Idiot wants 2know why no delivery?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
RichPundit

Idiot wants 2know why no delivery?

Post by RichPundit »

My friendly rant. Am a long time pin owner, & haven't bought a pin/arcade in a decade+. Joined in January cuz want 2buy some games, particularly a non-pin rifle game. Am a player, not Dealer or Collector.

Joined & contacted other groups too, mostly fb. Have found games 4sale that I likely would have bought if reliable. However, seems no one, even a few miles away, will deliver 2my Appleton basement. I drive a Honda Civic, & have a broken back, cadaver's ACL & other issues (TMI), so pickup is not an option 4me.

If I may, seems 2me that repeat sellers/buyers would need transport each time, hence the skill & resources. I don't! [Also, online retailers sans Amazon, profit from s/h fees. Just bought a $9 flipper with an $8 s/h fee!]

Obviously it is the reality that works 4u, but am curious as2 why? The business/industry workings interest me. Simply curious ...
Pinball GOTownMany.jpg
Pinball GOTownMany.jpg (11.03 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
My lineup: Flying Circus, 4 Aces, Breakshot, Swords of Fury, Arkanoid, Olhausen pool table ...
PinJohn

Re: Idiot wants 2know why no delivery?

Post by PinJohn »

That's a tough situation.

I personally have delivered some games I have sold. One instance about a year ago was for a fellow partially disabled. He came to my house with his wife and adult son and looked over the game etc. He lived within about a 40 minute drive from my home so I delivered the game in my van and his adult son helped me with getting it from my basement, into my van and then into the buyers basement when when we reached his house. I was happy to help.

Recently I sold three games to another fellow who's vehicle could only hold one of the three games. I put two of the games in my van and took them to his house to save him from making multiple trips. Again it was about a 40 minute ride one way which wasn't a big deal.

Best would be to find a friend or two, or a relative with a vehicle. Have them go with you when you inspect/buy. Pay them for gas, treat them to Dinner, Beverages etc.
RichPundit

Post by RichPundit »

Tx PinJohn!

Am confident that transport requires learned skill & sux, so am willing 2add $50 s/h fee 2a fair price 4a reliable game, likely well under $2000, from a trusted Seller. btw, my sons live in California & Texas, smart eh? ...
My lineup: Flying Circus, 4 Aces, Breakshot, Swords of Fury, Arkanoid, Olhausen pool table ...
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I have delivered games to buyers in the past, but honestly it is a real PITA in my experience and rarely would I do it again. Most of us here are collectors and hobbyists so rare to offer shipping/setup.

I have found that it is best that once a game is sold, it is the buyers game to deal with (these are old machines and things break; often in transport). I personally have bought games that worked fine, drove them home 4 miles from where I picked them up and the game no longer worked. I spent 3 days trouble shooting and fixing that game. As a seller I dont care to do this for a buyer and $50 wont cover the hassle from my end.

My thought is if you want delivery/setup/etc... then you are stuck typically paying retail rather than grabbing a good deal. Not many sub 2k pins that are solid, completely gone over, and a seller is willing to transport and set up. That is the sort of service I would expect to pay a premium for.

if you are looking for a great retailer that I know sometimes can accommodate the requests you have, then I would reach out to Chris at KingPin games. Great service IME.
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

I agree, $50 won't cut it for delivery and setup. Even a local sale will tie up 2 hours plus the chance of the game not working, damaging the house moving it, hurting yourself, etc. $150 is probably more realistic for that service.
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

I agree with eric.

We normally charge $150-$200 for delivery and setup (no stairs) $100 more for stairs as it involves an additional person.

You have it correct, you are paying for someone else's skills and time, not to mention their ability to not mark up your house during install.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

And if you want pics, I can show you the marks I've put in my basement. :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

KingPin Games wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am I agree with eric.

We normally charge $150-$200 for delivery and setup (no stairs) $100 more for stairs as it involves an additional person.

You have it correct, you are paying for someone else's skills and time, not to mention their ability to not mark up your house during install.
There's also an extra $50 charge if Kingpin delivers the game in a skin tight "Spooky pinball" ladies shirt :lol:
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

MikeS wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:57 pm
KingPin Games wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am I agree with eric.

There's also an extra $50 charge if Kingpin delivers the game in a skin tight "Spooky pinball" ladies shirt :lol:
Wait, you mean a $50 discount right? ;)
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

I have done some deliverys. Only in a 20 mile radius. Normally it's negotiated and at a close to asking price. I actually have a stair climber for basement but always disclose it may mark up stairs and damage isn't covered. I try to make my games move proof but as Hilton said things do break and you pay for the extra work to address everything we can think of.
I don't care for it and for the skill equipment it's hard to put a price on it. Your not only asking for delivery your asking basement and setup.
The smartest thing you can do is disclose this on the front end as part of the deal. Look locally. And maybe see if a local collector is willing to work with you in getting a game and setting it up for a prearranged fee.
RichPundit

Post by RichPundit »

Tx everyone! No doubt delivery is mostly off the table. As I posted, I have neither the skills or resources 2pick-up. fyi, 4 locals within 10 miles refused delivery. Am very frustrated, & likely not expanding my 4 pins & Arkanoid.

Fortytwo: checked ur profile 4ur location. R u within 20 miles of Appleton? If so, please let me know ur reliable inventory 4a Player, not Collector or Dealer, mostly older machines. Also, do u sell arcade games like vintage rifle games? Tx again - rich
Pinball RosesBuyMore.jpg
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Rich,
The only game i have for sale is my SST that is out of your price range, it wont be available again until after the first week in august.\ plus i am further away than i am comfortable with spending the evening delivering setting up the game.
Normally the most you can get for delivery is basically to your garage and off the truck. So you do have a hard point with trying to get it moved downstairs. I believe you are also asking for someone to set it up not just get it down there? Keep in mind that you are asking for a considerable time investment. most people will rather wait for someone to pick it up and be done with the game.

A few Suggestion.
When talking to someone discuss "Just move in" and not setup. See if a friend can help set it up later to ease the delivery persons mind.
If you are familiar with common issues and fixes state that, then the delivery/setup wont go on for hours because a switch got jammed in moving or a light is out. we consider a game "Yours" once we turn off the power and take the legs off in our house.
If it needs to go downstairs, state the path. Is it a straight shot, how many stairs, from the garage? Any tight turns? Will said pinball guy have to truck across your wife's treasured Italian tiled floor? Will you flip if grease gets on the stairs from the hand truck. What about a hole in the drywall? All things moving company's are insured and accustomed to, not the hobbyist.

Realistically your best bet is to see if any moving company's can move it in from your garage to the basement, and have someone to help set it up. Then you can realistically discuss a deal with garage delivery, and might get local sellers to accommodate you. Either way the seller would expect you to inspect and play the game and pay before tearing down.
Thanks
FortyTwo
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I think the suggestion to get a moving company to help is a good one. People make careers out of moving big, heavy equipment. It's a valuable service, else there wouldn't be moving companies and "free install" sales at appliance retailers.

If you want to make moving pinball tables in and out a habit, relying on a private collector (like most of us) means you're going to miss out on, say, 90% of sales because nobody likes moving pinball tables. If you line up a mover to do it for you, everything becomes very easy. It costs money, but what valuable service doesn't?

For reference, I've only bought a few pinball tables, but of what I've bought I've had:

* One table fry a coil (with lots of cool smoke!) when I powered it up at home
* One table's DMD flake out a couple days later
* One table lose an LED display that worked before packing it up
* One table stop powering up a couple days later
* Numerous bulbs wiggle loose in shipment

In other words, we aren't talking pizza delivery here.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Chris K wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 am I think the suggestion to get a moving company to help is a good one. People make careers out of moving big, heavy equipment. It's a valuable service, else there wouldn't be moving companies and "free install" sales at appliance retailers.

If you want to make moving pinball tables in and out a habit, relying on a private collector (like most of us) means you're going to miss out on, say, 90% of sales because nobody likes moving pinball tables. If you line up a mover to do it for you, everything becomes very easy. It costs money, but what valuable service doesn't?

For reference, I've only bought a few pinball tables, but of what I've bought I've had:

* One table fry a coil (with lots of cool smoke!) when I powered it up at home
* One table's DMD flake out a couple days later
* One table lose an LED display that worked before packing it up
* One table stop powering up a couple days later
* Numerous bulbs wiggle loose in shipment

In other words, we aren't talking pizza delivery here.

Hey Rich,

Read Chris K's post I quoted here, and then read it about 50 more times. If you want something reliable, the only machines I would purchase would be New in Box with a Warranty (and even those aren't necessarily *that* reliable).

These things break when you look at them wrong, it is the nature of the beast. I recently had a knee surgery back in December, and it was the first time I seriously considered getting rid of all my pins and arcade stuff. Once I am physically not able to do this hobby anymore, I am out.

Kind of a tough scenario you are in for sure, but I think it may be best to find a retailer that can offer you a warranty and setup and delivery. While the price will be higher, you may have an easier time than trying to buy from a hobbyist.

Good luck in your search!
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
RichPundit

Post by RichPundit »

Tx again everyone!

Ur right, a professional moving company delivered my two pins (Flying Circus, 4 Aces) from New Jersey to my Appleton basement 20 years ago. Bought two more pins (Breakshot, Swords of Fury) & two arcade games (Ms Pacman, Arkanoid) from a local dealer. Don't remember any discussion wrt delivering to my Appleton basement. I likely paid well, but was unaware. Am an Idiot! :oops: Also btw, had a 7' slate pool table & a 7' metal top air hockey table delivered 2my basement years ago, but no doubt, a not fun task requiring expertise & muscle.

Curious, is anyone buddies with Jeremy West, owner of The Varsity Club in Oshkosh? Am a member, & know he travels statewide a bit, particularly to Madison. He may be able to help me.

Am anxious 2buy a **reliable** vintage, rifle game if anyone is selling. Delivery will be issue 2solve.

Tx again - rich
Pool VarsityBar1.jpg