WTB: Gottlieb Dimension head (or parts head)

Buy, Sell, and Trade Pinball Machines and Parts
jasonm

WTB: Gottlieb Dimension head (or parts head)

Post by jasonm »

Picked up a Gottlieb Dimension on craigslist that didn't have the head. Long shot, but looking for a head for the game; or one that could be swapped in place/parts to build one. Even if backglass is missing, not a problem; just seeing what's out there for now.
AlexF

Re: WTB: Gottlieb Dimension head (or parts head)

Post by AlexF »

Ah that's you? I didn't make the connection on Pinside. Congratulations on the pickup. Super cool game. I sent an email to a friend that deals in EM arcades and pinballs. It's a longshot but he may have something. Somebody somewhere likely has a Dimension head squirreled away.
jasonm

Post by jasonm »

There's a guy who replied in the pinside thread that he has a 2001 head that's mostly complete. He wants $50 for it, which didn't seem bad. It was stripped of a bit, but sounds like it's a good starting point. I'm on "the list" with Ronald Webb for a repro backglass as well.

Let me know if your friend has something. If he's local and it's a bit more complete, I wouldn't mind that instead. I'm figuring with getting all the missing stuff, if I can be all in for under $500 I wouldn't be doing too bad. Plus, it actually being a fun game helps.
AlexF

Post by AlexF »

No dice from my guy. I thought that may be the case but worth a shot.

The 2001 head may be the next best option. The lighting will be a bit different and probably quite a bit different mechanically but it's at least a feasible starting point. Some guys with a schematic and a pile of parts could build a new working head. That seems like a daunting task to me. If you have the skills it would be a triumphant resurrection.
aahgo

Post by aahgo »

I think your best bet is to try and find a Dimension head. It will be far less work and hassle. Did you inquire from the seller what happened to the original head? Maybe you can track it down? Otherwise, I would continue to post WTB ads on the typical sites (pinside, RGP, Mr. Pinball, facebook, etc..). Also contact the people that advertise EM parts for sale to see if they have something. Dimension, being an add-a-ball, will be found mostly around Wisconsin and the NY/CT areas, so you may want to concentrate your searches there.

If you do decide to use the 2001 head, I can help with pictures of the inside of Dimension's head.
AlexF

Post by AlexF »

I agree. I still think I'd probably buy the 2001 head. For $50 it's a nice back-up plan. Actually if you are so inclined it may be a cheap and resourceful way to make a complete machine. It's nice that the paint will be correct. I guess it all depends on your skill set and level of motivation which route to go. Finding a true Dimension head would be ideal but who knows how long that will take. It will probably show up for sale immediately after converting the 2001 head. :D
jasonm

Post by jasonm »

I'll still keep searching a a Dimension head. It'd be cool to get the game up and running, but it'll be a long project. Not sure yet how much work I'm putting into this, but for the current money spent; it's fine just sitting for now and seeing what comes up. I guess I'll see where I'm at once the repro backglass is done and ready to be purchased. That'd be a large expense, so I'll probably make a decision around that time.

I'm fine with grabbing the 2001 head for now and possibly piecing the Dimension internals together. It shouldn't be THAT hard, it doesn't look like much is in there. Having more pics would help, and I also know Sean bought Tim N's not too long ago; so I could chat with him about comparing the 2 eventually and building mine out.
pinwhoo

Post by pinwhoo »

Yup, grab the 2001 head now as it may have a better frame than the D one that you will eventually find. Also you can then have the WTB ad say you only need the light board. It may seem strange there would be someone with only the light board and not the frame, but it does happen.
Also post on the Allentown thread as there are lots of em guys that go there.
Good luck.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Like others have said, definitely grab that 2001 head. I've got Dimension (and no, I won't sell you parts from mine! :)) so if you have any questions on wiring or need pictures let me know and I'll gladly send them to you! Good luck getting this game back up and running, Jason!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
aahgo

Post by aahgo »

I took some pictures of the inside of the head for my Dimension for your reference (see link below).

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/aahgo/library/Dimension

And yes, I know I need to clean my score reels and replace some bulbs...it's amazing how bad it got since I shopped it out 20 years ago. :D
jasonm

Post by jasonm »

aahgo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am I took some pictures of the inside of the head for my Dimension for your reference (see link below).

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/aahgo/library/Dimension

And yes, I know I need to clean my score reels and replace some bulbs...it's amazing how bad it got since I shopped it out 20 years ago. :D
Awesome, thanks for the pics! I appreciate it!