Midwest Gameing Classic

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
pinballgap

Midwest Gameing Classic

Post by pinballgap »

I was wondering if MGC is going to send in for IFPA points or offer something better then a piece of paper for the tournaments.Now that it is moved out of Brookfield there should be no reason not to have at the very least a trophy or plaque for the winners of all the events from pinball to the arcade challenges.If Dan is on this form please chime in but it shows zero respect to pinball players that win a tournament against 60-100 players and get a piece of paper that has a fill in the blanks or worse yet not even for the event you won.And now that it cost to submit to IFPA that also makes it more of a pointless tournament if Dan does not ante up to submit points.I personally will still go to the show and enjoy playing pinball with or without points and I don't have to worry about winning any trophies anyway with my play, but I guess I am hoping for all the effort Hilton, Heidi, Neo and Greg put in for Friday night,and for the winners of any tournament the players get something respectable to remember their achievement.Also, I am not posting hear to be an MGC downer or make this a pick on MGC thing and I love what Dan and the show have become, and love pinball, but if I hear that it is illegal to give out free trophies for a free tournament I am going to throw up.No judge or prosecutor would ever say its gambling or illegal, and although I never heard it from Dan, that is the rummers or the reason for no trophies from my understanding.I do hope that Hilton gets his point system working, but either way, I feel we need to support IFPA and what IFPA has done for competitive pinball and give competitive players something to aspire to.If anyone has heard I am deciding if I should spend my money to go just one day for $45.00 or $100.00 for the weekend.
jasonm

Re: Midwest Gameing Classic

Post by jasonm »

Maybe everyone can get participation ribbons.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Easy there killer. In the big scheme of things, this sounds just a tad bit silly. Just enjoy the hobby, and life will be much better. Pictures are always good ways to remember good times. Just a thought.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

So if I am reading this right, the MGC doesn't issue trophies? Is this a new thing, I thought I have seen trophies from MGC before? I am not a trophy/plaque guy, so I don't care personally, but I could see where a trophy/plaque would be an incentive for some people to play. I think everyone should get a trophy just for being able to play pinball all day long, I am tired of it after about 2 hours.... LOL
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

ralphwiggum wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm So if I am reading this right, the MGC doesn't issue trophies? Is this a new thing, I thought I have seen trophies from MGC before? I am not a trophy/plaque guy, so I don't care personally, but I could see where a trophy/plaque would be an incentive for some people to play. I think everyone should get a trophy just for being able to play pinball all day long, I am tired of it after about 2 hours.... LOL
Unless there is a dollar on the table.......Then you are all in.
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

ChrisS wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:16 pm
ralphwiggum wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm So if I am reading this right, the MGC doesn't issue trophies? Is this a new thing, I thought I have seen trophies from MGC before? I am not a trophy/plaque guy, so I don't care personally, but I could see where a trophy/plaque would be an incentive for some people to play. I think everyone should get a trophy just for being able to play pinball all day long, I am tired of it after about 2 hours.... LOL
Unless there is a dollar on the table.......Then you are all in.
I mean, it IS a dollar.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

they stopped with trophies a few years ago. In short, it is illegal (state level, not just the county) to take in or give out for an event which is luck based (yeah, I know skill is what pinball is all about but still a luck factor; that is how the law works).

I support Dan's decision to not even bother with bringing the potential (no matter how small) of an issue to the show. They went to pieces of paper of no monetary value for the pinball competitions a few years back. Honestly it is just as good as a trophy for those that like trophies. You can just frame it up to display if that is your thing.

As I understand it, none of the big tournaments in the state will be doing IFPA with the new change IFPA is instating in January to charge money.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

ralphwiggum wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm I think everyone should get a trophy just for being able to play pinball all day long, I am tired of it after about 2 hours.... LOL
So really, all I had to do all this time to start making my money back was just stay another 10 minutes until you petered out?

Damn it.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
pinballgap

Post by pinballgap »

In thinking you don't want to go to the 24 Hour Final Battle at The Sanctum in Connecticut with a group of us diehards? :D
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

pinballgap wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am
In thinking you don't want to go to the 24 Hour Final Battle at The Sanctum in Connecticut with a group of us diehards? :D
If there three other dollar bills on the glass when I am playing, I am pretty sure I can play somewhere between 48-72 hours without a bathroom break. Once the dollar bills are removed, I am good for about 5 minutes worth of subpar play.
Current Collection
pinballgap

Post by pinballgap »

ralphwiggum wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am
pinballgap wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am
If there three other dollar bills on the glass when I am playing, I am pretty sure I can play somewhere between 48-72 hours without a bathroom break. Once the dollar bills are removed, I am good for about 5 minutes worth of subpar play.
Sounds like a challenge to me :} I say we go for it and see how long we can go with 20 of those dollar bills each untell one of the group is out.I know I will be able to hit the bathroom first, but it will be worth the 20 just to offer up lots of drinks all around :}