Hello!

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
vglohaus

Hello!

Post by vglohaus »

I figured I have stalked the message boards long enough without commenting. I've just moved into a new house where the basement is big enough for me to finally start creating the man cave I've always wanted. The basement already has a theatre room built and I also gave up some space so the kids could have a play room. I'm working with about 1500sq feet to do with as I please. I've loved playing pinball ever since I was a little kid. I worked at a movie theatre where there was a small game room that always had a pinball machine in the rotation. I got to play some great games while I worked there. Some of my favorite games were JP, T2, Shrek, The Simpsons, Theatre of Magic, Funhouse, Adams Family, MM, and TOTAN. I read through some posts on Pinside concerning advice as to what their first pinball machine should be. The feedback has been very helpful and I've learned for the most part it's personal preference outside of a few unanimous titles. Some of the games I'm considering for my first machine based on themes I enjoy are TWD, GB, JP, Tron, WCS, LOTR, Shrek, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Adams Family, The Simpsons, and IJ. I think the one I really have my eyes on is TWD. I have zero knowledge on the technical side of pinball machines, I just love to play. Well if you have read all this so far I'm sure I've bored you half to death, but thanks for reading! I hope to be a more active member on the boards and less time stalking going forward!
Eric_S

Re: Hello!

Post by Eric_S »

Welcome to the group. All of the games you listed are a lot of fun. If you can't go wrong with TWD, it is a great game. Where are you located? There are a lot of tournaments/gatherings in the state to check out games.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I second what Eric says, lots of opportunities to check out games in WI and people to meet.

Where are you located?

First to come to my attention on your ISO list is IM. Dave B is selling his IM and for a killer price (best I have seen on a super clean example)
Often what I buy is as much about location and deal. Reality is with 1500sqft to fill, you will buy them all eventually, so get something local for a good price and get to meet a solid member of the community is always a plus.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

If you've got the appetite for the cost, a new-ish Stern is the easiest intro to owning pinball. They're as close to bulletproof as you can get in pinball.

You can save a bunch of cash buying an older table, but if your first and only pinball table takes a dump because some 30-year-old part broke it's pretty disruptive. Save the older stuff until you have a solid table or two.

You may find in a year or two that 1-2 tables are enough, in which case having a couple new Sterns is a good situation. You may also find that you really love or hate maintaining tables, which will help you decide if you want to dig back to the 90's for a less reliable older machine.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you will find something that can meet your budget and your interest of tables. All of the tables you listed are good ones to start off with! You should start out with a mostly working table, and go from there. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but getting a mostly working table, and fiddling around with it to adjust switches, change out bulbs and doing other minor maintenance is a great way to get your feet wet. Once you've learned the basics, then you can get into tables that require a bit more work (if you so desire). There are also collectors that don't touch the game, but best bet is to learn on your table, so that way if something goes wrong, you can better troubleshoot it. Be warned, tables tend to multiply and fill up space...sometimes fast! :D
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Welcome to the group! Always nice when new members introduce themselves. What others have said is spot on. For your first table get one that's solid and doesn't need any work. You can then learn about (hopefully) minor fixes as they crop up. All the games you listed are great titles! Find someone local that has one. There are a lot of good folks on this board that'll help you find one or keep their eyes open for you. Also, if you ever have tech problems, you can always post as everyone is really helpful here.

Good luck on the search for your first game and welcome!

- Sean
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Welcome to the group!
Hilton wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 am First to come to my attention on your ISO list is IM. Dave B is selling his IM and for a killer price (best I have seen on a super clean example)
Thanks for that!

Im just south of the Madison area. You're welcome to kick the tires on IM if you'd like. If you do end up wanting it Id be happy to give you a crash course in breakdown and setup.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
vglohaus

Post by vglohaus »

Thanks for the warm reception everyone. I live in Oak Creek, which is just south of Milwaukee. If anyone has suggestions of places with some newer machines or any events near me please let me know. I'd really like to check some of those new machines out. I've read on Pinside about the Chicago expo coming up in the next few weeks that I'm definitely interested in checking out. I'd definitely like my first machine to be as maintenance free as possibly since I'm just getting into the hobby. I'm pretty mechanically challenged, but I'm good at watching How To YouTube channels. :D Dave I've seen your add and definitely have been mulling it over. Thanks again everyone and I hope to not be such a stranger!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

a few of us over in Madison started sharing our own games out on location a few years back. That is now 35+ games out on route at 4 places around town.

check out www.madisonpinball.com for a list of games and locations.

You can find everything from older EMs a few solid state classics, 90s DMDs that everyone loves (Adams, Indy, Attack from Mars), plenty of newer Stern titles (Star Wars, Aerosmith, Walking dead, ...), and some of the best JJP offerings (Dialed in and Hobbit)

A little bit of a drive for you but we take pride in trying to maintain high quality pinball.

We have regular meetups at each location so stop on out to say hello.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Definitely take a trip to Madison to check out Madison Pinball’s tables! They’re all in great shape, and there’s tons of great stuff representative of all eras of pinball.

Make it a day trip this weekend! I mapped it out for you. :)

https://goo.gl/maps/G8rq6irjNoo
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Cloud7

Post by Cloud7 »

I live just south of you in Caledonia. If you are looking for location games to play, in all honesty Madison has the best condition games to play! The operators in Milwaukee do not take care of their games! The only place I recommend in Milwaukee is Black Bird bar in Bayview. The Madison Pinball guys take amazing care of their machines, it is completely worth the drive to play games that actually function as they should!
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

Location says oak creek -- if you want to swing by muskego you could try out iron man and Spider-Man at my place if you haven't played them much yet. Don't have a walking dead though.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
pthermes

Post by pthermes »

Welcome,

Also in Oak Creek, not many places to play here - as many mentioned most of the MKE operators don't take care of their game. Only place in O.C. to note is the Loves truck stop on Ryan and I94; the WCS in the back "truckers" lounge plays pretty well other than the glare from the room lighting. Blackbird as was mentioned is the place to go locally.