Anybody Interested in a "Critical Hit" Tournament?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
epthegeek

Anybody Interested in a "Critical Hit" Tournament?

Post by epthegeek »

I picked up a deck of Karl DeAngelo's "Critical Hit" cards which support a 3 strike tournament for up to 20 people.

For those of you saying "Who the what now?" I'll sum up: Karl came up with this game that is basically a 3 strike tournament with power ups. You get cards at the start that allow you to do things like play an extra ball at the end of your game to add to your score, or survive your third strike, etc. Everybody gets 2 cards to start with, and you play a round or 2 that lets you earn more cards. Then you actually start the knockout rounds and the cards are in play.

I bought the deck just because I think the idea is amazing and wanted to throw Karl a few bucks -- but if I could wrangle people into actually trying it, that'd be awesome.
Last edited by epthegeek on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
epthegeek

Re: Anybody Interested in a "Critical Hit" Tournament?

Post by epthegeek »

Pic of cards, because why not.
Attachments
IMG_2615.JPG
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I LOVE this idea!

Where can I get a deck/how much?

Also, set a date and count me in!
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

I'm sure Karl will make more - I got it from him at Pinburgh, he had one left.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

I bought a deck as well if you need another to borrow Eric.

I would be interested depending on the date and time.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sounds fun!
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

TomGWI wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 pm I bought a deck as well if you need another to borrow Eric.

I can't imagine running it with more than 20, I'm no Tom Graf. Also that would take a long time.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

epthegeek wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:44 pm
TomGWI wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 pm I bought a deck as well if you need another to borrow Eric.

I can't imagine running it with more than 20, I'm no Tom Graf. Also that would take a long time.
No problem thought I would offer.
RustyLizard

Post by RustyLizard »

I would love to try this after hearing about it on all the podcasts as long as we don't do it on the 5 out of 6 Saturdays that I work. :)
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Can someone forward me a link to the game's rules? I tried searching a bit online and all I saw was signup pages for tourneys. I used to play Magic: The Gathering, so this is right up my alley. Really love card games. Thanks!
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

QuyN wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 am Can someone forward me a link to the game's rules? I tried searching a bit online and all I saw was signup pages for tourneys. I used to play Magic: The Gathering, so this is right up my alley. Really love card games. Thanks!
It's much less card game and much more pinball. You can throw cards before/during rounds to change parameters, but that's really the extent of the card interaction.

There is informal documentation in a Google Docs document that one guy who ran a tournament wrote up and Karl went over to edit. It's got a general overview of how it works, and details/examples of how the various cards work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Em5 ... 3gv7io45yr

So I need to find a Saturday when enough people are available and we can take a crack at it.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

I see. Very cool! Sounds like a fun way to shake things up.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

This sounds like a fun night for Ballers to mix it up a bit. Not being handcuffed by IFPA points definitely has its advantages. I'm down.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I'm up for anything that causes chaos! :)

"Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses