Guardians of the Galaxy Launch PLUS Monthly! >> December 16

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
u2sean

Guardians of the Galaxy Launch PLUS Monthly! >> December 16

Post by u2sean »

Howdy Everyone!

This Saturday(December 16th) there will be TWO tournaments happening at Schwoegler's. First is the Official Stern Pinball GOTG Launch party. Qualifying goes from 11:00am-~3:30pm and playoffs immediately follows qualifying. This will wrap up in time for the regular monthly tournament that will start at 6pm. This will be a good opportunity to increase your IFPA points, for those looking to move up in the WI standings! Participating in each also gets an entry in the drawing for the Madison Pinball machine giveaway - BONUS! The drawing for your spot in the Final Four will take place after qualifying is complete in the regular monthly (around 8pm). Hope to see you out there! Any questions - feel free to reach out. Thanks all!

GOTG Launch Details:
Every participant arriving between 11:00pm-3:30pm is provided one FREE game on GOTG. If all participants in attendance at any given time have already played their free game, then they are allowed to play additional qualifying attempts ($1 per attempt; Players responsibility to Void any score that is not higher than previous attempt). Priority of play is given to any arriving players that have not yet played their 1st attempt and they will be bumped to the front of the line for all players waiting to play their 2nd+ attempts. Highest score for each player at the end of qualifying is used to determine the final 1-4 Seeds.

Seeds 5-8 will be determined by a separate 3 game ticket that can be optionally purchased for $1. Games will be Aerosmith, Fish Tales and Aztec ($2.50 total if you opt to play the ticket in its entirety). Combined ranking/scores for a single 3 game ticket will be used to rank players for the these additional seeding positions (like a mini- old school PAPA bank). The top four unique finishers on this bank NOT already in the top 4 on GOTG will advance to the playoffs!

Playoff format:
Qualifiers 1-3-5-7 and 2-4-6-8 will play PAPA style 4-player games/ match play across 6 pre-selected games with Launch game as 1 of the games. 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring based on finishing position for each game and combined total used to determine whom advances. Player position on all games for playoff round selected with priority given to higher seed to lower seed. Play position will be maintained for the entire playoff match. When games are open and available for play, each playoff group is required to efficiently play through all games (i.e. multiple games being played simultaneously). Top 2 players from each group advance to finals round. If there is a tie after all games, the player with the higher score on the Launch game in that playoff round advances.

Finals round the remaining 4 players will play PAPA style 4-player games/ match play across 6 pre-selected games with Launch game as the final game.

Prizes: Trophies and prizes provided by Stern Pinball, Madison Pinball and Schwoegler's.
*format subject to change
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
pfcjimmy

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Launch PLUS Monthly! >> December 16

Post by pfcjimmy »

Anyone else put much time on this game?
I've put about 20 games so far and it seems to be the best strategy for a decent score is Groot Multiball and then lock balls in Groot to multiply the jackpots like on Aerosmith.
5-6 jackpots to get the super jackpot which can be huge if you have at least a couple balls relocked.
I haven't seen much value in the modes and Orb Multi seems too much risk for the little reward compared to Groot Multi.

And watch out for that left drain!
Fun game overall
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

I've played it less than 10 times. Sad, I know.... Groot Multiball seems to be the best way to get points. On an earlier version of the software, there was a mode (I don't remember which one) that gave a ton of points when I completed it. Maybe that was a score balance problem, or maybe modes can be lucrative if you finish them.

I agree - watch out for that left drain! Here's hoping that Stern does one more code update before Saturday! :D
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
jzach

Post by jzach »

I prefer the right drains, but that just may be me.
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Thanks for hosting Sean and Garrett! The tournament could not have run smoother. It was a super fun day and it seemed like everyone had a great time. Thanks for the great giveaways and Final Four Trophies! :D
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Congrats on the win Tim!
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Thanks, man! It was a real battle at the end with Graffite, Buddha, and Pitner just blew GOG out. He put up around 300 Mil...
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

It was a pleasure losing to you Tim. :lol:

Tournament/Launch Party was a lot of fun. Thanks again Sean and Garrett.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TomGWI wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 pm Thanks again Sean and Garrett.

what am I, chopped liver :D
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Tim E wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am Thanks, man! It was a real battle at the end with Graffite, Buddha, and Pitner just blew GOG out. He put up around 300 Mil...
I heard there were some INSANE scores on GOTG and Aerosmith!

You need to come over and give a tutorial on GOTG now that you have figured it out. I have only played it a handful of times now and most of those were on the original code.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

You were only there for 30 minutes. :lol:
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 pm
Tim E wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am Thanks, man! It was a real battle at the end with Graffite, Buddha, and Pitner just blew GOG out. He put up around 300 Mil...
I heard there were some INSANE scores on GOTG and Aerosmith!

You need to come over and give a tutorial on GOTG now that you have figured it out. I have only played it a handful of times now and most of those were on the original code.
Tutorial for GOTG: Groot Multiball.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TomGWI wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm
Hilton wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm

You were only there for 30 minutes. :lol:
I was there helping move all the games and setup/scorekeep for almost 4 hours, lol.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

This game is at Schwoeglers right? What is the current lineup there? I have to burn up some vacation time and think I might take a day this week and phuck around over there a bit since I have never been there. I am between Schwoeglers and Geeks mania.... never been to either.... which would you guys/gals go to if you had an afternoon to burn?
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

If I had a whole afternoon to burn I would go to Geeks. When you have the time, the single payer entry fee is a great deal. I rarely have a whole afternoon to play pinball, and enjoy having a beer when playing pinball for fun so that is where the coin play wins out. I suggest both if you have the time. They both offer a very different experience and both are fun for different reasons.

Current line ups are on www.madisonpinball.com

GOTG is leaving from Schwoegs later today if all goes as planned. Will be heading over to Pooleys to fill the void since NBAFB is gone now.
You could easily swing by Pooleys on the way to/from the westside. If doing so, then be sure to swing by Alt Brew to check out some of the rare stuff there (TNA and Hobbit and Aliens plus 5 others)
Last edited by Hilton on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.