We will not attend.
Hilton

Re: Sat, Dec 30th > 5pm start

Post by Hilton »

thanks for clarifying Mark
Methos

Post by Methos »

I was hoping to keep attendance an option depending on how late Eric's event goes, but if you need us to make a decision, we're already paid in.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Methos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:43 pm I was hoping to keep attendance an option depending on how late Eric's event goes, but if you need us to make a decision, we're already paid in.
I would love to have you guys and hope you can make it.

I just want a head count so I can plan appropriately (how many subs do we invite, how much soda to buy, pizza to order). I interpreted your original post as saying you likely are not coming since you were going to Erics? Sorry if I read that wrong.

I will be honest that it is a bit frustrating to pick a date 10 months back, put in the hard work to try and get the collection cleaned up/ ready for company, be excited to host the league, and then see many are ditching to go to Erics instead (no matter how late we start, reality is that he is running a double event with 40people and nobody will make it back to Madison in time for league). I understand the desire for some to go practice on the SCS collection, but felt the need to share my feelings also. I dont mean it as personal affront towards anyone, just sharing how it feels to be excited all year to host the finals and then have so many opt to travel to a different tournament. Probably not the place for it, but if we cant be real in here, then where can we...

This is all I will say on the matter.

All league members are welcome and invited. If possible, I like to plan accurately for those that are coming and think it is reasonable to ask for a headcount with more notice than the day of.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Going to be at Eric's and unlikely to make it back as I'm going to win it all.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 pm Going to be at Eric's and unlikely to make it back as I'm going to win it all.
good luck Ken
pfcjimmy

Post by pfcjimmy »

Hilton wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm All league members are welcome and invited. If possible, I like to plan accurately for those that are coming and think it is reasonable to ask for a headcount with more notice than the day of.
Since we are being real, didn't you just give JZ less than 24 hours notice that you would make his event? :oops:

This is all I will say on the matter. 8-)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

pfcjimmy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 am
Hilton wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm All league members are welcome and invited. If possible, I like to plan accurately for those that are coming and think it is reasonable to ask for a headcount with more notice than the day of.
Since we are being real, didn't you just give JZ less than 24 hours notice that you would make his event? :oops:

This is all I will say on the matter. 8-)
Yeah, the event date changed (I think a few times) while I was away on vacation so I was able to make a last minute adjustment once I realize we would be back in time on Sunday. Slightly different and I can completely understand if someones plans change or if the league date changes and they can attend.

As I said, all are welcome and invited, even you Jimmy. If your plans change at the last minute and you can attend, then come on by.
Methos

Post by Methos »

To be frank we knew it would be tight to make both, but didn't know of the early start time. I get the frustration at the planning and work that is put into preparing.

And I know it was not intended as such, but all league members are invited to any event. 8-)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I am curious, what time realistically do people think you would be able to be back to Madison from playing in Eric's event?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Hilton wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 pm I am curious, what time realistically do people think you would be able to be back to Madison from playing in Eric's event?
any of those people doing Eric's that also want to make it to league have a time estimate?

If it is feasible to delay league start further and you are all committed to leave by a specific time to make it work, then let me know.

From my math which assumes it takes 20 min per 4 player game if not playing them all at the same time (all 40 people are playing the same 10 titles.)

10 am start
40 people playing in 4 packs and qualifying on 10 games takes ~3hr >> 1:00p finished with qualifying and score entry over lunch.
30 min break for lunch
1:30pm starts playoffs > Top 20 make playoffs and play in 4 packs on 3 games per round = 1 hr per round of play
Being single elimination that means 3 rounds (or 4 depending on how he structures byes?).
First event gets over at 4:30pm at this estimate.

Second event is a 3 strikes event, so even if you lose the first 3 rounds that means 1.5 hours (typically 20-30 minutes for a 4 player 3 strikes per round with all the reshuffling IME)
You play turrible and are done somewhere around 6p. You do well and probably are done at 8p

Then a 1.5hr drive? (maybe 2?) if you head directly to my place.

The TLDR version, even if we shifted to a 6pm start>> are those of you going to Eric's able to commit to leave on time in order to make league start?
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

Hilton wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:22 am
Hilton wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 pm I am curious, what time realistically do people think you would be able to be back to Madison from playing in Eric's event?
any of those people doing Eric's that also want to make it to league have a time estimate?

If it is feasible to delay league start further and you are all committed to leave by a specific time to make it work, then let me know.

From my math which assumes it takes 20 min per 4 player game if not playing them all at the same time (all 40 people are playing the same 10 titles.)

10 am start
40 people playing in 4 packs and qualifying on 10 games takes ~3hr >> 1:00p finished with qualifying and score entry over lunch.
30 min break for lunch
1:30pm starts playoffs > Top 20 make playoffs and play in 4 packs on 3 games per round = 1 hr per round of play
Being single elimination that means 3 rounds (or 4 depending on how he structures byes?).
First event gets over at 4:30pm at this estimate.

Second event is a 3 strikes event, so even if you lose the first 3 rounds that means 1.5 hours (typically 20-30 minutes for a 4 player 3 strikes per round with all the reshuffling IME)
You play turrible and are done somewhere around 6p. You do well and probably are done at 8p

Then a 1.5hr drive? (maybe 2?) if you head directly to my place.

The TLDR version, even if we shifted to a 6pm start>> are those of you going to Eric's able to commit to leave on time in order to make league start?
Sorry, but i don't think this should even be an option. A time was picked. If people can't make that time then they can't make it. Should i tell you that i would like to be home by 7 so i can put my daughter down to sleep? will you start at 2pm in order to make that happen? No, you won't (or shouldn't). This is no different. There are many pinball events happening now, and people need to pick an event and stick with it. We all know that things come up, but if we start catering for a handful now it will just turn into "well, you did this for so and so, why won't you do it for me?" kind of arguments that are not needed in what is supposed to be a "fun, competitive" league.

I have missed league events because of prior engagements and would have even thought that the host should change the schedule of the many to accommodate the few.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thanks for the feedback Kingpin.

That was gonna be my next question. "Any objections from those that plan to attend?"

That settles it.

Time and date will stay.

Hope those of you that choose to go elsewhere are still able to make it back in time for league final night.
Boyo25guy

Post by Boyo25guy »

Yeah, I think your timing makes sense, and also agree it’s not fair to change the league start time. Given how long Eric’s tournament is likely to take, I can’t see getting back anytime close to league start. Looks like I’ll have to bow out of this one, unfortunately.
ChateenK

Post by ChateenK »

Hello folks!

I am going to be out of town! Sorry, I miss everyone a lot!

Chateen