2018 IFPA Points for Wisconsin Pinheads

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
bmaster31

2018 IFPA Points for Wisconsin Pinheads

Post by bmaster31 »

I'm going to start off by saying I really hope this doesn't turn into a rant about how greedy the Sharps are and how stupid this change is. We've all been down that road and there are some differences in opinion, but from what I've heard majority of us aren't happy about it. I'm hoping we can keep this strictly to how the various groups and event coordinators are going handle 2018 events.

So as we approach the end of the year, people are starting to plan events for next year and will have to make final decisions on if they want to pay the $1/per player fee to the Sharps and IFPA. As a Milwaukee player, it's looking like all the monthly's and Twisted Flippers league will NOT be forking over the cash for points. The question sill comes up for launch parties and special events in the area.

I was wondering if the Madison Pinball guys know what they are doing for their monthlies, and for their league? What about future launch parties?

What about the Fox valley guys?

Tom G did you make a decision for your two tournaments next year?

What about the various tournaments at MGC?

All the chatter I have heard when the announcement was first made was that no one was going to pay the fee. Now that it's become more clear that this is not going to change, I was wondering if that is still the feeling or are some people changing their minds.

-Brandon
Hilton

Re: 2018 IFPA Points for Wisconsin Pinheads

Post by Hilton »

I can say that at this point I will not be running any IFPA events in 2018. I do not forsee that changing for me.

I personally am still trying to find some coding help to create a WI based tracking system which would be free. I like the regional competition that occurs currently as people work towards the top 16 slots for an end of year competition. I think it is fun and has brought the scene closer across the state. If there is enough support for a WI based system then I am happy to put forth the effort to get it started. Idea being that it would be transparant and community run.

While I am not the official word for MGC, I spoke with Dan last week as things were unfolding for the new venue and he was clear at that time that MGC will not be paying any money into IFPA to run events.

In short, Mad Rollin and MGC are the 2 largest events in WI (pointwise) and they will not be IFPA starting in 2018.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I should add, that as co-TD for the IFPA WI SCS, I previously committed to run the 2018 IFPA SCS (held in Feb of 2019) as it shifts back to Madison region that year.

I will still run that (assuming it exists) as I have previously committed to doing so. I will likely host it on a personal collection as it wont be affiliated with Madison Pinball or any route based games.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

bmaster31 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:27 pm
What about the Fox valley guys?

Tom G did you make a decision for your two tournaments next year?

-Brandon
I still plan to run IFPA events in 2018. The entry fees won't change. The $1 will just come out of the entry fee.

If I am the only one hosting IFPA events in 2018, at least there will be a WI SCS in 2019.

I will also be running the 2018 WI SCS Championship and it is looking like EricS will host it. I don't see that changing. I assume there will be a $1 charge for the SCS but no details have come out so I don't know how that will effect the SCS entry fee. We are also planning on doing another tournament (likely a 3 strike tournament) after the SCS and will likely be open to more people that want to attend but I have to firm things up with EricS.

As far as our league, Eric and I are still discussing it. I'd like to talk to the heads of the other leagues and see what they are planning to do in regards to IFPA.

Tom.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm I should add, that as co-TD for the IFPA WI SCS, I previously committed to run the 2018 IFPA SCS (held in Feb of 2019) as it shifts back to Madison region that year.

I will still run that (assuming it exists) as I have previously committed to doing so. I will likely host it on a personal collection as it wont be affiliated with Madison Pinball or any route based games.
That is great Hilton. I think the schedule should remain the same with Fox Cities/Madison/Milwaukee alternating years.
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

Good to know, does that include the Madison league? I do have an education and past work history is software development I would be willing to help with some programming if needed. Unfortunately I'm not doing much development work anymore and I don't have much experience in web development. I agree that the state wide competition is a great thing for the community, encourages people to attend more events, and gives us something to work for.

The only thing that worries me, is if none of the major groups hold IFPA events then all it takes is one submission for someone to set the state finals. Unless IFPA has some sort of minimum number of reported events to be eligible to hold IFPA state finals.

Now I'm really curious to see what the Fox Valley guys have decided for their league.

-Brandon
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

TomGWI wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 pm
As far as our league, Eric and I are still discussing it. I'd like to talk to the heads of the other leagues and see what they are planning to do in regards to IFPA.
Milwaukee's Twisted Flipper league had an informal vote via email and only 5 of us voted to submit points. There were probably 10-15 no's and then the rest haven't chimed in yet. So it's safe to say Milwaukee will NOT be an IFPA League starting in 2018.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Regarding MadCity Flippers, we're going to get all members thoughts on it and make a decision in the coming months. If we remain IFPA that cost will come out of dues.

As far as Madison Pinball goes, that's in discussions at this point. I know there are some players that like IFPA, and others that could care less. We're trying to figure out how we can work out monthlies and tournaments to keep everyone happy (but we all know how that usually turns out). If anyone has any preference on the MP events, please come see myself, Hilton or Garrett.

- Sean
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I will also be running the 2018 WI SCS Championship and it is looking like EricS will host it.
I assume you mean you will be running the 2017 SCS (which is held in Feb of 2018).
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 pm

I will also be running the 2018 WI SCS Championship and it is looking like EricS will host it.
I assume you mean you will be running the 2017 SCS (which is held in Feb of 2018).
Yes
RobA

Post by RobA »

The two monthly events that I run with my wife "Milwaukee Ladies League" and the "Bremen Cafe Monthly Tournament" will not be participating in the IFPA in 2018.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

RobA wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:14 pm The two monthly events that I run with my wife "Milwaukee Ladies League" and the "Bremen Cafe Monthly Tournament" will not be participating in the IFPA in 2018.
If we are able to get a software/ website up that is community run, would you be interested in doing a WI based flipper pinball association? (WIFPA) for these events? Bascially something that works effectively the same as current IFPA tracking and would allow us to do a State Championship for those not looking to run IFPA events.

If you, Paul O, Mike R (I think he is the other main MKE TD), NEO/twisted flipper, and anyone else are interested in doing something like this then I think we should all get together soon and see what we can come up with. I am happy to pay any of the web hosting fees.

I am thinking we just need a few things:
1. A simple user interface to allow TDs to submit events which populate in a calendar and we can say the type of event and details and TGP/value of the event.

2. A simple way for TDs to submit results (guessing this is slightly more difficult given player names/etc... and making sure all using the same names to submit, but we could always pull the list from this years WI events and that would give us the majority of regular players for a default)

3. A simple tracking spreadsheet that allows players to see where they stand cumulatively for the year and see their own page/profile.

I think we could probably simplifyy the algorithm the IFPA uses if we wanted things to be a little easier on us. (i.e. the extra points for beating better players probably makes it a bit more complicated?)

I mentioned elsewhere, but if we could build a new system, then I think it would be a good idea to get it done sooner rather than later. That way we could back enter all WI results from this year so far and everyone could see that it works in a similar fashion to what we are all used to already.

I know very little about programming/web stuff, but maybe this is easy to do with someone that has the knowledge and some time.

I am also happy to pay a little cash to get something put together if anyone has the ability to make this happen.
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Just a thought about the name (if this all Wisconsin league does work out); I would forevermore avoid using WiFPA. Instead simply go with something like Wisconsin Pinball League or something like that. I wonder if the Sharpes would get a bit territorial about their name (or versions of it) if a lot of people start bailing out of the IFPA.
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
RobA

Post by RobA »

I would be on board for a separate Wisconsin ranking system but I think all of the tournament directors in the state have to agree to use the Wisconsin system and drop the IFPA.

If both systems are competing I think you will find some tournaments billed as having IFPA points and Wisconsin points. That will just muddy the waters and increase the work for tournament directors who feel they need to make everyone happy.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

CftBL wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:01 pm Just a thought about the name (if this all Wisconsin league does work out); I would forevermore avoid using WiFPA. Instead simply go with something like Wisconsin Pinball League or something like that. I wonder if the Sharpes would get a bit territorial about their name (or versions of it) if a lot of people start bailing out of the IFPA.

Yeah, my mention of WIFPA was jsut to connotate the idea :)

I dont really care what it is named. That said, Josh has been very helpful and is willing to share all sorts of data to help emulate their software.