Starting to look for a first pin - advice wanted.

Buy, Sell, and Trade Pinball Machines and Parts
moe

Starting to look for a first pin - advice wanted.

Post by moe »

Starting to look for ideas for a first pin: tips on buying, what to look for at MGC, any other advice.

Time frame: March/April
Budget: <$2000. Might be able to stretch it a bit further.

Features I'd like:
Something good for home use that doesn't feel the same every play.
Solid State.
DMD is a major bonus.
Not crazy hard to find replacement parts for when the need arises.
ChrisS

Re: Starting to look for a first pin - advice wanted.

Post by ChrisS »

Hey Moe,

You will find there are lots of options out there in that price range and there are many of us here that will have things for sale.

Its def best to try and sort out a deal before MGC. I think you will find better pricing on things and it will give you a chance to look it over in better light and play it without a lot of noise.

I'm not sure what you mean by "same everyday play" but to be honest I think you are better served to find something that has a "fan" layout or is tried and true. In a small collection of 1 you want something that will have satisfying shots so you feel good about shooting the machine and feel like you are accomplishing something. I love ghostbusters but I think I would tire of it in a collection of 1 because it plays tough and mean. It is incredibly frustrating a lot of the time.

For 2K I think you will find some decent System 11 machines. Taxi, Dr. Dude, Cyclone, Police Force.

You will also find some DMD machines if you aren't super picky. They will most likely be player / above condition but not collector quality. NBAFB is close to a 2K machine these days. Party Zone (I miss mine) is a fun game. For a little more than 2K you should be able to find a Fishtales, Maybe a DemoMan or a Getaway. Black Rose is unique in play and layout and is below 2K.

I have a few I'll be spinning off in the coming months since I am out of space and need to make some room for Iron Maiden...........See what I did there. :lol:

Good luck.
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
moe

Post by moe »

By not playing the same every time I guess I meant it isn't the same path through the game of this is step 1 this is step 2. Something with multiple ways to progress. Though that might be asking a lot in the process range.
moe

Post by moe »

What were you thinking of selling in the coming months out of curiosity?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

It sounds like you are looking for a mode based game with different selectable paths to choosing which mode you play.

There are a lot of different games close to your price range that fit that bill..

Most Data East titles play exactly like this, along with games like Demo Man, Judge Dredd, etc.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

moe wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 am What were you thinking of selling in the coming months out of curiosity?
It’s hard to say. We will see once I get home and get some things together.

Probably Jokerz. Players condition
Breakshot
Family guy
Demoman

Maybe The Rolling Stones.

Problem is there are others I would like. :P

This hobby is tough.
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

The only solution is to get into Skee Ball. A half dozen of those and you won’t have to worry about pinball stacking up in the basement. :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Chris K wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:20 am The only solution is to get into Skee Ball. A half dozen of those and you won’t have to worry about pinball stacking up in the basement. :)
Man I was over at Jay’s and we played some Skeeball. Now I want 2.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

If you get two, leave room for a cot, too, cause I’ll camp at your place for a weeklong tourney :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses