fortytwo

GB Interactive topper build

Post by Fortytwo »

Hello,
I have decided while I wait, I would build an interactive topper for Ghostbusters. I have a few challenges to over come, but lets see how cool I can make it. I would like to record my progress here and get feedback on possible directions.
The plan: to make a topper that uses a REAL police light bar similar to Ecto-1. Have it light up for different modes etc.

Research: Ecto 1 uses a Code 3 force 4 light bar with blue outside dome filters and chrome center cover. four rotating lights inside that project blue through the filter. Ecto 1a uses the same force 4 but with clear outside dome and colored (red and amber) rotator filters inside, also has a center section with rotator.

Challenges;
Getting light bar short enough to fit on pinball.
Power, and or converting it to LED, external power supply big enough to power entire unit.
Tie in and controls, having what on with game and certain lights come on with certain modes.

Thanks I will keep you posted with progress as I go further.
FortyTwo
Fortytwo

Re: GB Interactive topper build

Post by Fortytwo »

I did find a light bar this weekend at a swap meet. One model newer than the one on Ecto-1 and it has clear domes like Ecto1a. Price was right, and it is the same shape as the one I was replicating. Having the clear domes and newer model really opens up lighting possibilities.

Can be shortened to 36 inches. Will need to get blue and other color filters as required. has 4 rotators. I would like to have some lights on all the time and for it to slowly go more nuts the more you have going on. Primaly use blue but thinking green wil lalso be used. I could have a third color either being clear or red
Inventory of light sets as wired;
Top;
two outside rotators (slow) will be blue
two inside rotators (Fast) will also be blue
Lower;
front corner 120 moving lights (currently clear??)
rear corner stationary light (currently clear??)
four alternating flashers (on front and back of each side) (Currently red, don't like them red)
two front lights (clear)

I want some lights on all the time but worried if the alternating flashing lights would be too much. Im also unsure what colors to use on the lower deck, thinking green would be cool to be tied into slimmer mode. Next step will be to clean it up and shorten it. Also decide what colors to use to get the filters. May just go with LED color bulbs (no filters) on the bottom to simplify it.

FortyTwo
Attachments
Lightbar.JPG
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Wow, keep us up to date. I think everyone on this forum is going to have a GB soon, so I don't think I'm the only one who can't wait to see how this turns out! :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Pixelbleed

Post by Pixelbleed »

I'm already picturing it and it will look amazing. You going to wire it through the machine or in a separate outlet if it draws too much power?
a.k.a. - Matt
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Thanks, i will be keeping this up to date when i'm not working on my car.
I do plan on wiring it through a separate outlet, a fully loaded light bar with original bulbs all on can draw up to 50 amps 12v. :shock:
I need to pick my colors and convert the entire unit to LED first. Then test amp draw and determine power supply. I do plan on having it activate based on if the games power supply is providing power. Essentially a relay.

What i have for mode and color choice so far.
Multiball - Blue - all 4 top rollers, would like to eventually have 2 then four based on different multi ball (not possible without full integration)
Mass Hysteria - EVERYTHING (see above if possibile)
Slimer - Green - front corner movers (tied to light)
Containment unit - Red - back corner and front inside (tied to light or flasher)

4 "flashers" alternating side to side, on front and back. What colors (R,G,B,W), one for each side? what mode or light tie in? or should i just put blue in and tie to GI? if i do GI should they alternate flash or just be on all the time?

As far as how to tie in not worried yet, need to get it built and fully working with LEDs first.
Thanks
FortyTwo
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Update,
After talking with a few people i have decided to go with purple on the "flashers". remove all the color filters form the bottom and rely on the LEDs to provide the correct color. It will then have a nice clean look when off or when only one light set is on.
Fortytwo
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Looking forward to the in-progress pics 8-)
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Made some progress today.
I completely dissassembled it. Cut the plastic and aluminum in order to shorten it. And cleaned everything with soap and water
I also experimented with product to reduce the yellow on the unused center section. Looks better, and since this will sit above the player I thing goodness so good enoug. Plus I'm still looking for completely blue domes for the top. Just don't want to spend 60 plus shipping
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Lense all cleaned and polished. I have it basically assembled. The rotators and wiring are not installed. Waiting for parts before I can continue.
image.jpeg
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Lightbar is almost done. I'm short two LED bulbs that we're back ordered.
This video shows everything on and going. It will be more impressive when things are turns on and off.
All 4 reds tied together. - containment unit flashers
Outside rotators - multiball
Inside rotators - multiball
Green moving corners. - slimer
Front left purple and back right green - a flasher
Front right purple and back left green - another flasher

Now I wait for the bulbs and the game to figure out tie in.
Fortytwo.

http://youtu.be/FdODwIcRRy8
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Ed,

When I did my 3 Stooges pinball machine, I used a DPDT relay to tie in my custom sound board. Maybe you could use something similar off a lamp or flasher. Attached is my schematic to give you some ideas.

Eric
Attachments
ScannedImage.jpg
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Eric.
That's pretty cool. I'll have to use that for my big game / greyhounds sound.
Guess I'm not going to know more of what I can do until I get the game. And see the manual. I found a cheap relay board with optical isolated inputs. Can have separate voltage for relay power or tied together. Less than 10$. Needs a low signal to fire. Can't be too difficult to tie in.
Fortytwo.
image.jpeg
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Chris
Thanks. I'll take a look at the light chart.
I got a video of the input board working.
Ed

http://youtu.be/pZR6h98hSb8
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Man, that's going to be so cool when you've got it hooked up! We have a LW3 with a single blue rotating light, and it's great to play it in the dark with the blue light spinning around the room. This is going to be way cooler than that.