Star Wars

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
DeaconBlooze

Star Wars

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Pics are from pinside - I guess they got pulled from a video.

Thoughts? Remember Kingpin is now an authorized Stern Distributor!!
Attachments
a5ebfacc90a78c4f518a9254533ad191c064a693.png
59a405358a8e6fae815a72669cce6d729b68cb6a.png
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
NoahK

Re: Star Wars

Post by NoahK »

As far as cabinet artwork, I like the Premium which makes sense since I liked Empire Strikes Back best out of the trilogy. The exploding Death Star looks like it could be neat. I will wait for gameplay footage and actually playing the game before passing judgement. It is a shame that R2-D2 is not more prominent on the artwork (otherwise my wife would insist on picking this up immediately).
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

NoahK wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 pm actually playing the game before passing judgement.

I hope there is one available to play in town...
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Holy crap, that artwork on the playfield looks soooooo bad. Looks like the game has solid flow though. But geeze, a huge asset like Star Wars, and that is all they could do with the playfield artwork? Ouch.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
pfcjimmy

Post by pfcjimmy »

Hard pass!
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I agree with TIm that the artwork seems lacking. The premium/LE playfield looks interesting with the metal ramps and habitrails. I wonder if the looping habitrail back to the deathstar will slow down the game. Kind of reminds me of Hurricaine. The Pro model with plastic ramps just looks cheap.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

So it's Original Trilogy, has an LCD, and there's a Pro? I'm interested for sure.

I know everybody geeks out about hand-drawn art, but while I would prefer more custom art and less clipart dropped on a Photoshop canvas.... well, I really don't care much. Theme > art for me, and you know the movie clips and sound effects are going to be fantastic.

Does the Premium center ramp escalate (magnet?) behind the backboard, and shoot out the right top? It sure looks like the right ramp only goes to the right return.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

DeaconBlooze wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 2:28 pm Thoughts? Remember Kingpin is now an authorized Stern Distributor!!
Thank you so much Dave.

The only thing i know so far is that I have 0 (zero) limited editions allocated to me (guess selling from others stock didn't really mean much).

As soon as I have solid info I will pass it along.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

I have to agree that the artwork is a bit of a let down, but if the gameplay is fun then that'll really make a big difference.

It really looks like Star Trek without the Warp ramp and upper flipper, and includes a 5 target bank on the left side instead of the VUK. Pro seems a bit underwhelming and Premium looks like it could be fun with the additional ramps and exploding Death Star. Looks like it could be similar to the Break the Bank on Sopranos.

Color Display could be really great with this if it's done right. I'll hold off on any further comments until I get a chance to actually play it. Like Aerosmith (lame theme IMO with great art and fun gameplay), it could be a blast to shoot. Here's hoping!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I think the game is pretty much exactly what I envisioned a Stern/Steve Ritchie Star Wars game to be. Decent but not great art, mostly recycled layout, but likely really fun to shoot and a solid and fun game overall! I'm also sure that the game will look much better in person (and lit up) than it does in pictures.

I think theme integration and software are going to make or break this game. I hope that the LCD integration, sound package and modes really bring you into the Star Wars universe vs. pulling a Game of Thrones which misses the mark in many ways. If code and theme integration are good I could see myself picking up a Pro. The Pro seems like a pretty good value with dual LCD screens and such a great theme.

If you are interested in buying one I'd highly recommend buying from Kingpin as he is the best!
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

With the big LCD and the playfield LCD there's a TON of chance for great movie scene integration. And that's to say nothing of the iconic sound effects. The art may as well be an afterthought, because between seeing trench run and hyperspace video clips and blaster and droid sound effects, nobody's going to notice the static playfield art. Kinda like Alien, TBH.

I'll wait to play before I make a judgement, regardless. Gameplay is king!
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Methos

Post by Methos »

There is amazing art associated with Star Wars. All four of the posters from the 77 film including the A sheet could have been used for the translite. Same for the GWTW poster for Empire, and the alternative poster for Jedi. Just amazing stuff used from the original releases,....its too bad they chose the route they did. I hope it plays well, but right now it looks like a Sega pin.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Hey... Sega made so many great games!!!

no need to bag on them :)
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

The thing for me is that they could have done SO MUCH with the theme being Star Wars. There's such a huge universe to pull from, and it appears that they didn't take advantage of it. It appears to be a recycled layout. The code and theme integration will make or break this game. As of now, it just looks meh, kind of like how AS is, imo. I read somewhere that the Death Star will act as a ball lock, much like the Toybox in AS, and I'm assuming the "Exploding Death Star" is a start of multiball where it spews out the balls. Hoping it plays better than what the initial images show. And where the eff is Yoda?!?!
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 am Hey... Sega made so many great games!!!

no need to bag on them :)

So true..... But no one is paying 5k for them (yet, LOL).

I think at the pricing all new pinball is going to, the entire package is to be expected now. Star Wars was close, but the playfield art is really bad. I don't understand how many of the recent Ritchie titles have such poor art. It isn't just the art either, it's the lack of continuity. These inserts look really bad on Star Wars. Would it be *that* difficult to have some artwork flow over them?
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix