What do you do with dirty balls?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Chris K

What do you do with dirty balls?

Post by Chris K »

So I’ve got this giant pile of dirty and pitted pinballs. Seems like a shame to throw anything away. Does anybody have an interesting use for them?

And yeah, half the reason I made this thread is to troll for jokes. :twisted:
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Hilton

Re: What do you do with dirty balls?

Post by Hilton »

I have been saving them in a box and when I get enough I will use them for a cool sculpture or trophy.

If you want to donate, I will happily put all your dirty balls in my box.

:)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Believe it or not, I re-use them. I can get them tumbling for about 5-7 days in my rotary tumbler and they come out almost better than new.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I've got maybe a 6" cube of nasty old balls. I have a sonicator, but no tumbler.

I guess I need more toys!

I'll hang onto them until I get a banker box full and see if I end up with a tumbler. If not, I'll put them in Hilton's giant box.
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

whoa whoa whoa. It is a tight little box.

I just keep jamming more in and they seem to fit.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I have an extra thumler AR-12 tumbler if you want to play with it and see what it can do (seriously, I have two of them). They are the bees knees when it comes to making parts shiny. I can bring it with me to Ballers on the 22nd.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Any significant difference between rotary and vibration tumbler results?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Rotary is a bit more aggresive, but doesnt get the inside of posts as well aa vibratory. I love the quietness of rotary, its set it and forget it.

I can also do wet media with rotary as well.
Current Collection
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Wow, the cycles are short enough that you could bring it over on Ballers night? I’d love to see it in action, I always have little metal parts to polish, and I hate doing work by hand.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

No goofball.... I will leave it with you. You can use it for awhile and if you like it, you can polish my balls in exchange for it.... :shock:
Current Collection
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Deal! Er, wait... we’re still talking about PINballs, right? :shock:
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

What media do you use in the tumbler when polishing balls? Do you use something different for posts and parts? I hadn't thought about using mine for pinball parts and have only used it on stones.
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Two step process for me.... Initial polishing.... Crushed corn cob.... Pet stores carry it. It is a little more abrasive. Knocks down gunk quicker.

After 24-48 hours, switch to fine crushed walnut. I run that for about 48-72 hours depending on whats in the tumbler.

Both processes use metal polish of your choice. I used to use flitz, but have been using blue magic the last couple of years. Use polish generously with crushed walnut to get a high shine.

I am sure others can chime in with their methods.
Current Collection
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Also, the method I listed above is dry media for metal parts.

If you dont have an ultrasonic cleaner, you can throw plastic posts in there and fill it halfway with purple power, mean green, etc. with some hot water and without any other media. After about 4-6 hours, everything should be nice and new.
Current Collection
chaos

Post by chaos »

If anybody doesn't want to recondition their old pinballs and is interested in something fun and welded, hit me up. I'd be happy to make something, or design something with you. I'm eyeing a new welding helmet (with built-in respirator) and I need an excuse (and some funds) for it.