Pinburgh / ReplayFX 2016

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Tim E

Re: Pinburgh / ReplayFX 2016

Post by Tim E »

Hilton wrote:
epthegeek wrote:I actually ended up not signing up. Hilarious right?

I just couldn't justify the $1000 expense (entry, travel, accommodations, food) this time. It was an awesome time, and I'd love to do it again, just not bad enough for spend the money on it in the end.

That is a BIG part of the reason I would rather do PAPA than Pinburgh. PAPA (with games at normal location) means much cheaper hotels and travel at that time is also less. Unfortunately I am pretty sure MGC and PAPA are on the same weekend in 2016 which means no PAPA either.

We have elected to try and do TPF this year. Sounds like a great show and currently pretty cheap airfare. Didnt you do TPF last year?
Although, PAPA might be cheaper, it is nowhere near as fun. Pick your poison I guess. Papa is like like choosing Phish over a great band like the Who. :D
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

LOL.

I have seen Phish play as themselves and the WHO (covered quad in 1995 in its entirity). They do the WHO better that the WHO does the WHO :)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I have not done pinburgh, but in general I liked PAPA as I enjoy playing at my own pace and the ability to play all the other token play games.

Pinburgh sounds fun but in general I dont like playing pinball all day long for multiple days with strangers.
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

The playing pinball all day with random people was a great time. It's not really all day though, the round blocks are big enough that you generally end up with more than an hour between rounds where you can go do other stuff, or grab something to eat, or play more pinball even.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

good to know. I am sure I will make the trip at some point. Just not this year.

That said we may need to host a get-to-gether for those that cant make it to pinburgh that weekend.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Hilton wrote:LOL.

I have seen Phish play as themselves and the WHO (covered quad in 1995 in its entirity). They do the WHO better that the WHO does the WHO :)

Note to self..... The pot at Phish shows must be REALLY good... :lol:
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Sober at Phish shows for me (at least for the past 18 years).

http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/1995-10-31
set 2 if you want to give it a listen.
not a great recording but it will give you the gist of it. Phish is not great vocally but musically much better than the WHO IMHO.
Pretty cool to have a band cover an entire album of another band as their musical costume each year.
chaos

Post by chaos »

Hilton wrote:
epthegeek wrote:I actually ended up not signing up. Hilarious right?

I just couldn't justify the $1000 expense (entry, travel, accommodations, food) this time. It was an awesome time, and I'd love to do it again, just not bad enough for spend the money on it in the end.

That is a BIG part of the reason I would rather do PAPA than Pinburgh. PAPA (with games at normal location) means much cheaper hotels and travel at that time is also less. Unfortunately I am pretty sure MGC and PAPA are on the same weekend in 2016 which means no PAPA either.

We have elected to try and do TPF this year. Sounds like a great show and currently pretty cheap airfare. Didnt you do TPF last year?
I honestly think Pinburgh is easier. PAPA is in the middle of nowhere, but you can get to Pinburgh on a whole bunch of the 61 buses--which means you can stay at a cheaper hotel (or with your PPL friends), or venture out into the rest of Pittsburgh. The food in the area is way better (Sammy's corned beef, Sree's Indian Food, Sharp Edge Bistro, Sushi Kim Korean). If you finish in the top 40 in your division, you get your registration fee back. The only big cost is travel, but it's a fun drive.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote:I have not done pinburgh, but in general I liked PAPA as I enjoy playing at my own pace and the ability to play all the other token play games.

Pinburgh sounds fun but in general I dont like playing pinball all day long for multiple days with strangers.
I thought you don't like "Pump & Dump" tournaments.

Long live Pinburgh and it's infinite glory!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TomGWI wrote:
Hilton wrote:I have not done pinburgh, but in general I liked PAPA as I enjoy playing at my own pace and the ability to play all the other token play games.

In general I don't but PAPA is less about teh tournamnet and MORE about hanging out and playing pinball with friends.

PAPA cost for each entry is also somewhat self limiting as not many are going to over dump when it is $10. $15. $20 per entry. I do like the multiple game ticket format of PAPA. It actually favors consistency in play where a standard pump and dump favors putting up a big game ocassionally. It is a fun format to play in.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote:
TomGWI wrote:

In general I don't but PAPA is less about teh tournamnet and MORE about hanging out and playing pinball with friends.

PAPA cost for each entry is also somewhat self limiting as not many are going to over dump when it is $10. $15. $20 per entry. I do like the multiple game ticket format of PAPA. It actually favors consistency in play where a standard pump and dump favors putting up a big game ocassionally. It is a fun format to play in.

How many entires would you say you do at PAPA over the length of the tournament?

Tom
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I could go back and look.

I think probably 7 to 10.

Typical play was to arrive and play an entry or 2 right of the start to get a feel for games, then go play regular games for tokens in general area, then return and play another entry after lunch. Return to general colleciton. Possible entry post dinner. Repeat the following day but also some focus on the classics I, II, and III.

I think the first year I did less than the 2nd year.

The second year I tossed up a bunch of blockers to help Tim out right at the end and had a blast (almost made it to playoffs on a blocker ticket).

The majority of time at PAPA was spent laughing and playing pinball with Maya, Tim, Mike, Lou, and other friends we met there.
We started getting into the self mediated competitions with groups of 4 and selecting games throughout the facility.
Methos

Post by Methos »

We're going back to Pinburgh. It is expensive and a long trek out, but the fun factor is huge. Honestly, I enjoyed it much better than even MGC. Just hanging out with the locals, eating diner, and encouraging each other during the banks is all worth it.

Just don't be walking the streets at 3AM right Ken? :lol:
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Methos wrote: Just don't be walking the streets at 3AM right Ken? :lol:
Just depends what your into...........Right Ken :o
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
Ken

Post by Ken »

:oops:

Can't argue with Mark's logic. Fun factor was amazing. What made it better than MGC for me was the tourney. Just don't like the way MGC runs the main tourney. Clock chaos and pingolf this year were way more fun.