Center Drain Post Plug

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
CftBL

Center Drain Post Plug

Post by CftBL »

I have asked a couple people directly and not had any luck, so I thought I would cast a wider net.
I want to remove the center drain bounce post from my Creature, but I do not want to just be left with the ugly little hole (that will likely scratch up the ball). Does any know where I could get a plug for the hole that is left when you remove this pin? I'm thinking there has to be a nylon plug available but I cannot find it.

Thanks!

Mike
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
cad-kid

Re: Center Drain Post Plug

Post by cad-kid »

The question I have is does the post a screw in or does it have a machine thread that goes through the PF and held in with a nut?

If it is a screw in setup - a small screw might work if you countersink it. If it's the other style, I would use a wooden dowel.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Bad news.... Creature didn't come with a center post..... Unfortunately someone added one to yours it sounds like. Personally I would leave it unless you are prepared to file down the hole, fill it with some JBWeld, and then touch it up to match the center area where it resides.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:Bad news.... Creature didn't come with a center post..... Unfortunately someone added one to yours it sounds like. Personally I would leave it unless you are prepared to file down the hole, fill it with some JBWeld, and then touch it up to match the center area where it resides.

I have seen 3 CFTBL with what all appeared to be center posts as factory. All 3 were reimports that went overseas originally.

I have seen plugs that fit these holes for other games but cant seem to figure out where to find them online.

I wonder if Tully knows?
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Who are all these dirty furriners drilling holes in our Creatures!? First the Fish Tales flippers, now this?? :D
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

ralphwiggum wrote:Bad news.... Creature didn't come with a center post..... Unfortunately someone added one to yours it sounds like. Personally I would leave it unless you are prepared to file down the hole, fill it with some JBWeld, and then touch it up to match the center area where it resides.
I agree I would leave it. If you do decide to fill with JBWeld, take a large washer and use the middle hole as a template to paint a neat circle over the patch and then apply a slightly larger Mylar circle over the top. It will look as good as any plug.
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

better idea...

Does anyone know where to find these little plugs?

Then mike can pull the post and insert the plug. No need to fill the hole and do touchups and mylar when a plug should work just as well and is reversible when the kids want it back in.
plug2.jpg
post.jpg
tullster

Post by tullster »

I've seen those plugs, but don't know what pinball supplier has 'em. I'd think you could get one at an auto parts store. The ones I'm thinking of are plastic tacks that are used to secure a sagging roof liner. I think they've also got plastic tacks in the screw/washer etc. sections of most hardware stores.

The Creech we've got doesn't have a center post. Weird how some do & some don't.
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

I'll hit the auto parts store at lunch.
I've spent a couple hours wandering through different Ace Hardware stores looking for solutions and I haven't found any.
Now that you mention it, I think I've seen the same thing in used for dash and door panel plugs.
Now I just have to see if I can find one the right size.
Thanks!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I think they are called

"push plugs"

or

"self-retaining plug"

May also search with "fastener" instead of "plug"

Looks to be a bunch online. Buy a handful and see what works. I would try for flatter as to not impact ball movement.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

This company seems to come up on most of my google searches

http://www.widgetco.com/hole-plugs
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

I just emailed widgetco about getting samples. If they send them I'll share if anyone else needs/ wants some. I only need one...
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

I would email pinball resource. They will likely know who makes them.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

If you are just going to plug the hole, i would just take your current post to the hardware store and find a set screw to throw in there. Those will be more flush than any cap will be.
Attachments
img1452425931_1IMDIN551.png
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix