Found this while cleaning out the computer.

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Ken

Found this while cleaning out the computer.

Post by Ken »

A few years ago I was asked to write an article for the Milwaukee pinball zine. As far as I know it never made it to print. I got a chuckle reading it after forgetting about it for a while. Figured since I put the time into it, it might as well see the light of day.

MadCity Pinball
By Ken Kulig

Wisconsin has always been a hotbed for pinball. Being so close to Chicago how could it not be? And while the resurgence of pinball has really taken off in Milwaukee, Madison has been left wanting. Sure there were a few locations to play pinball, but the machines were usually in disrepair and poorly maintained.
More than a few of the state’s highest ranked players reside in or near Madison. Mike Sievert, Tim and Todd Enders, Hilton Jones, Sean and Ryan Spindler, and Wisconsin’s youngest rising star Ian Seidler, just to name a few.
With no great location to play, the MadCity Flipper league was started in 2013. It was so popular that an immediate wait list was started for those wanting to get in on the action. I was lucky enough to get in right away. League members graciously open their home and share their collections with the rest of the group. But this takes quite a bit of planning and effort. Madison still needed a public place to hang and play some pinball.
Hilton Jones had thought the same thing for quite a while and had been working on securing a location that would allow him and other league members to put a few machines in their place of business. In February of this year Hilton announced to the group at wisconsinpinball.com that a location had been found. Pooley’s on the east side of Madison. He sought input from the community on the best nights and times to host a tournament. And when the machines were installed on April 1st, the first Pooley’s tournament was held on April 9th. And every second Wednesday of the month at 6:30 P.M. the competition continues.

When I walked into my first tournament at Pooley’s the first thing I noticed was many familiar faces. People who a few short months ago had been strangers, but had become close friends after only a few league meetings. The second thing I noticed was the large number of new faces. It was a pleasant surprise, and I tried to meet as many of them as I could. One of the great things about Pooley’s is the space! While I enjoy the closeness of tourneys at Uptowner and Finks, sometimes it’s nice to spread out. Plenty of tables and chairs at Pooley’s allow everyone to have a seat if they wish, order a huge platter of nachos and a pitcher of beer and still have room. I encouraged some of my Milwaukee pinball friends to join me. Friends like Paul Okruhlica, Mike Corbett and BJ even picked me up on their way so that we could carpool. Others heard and made the journey on their own. I highly recommend you make the trip too. The games are meticulously maintained and play like they should. They even have QR codes and email addresses on the machine to instantly report any issues. Coin drop is the only entry fee and the tournament flows smoothly even with 30 players which has been the biggest event yet. I frequent Pooley’s on a regular basis to play The Addams Family, Rollergames (with a brand new STRONG upper flipper!), Star Trek (Stern), and Funhouse. It hasn’t helped me win a tournament yet but winning isn’t the only reason I go!

For more information on Pooley’s monthly tournament visit madisonpinball.com
Hilton

Re: Found this while cleaning out the computer.

Post by Hilton »

nice write up Ken!

Man things change quickly in the pinball world.

I just wish I was still part of those elite players you listed :)

Hope to see you at another Pooleys soon.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hoping to make the 10th!
tullster

Post by tullster »

Well done Ken!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ken wrote:Hoping to make the 10th!

see you there!

Fingers crossed there may be something new in the line up by then ;)
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Ken, that's a great writeup! I certainly wouldn't consider myself a top WI player, but thanks for the plug! I just ride on the coat-tails of siblings. :D

Things have definitely changed a LOT in the last 2 years! Hanging with pinball peeps is always fun. The great group of people I've met over the years is the best part of this hobby! Looking forward to what's in store the coming years!!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice writeup! Thank you for sharing.