I really want to try Flip Frenzy AKA Pinball Pinball Pinball

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
epthegeek

I really want to try Flip Frenzy AKA Pinball Pinball Pinball

Post by epthegeek »

I heard about this format on the Head2Head podcast and it sounds really fun for a casual/social tournament. So somebody should run one, or enough people should get together so we can run one at my place. Or something.

Here's a breakdown of how it works, as best as I understand it:

## SUMMARY ##

Flip Frenzy is a timed tournament format in which players compete in 2 player games. Upon completion of the game, the win/loss is reported and one of the 2 players enters a ‘queue’ of waiting players. The first person already in the queue then goes to play the player that stayed on the game. At the end of the time limit, the player with the most ‘wins’ is the winner. Ties are broken by lower numbers of losses.

## SETUP ##

* Set a Time Limit

The first thing to do is set a time limit. Popular choices seem to be 2 to 3 hours. On average, people generally get 7 or 8 games in per hour. Run too short and you may not end up with enough differentiation in scores. Running too long and players may wear out/mutiny!

* Determine How many/Which games to use

There should always be a few people in the Queue ready to go. Players won’t ever wait too long, but if you have a few in the queue that gives them a short break between games to use the bathroom or something similar without falling behind. The more players you have, the more games will be running, so the more you should pad the queue.

## STARTING THE TOURNAMENT ##

* Assign first matches and games

However you’d prefer, generate 2 player matches and assign games for the start of the tournament. You can do everything random selection, or let one player pick a game and the other position from the available games — whatever the preference of the TD is.

* Start the timer and get cracking!

Once all the matchups and games are assigned, an official start is called and all games begin.

## UPON COMPLETION OF A GAME ##

* Determine which player returns to the queue

The ‘default’ way to do Flip Frenzy seems to be: Loser stays at the game, unless this is their second loss, then the winner stays at the game. One interesting variant I’ve seen is Player 1 stays at the game (and is Player 2 next game) and Player 2 goes to the queue — regardless of who won/lost. This prevents a situation where a player COULD play the same game 3 times in a row.

* Report results and enter the queue

The player leaving the game (see above) goes to wherever the queue is and records the win and loss for the game they just played using whatever method of record keeping the tournament is using. They inform the player at the front of the queue where they just came from, and join the queue at the back of the line. The first player from the queue goes to play the game they just left.

## MANAGING THE QUEUE ##

With groups of a decent size, or that you don’t trust to keep things honest, it’s a good idea to have a TD manage the queue and track the scores. They can make sure that the order of the queue is legit and someone isn’t jumping places in line.

Having a designated spot for the queue is a good idea. That way players can just report to that area after their game, and if they’re not 100% sure how to proceed, other players or a TD can guide them along. You can track position in the queue any number of ways - but a row of chairs is probably the most straight forward.

The person in the front of the queue is the next to play. If for some reason they’re not at the queue area when a new player is needed, the next person would step up. When the missing player returns from wherever they went, they rejoin the queue at the front and take the next available game opportunity.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
Hilton

Re: I really want to try Flip Frenzy AKA Pinball Pinball Pinball

Post by Hilton »

I am IN!!!

Sounds great and I really want to try this also.

It sounds like Dr John (and emily) have a software that both tracks and allows display on a monitor of current standings?
Anyone know where to get this software?

I mean it could all be easily done on a white board with sticky notes, but a software would be slick also.

I would be happy to run this as a ballers in the future or run it at the Alt Brew monthly next year to work out the logistocs.
I like the frantic and fun sounding pace of this.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Eric > any luck on getting ahold of this software?
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

No. I don't really have connections. heh.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
BrewNinja

Post by BrewNinja »

This sounds fun. Did you end up finding the software?
Black Hole, F14, Dirty Harry, Walking Dead Premium, Fish Tales, Comet, Metallica, The Shadow, Whirlwind, Black Knight 2000, Deadpool
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I have a copy. It is all run through Google doc.

After getting a decent idea of it, it could also be run on paper pretty easily if you have 20 or fewer people.

I am going to do a few test runs on google doc when I get some time, but plan to use it at an Alt Brew monthly sometime soon.