2018 Intra-State League Championship

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
pinballgap

Re: 2018 Intra-State League Championship

Post by pinballgap »

Neo said Twisted Flippers wanted to represent also.
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Hello,

The 2018 Wisconsin Intra-State Pinball League Tournament will be on Saturday, December 1, 2018 with people arriving around 9:30 AM and play starting at 10 AM at my residence near Neenah, WI. The pinball machines are in the basement which can be accessed through the stairway at the back of the garage.

This tournament started with just the three leagues in Milwaukee, Madison and Fox Cities, but I had other leagues reach out to me to participate for this year. While I enjoyed the original format, I didn’t want to exclude a league and I want to continue to grow interest in competitive pinball.

With the increase in pinball leagues in Wisconsin, we have six leagues being represented, so I devised a way to have each league face every other league four times. The format will be ten rounds with 16 three-player groupings. Points will be awarded 5-3-1 based on finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Extra balls will be plunge only. Total point accumulation will determine which league will be the 2018 champion. If there is a tie for a first place, the last round scores will determine the winner. If that is a tie, scores from previous rounds will be used to determine a winner, so later rounds matter in the case of a tie. Each member of the winning league will receive a trophy.

Each league will need to bring an 8-person team. The expectation is that each person of your team is a member of your league. It is also expected that you select the best members of your team that are available for the Intra-state based on however you rank your league (IE no cherry-picking players or including players that are not regularly part of your league). Please email me your team members once they are selected so I can get things set in a spreadsheet that will calculate all of the points for teams and individuals.

From an IFPA-standpoint, we’ll treat this as a match play tournament, with final point totals for individual players determining final rankings. If there is a tie for first, second or third place, there will be a one game playoff to determine final positions. For individual results, first place will win $50, second place will win $25 and third place will win $10.

We will also have a one-game side tournament that will count for IFPA points. Each person will have one free play on the machine and top four qualifying players will have a one game playoff to determine a winner. Additional attempts can be made at $2 per attempt, but priority will be given to players that haven’t played yet. The winner of the top four playoff will receive money paid by the additional attempts.

The one casualty of this tournament is that from a timing perspective, we won’t have time for a follow-up tournament as the Fox Cities league will have our December league event that evening starting at 6 PM.

Below are the participating leagues and league representative. Please let me know your team members as soon as you can so I can get them loaded into the spreadsheet.

• Madison League – Sean Spindler
• Titletown League – Erik Thoren
• Milwaukee Flipper League – Paul Okruhlica
• North Shore League – Fred Walls
• Twisted Flippers League – Neo Skywalker
• Fox Cities League – Eric Strangeway

Fees will be $20 per person. Lunch and beverages will be provided. Lunch will most likely be pizza. I’d like each league representative to collect the $20 fee from each of their team members, as I won’t have time to track down fees for 48 people. I’m sure it will get warm in the basement, so dress appropriately. Please wear any league shirts that you may have so you can represent your league.

I currently have over 30 machines that will be available to play. Below is the current game list (subject to change):

1. Rocky and Bullwinkle
2. Star Trek Premium
3. Metallica Pro
4. Ghostbusters Pro
5. Whitewater
6. The Addams Family
7. Creature from the Black Lagoon
8. Star Trek: The Next Generation
9. Dr. Who
10. Roadshow
11. Twilight Zone
12. X-Men LE
13. The Walking Dead Pro
14. Wheel of Fortune
15. The Simpsons Pinball Party
16. Family Guy
17. Ripley’s Believe it or Not
18. Iron Maiden Pro
19. Jungle Lord
20. Space Invaders
21. Future Spa
22. Embryon
23. Harlem Globetrotters
24. Melody
25. Meteor
26. Centaur II
27. Elektra
28. Firepower
29. Eight Ball Deluxe LE
30. Alien Poker
31. Lightning
32. Time Warp (maybe – still a project)

If you choose to drink alcoholic beverages, please don’t over-indulge and be sure to have a designated driver. Do not bring any illegal drugs to my house. If you smoke, please do so outside and be sure to extinguish and properly dispose cigarettes. I’m OK with people wearing shoes inside, just be sure they are clean and dry.

Updates and discussion will be posted on Wisconsinpinball.com here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1620.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I’m looking forward to an awesome day of pinball.

Thanks,
Eric
Last edited by Eric_S on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Thanks again Eric for putting this on. It will be a lot of fun.
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Stern Pinball has sponsored this event by sending three translights and some action figures. Big thanks to Stern!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

If any leagues need a sub to fill your roster, I am your huckleberry.

I wont make top 8 in the Mad City league but would love the invite to play at this fun event in anyone needs a spot filled.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm If any leagues need a sub to fill your roster, I am your huckleberry.

I wont make top 8 in the Mad City league but would love the invite to play at this fun event in anyone needs a spot filled.
Per the rules, you have to play for your respective league unless you are apart of more than one league. You can’t just invite yourself to another league. We would love to have Jordan play in our league this year but he is not in the top 8 of our league for the season.
Exceptions of course if someone can not make it in a leagues top 8 they can go down the list.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TomGWI wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:13 pm
Hilton wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm If any leagues need a sub to fill your roster, I am your huckleberry.

Per the rules, you have to play for your respective league unless you are apart of more than one league. You can’t just invite yourself to another league. We would love to have Jordan play in our league this year but he is not in the top 8 of our league for the season.
Exceptions of course if someone can not make it in a leagues top 8 they can go down the list.
I am of course happy to join their league also. I can't gaurentee i will make it to many nights, but i will try. With likely november league nights still to be played, i can try to make that one if needed (unsure how restrictive or open nded some of these leagues are?)
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:06 pm
TomGWI wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:13 pm

I am of course happy to join their league also. I can't gaurentee i will make it to many nights, but i will try. With likely november league nights still to be played, i can try to make that one if needed (unsure how restrictive or open nded some of these leagues are?)
So why should we pick you over one of our own members (or any of the other leagues)? What are your accomplishments? What are you going to bring to the table for the league you will play for to help bring that team to victory?
What is your current league rank (assuming you are still part of the Madison Pinball League)? Sell yourself to the leagues.
Your kinda like a free agent.
Maybe Eric S can trade me to the Milwaukee league for Dave Daluga and a few players to be named later. :lol:
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I know some the of leagues seemed to be in the starting phases and having trouble possibly filling an 8 man roster. I know some of these leagues are also very open ended as they build their membership (people come and people go as room allows)

If they needed an 8th person to make sure they had a full team, then I was offering to play as this can be a fun event.

I sadly have not been able to make many Madison League nights and am not a top 8 qualifier.

Way to kick a dude when he is down...
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

I appreciate you trying to help a league out if they need to fill a roster but I didn’t see any posts on here saying we are having trouble getting a team together. Which leagues were you referring too?

Not trying to kick anyone while your down, just trying to keep the event fair. The whole purpose of the event is to have the best players from your league play against other leagues and not bring in people who want to play.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

boustrophedonic wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:08 pm Hi Eric,

We had a couple folks interested, but nowhere near 8. So please go ahead without us. Next year I'll try to get people thinking about it sooner so we have a better chance of getting quorum. :)

Thanks!
-Fred
Looks like Fred may have been struggling to fill a rooster and I would happily join their league to help them make it to 8/keep it at 8.

If the whole purpose is to have the best players from each league then you are failing at that. I dont know how other leagues accumulate points, but in Madison, if you show up to every league night then you are top 8 come end of the year. If you miss a league night then you wont be top 8.

Doesn't mean the top 8 are not good players, but if you asked each of them to pick the best 8 players to put together a team I can promise you they would be adding some not in the top 8 standings that just were unable to make it to league nights.

I thought the whole purpose was to have fun playing competitive pinball and to welcome as many people as possible to come play. The twist is you have predetermined teams that are playing individually but accumulating points as a team for the team prize.

It is your thing, run it how you want.

I did not think it was a big deal to offer myself as a free agent IF any team was in need of an 8th person. If that is not allowed, then cool.

If they are looking for my stats, they are on IFPA and I have beat every single one of the other competitors at least once in the past. If I have an on day then I could definitely earn some points for their team and take some points off other teams.
Last edited by Hilton on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Also if you guys decide to allow a full free agent team, then I would be happy to try and get 8 free agents together.

Could be fun to have a scrapper team
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 am
boustrophedonic wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:08 pm Hi Eric,

We had a couple folks interested, but nowhere near 8. So please go ahead without us. Next year I'll try to get people thinking about it sooner so we have a better chance of getting quorum. :)

Thanks!
-Fred
Looks like Fred may have been able to fill a rooster and I would happily join their league to help them make it to 8.

If the whole purpose is to have the best players from each league then you are failing at that. I dont know how other leagues accumulate points, but in Madison, if you show up to every league night then you are top 8 come end of the year. If you miss a league night then you wont be top 8.

Doesn't mean the top 8 are not good players, but if you asked each of them to pick the best 8 players to put together a team I can promise you they would be adding some not in the top 8 standings that just were unable to make it to league nights.

I thought the whole purpose was to have fun playing competitive pinball and to welcome as many people as possible to come play. The twist is you have predetermined teams that are playing individually but accumulating points as a team for the team prize.

It is your thing, run it how you want.

I did not think it was a big deal to offer myself as a free agent IF any team was in need of an 8th person. If that is not allowed, then cool.

If they are looking for my stats, they are on IFPA and I have beat every single one of the other competitors at least once in the past. If I have an on day then I could definitely earn some points for their team and take some points off other teams.
If Fred needs you on his team I am fine with that and I’m sure others will be too.

I can’t comment on how the Madison Pinball League is run as I am not a part of the league. It’s up to the leagues to determine who their best players are not anyone else but the point is to have players from your league and not to field a league of all star players from outside your league.

It’s kinda like the Madison City Championship. If you are not in Madison or play in 30-50% of the events, then you can’t win the belt. Right?
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:41 am Also if you guys decide to allow a full free agent team, then I would be happy to try and get 8 free agents together.

Could be fun to have a scrapper team
Again, you are missing the point of the event. The event is aimed at bringing the leagues together in the spirit of competition not to field a random team of players.
PinJohn

Post by PinJohn »

I think if you check with Fred our Rooster for North Shore is indeed full. No outside cocks or chickens needed. ;)