Star Wars

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Hilton

Re: Star Wars

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:12 am
Hilton wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 am Hey... Sega made so many great games!!!

no need to bag on them :)

So true..... But no one is paying 5k for them (yet, LOL).

I think at the pricing all new pinball is going to, the entire package is to be expected now. Star Wars was close, but the playfield art is really bad. I don't understand how many of the recent Ritchie titles have such poor art. It isn't just the art either, it's the lack of continuity. These inserts look really bad on Star Wars. Would it be *that* difficult to have some artwork flow over them?

I almost seems like Stern knows that Ritchie games sell with his name? They dont give him good artists and dont give him Lyman any more?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Yeah, it is sort of weird. Ritchie games just seem a bit lacking with Stern. They shoot really well, but all of them have more of a "slapped together" sort of feel/look to them compared to some of the other Stern titles.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:51 am Yeah, it is sort of weird. Ritchie games just seem a bit lacking with Stern. They shoot really well, but all of them have more of a "slapped together" sort of feel/look to them compared to some of the other Stern titles.
agreed 100%

The odd thing to me is it seems purposeful since he has the longest development timeframe of any designer.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

A Borg/Sheats Star Wars would have been EPIC! Oh...we can only dream for another millennia in a galaxy far far away...
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

It makes me wonder if there is little input that is given to Steve from outside sources when He is working on a project. I think the game is going to flow and flow well with a lot of satisfying shots but I think the bar has been lifted on what people expect for the price these days.

I'm surprised that based on the praise that GB got with all the toys and extras; that it wouldn't be the new norm.

I also wonder if The liecense holder forced their hand on some of these things.

Obviously, first impressions are mixed but they always are and once it hits the street I think attitudes will shift.

Luckily, I'm not in the market for this title so I can watch from afar.......come one Maiden.
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I don't know, there's a due on CL that's asking $3500 for a Space Jam... :D
ChrisS wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:03 pm I also wonder if The liecense holder forced their hand on some of these things.
That's what I heard in the Pinside grumbling. That someone from Stern said "lower your expectations on the art" when the talk was about fancy hand-drawn stuff, and that Disney wants their own art assets used.

I'm cool with it as is. The first time I see the yellow text crawl, or a hyperspeed jump I'm gonna pee my pants. So long as they nail the video and audio package, playfield art is the least of my concerns.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I think Ritchie is the best choice of designer to do Star Wars as his games have tons of flow and play fast. Borg games are more about bash boys and fighting you back through brutal drains.-something that fits well for games like TWD and Metallica. I don't think Ritchie would have been a good choice for TWD as I don't see that as a flow game. I wish Lyman could do code on all the Stern games but Dwight is a great programmer too.

What Steve really needs is a good art director to work alongside him. Even his games in the 80's and 90's were ugly. If Stern were to hire a guy like JPOP and relegate him to just being an art director that could be a win/win for everyone. I don't like the guy but he's a great art director and will seek out the artists to do the best possible job. He's the reason guys like Zombie Yeti and Matt Andrews are doing pinball art today. I know SWE1 is a turd of a game but the art package (especially on the playfield) is miles ahead of the new Star Wars game.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Chris K wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't know, there's a due on CL that's asking $3500 for a Space Jam... :D
ChrisS wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:03 pm I also wonder if The liecense holder forced their hand on some of these things.
That's what I heard in the Pinside grumbling. That someone from Stern said "lower your expectations on the art" when the talk was about fancy hand-drawn stuff, and that Disney wants their own art assets used.

I'm cool with it as is. The first time I see the yellow text crawl, or a hyperspeed jump I'm gonna pee my pants. So long as they nail the video and audio package, playfield art is the least of my concerns.
They could have used the assets they were given, but still tied them all together a little nicer. That is always what seems to be lacking with the Stern/Ritchie games. The artwork outside of the assets just looks lazy. It looks like examples you would see in a "Photoshop for Dummies" book. The inserts in his games are the worst offenders. I present the worst insert Stern/Ritchie game to date-
Attachments
3140000037low2.jpg
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

That 24 playfield is hideous! His artwork (and inserts) do work well for the senior citizen pinball players though as you don't need your bifocals to see them :lol:
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Pro, Pulp Fiction, GNRLE, Doctor Who, Eight Ball, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

These inserts look really bad on Star Wars. Would it be *that* difficult to have some artwork flow over them?
I was looking at TBL around Freres and he said "Ritchie would never let this happen". I asked him what he was referring to, and he said that Steve hates art over inserts, and pretty much insists against it.

As far as code, I thought Lyman was named the programming director (or something?). So he should at least be offering insight to the rules of pretty much all titles. I may be misunderstanding his role.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

So we can surmise that when Ritchie went to school he failed art, and aced geometry? :D
Current Collection
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I know Star Wars is a dream theme for you Beard Bros. #1.... You in on one?
Current Collection
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I readied space and cleared some pinball funds in anticipation. I told myself it would have to really impress me, but in reality stern could only talk me out of it. I was hoping for some stellar art and layout so my decision would be easy, but not so much.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Methos

Post by Methos »

ralphwiggum wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:41 pm

They could have used the assets they were given, but still tied them all together a little nicer. That is always what seems to be lacking with the Stern/Ritchie games. The artwork outside of the assets just looks lazy. It looks like examples you would see in a "Photoshop for Dummies" book. The inserts in his games are the worst offenders. I present the worst insert Stern/Ritchie game to date-
I think Game of Thrones is a close 2nd. The PF art is horrible. All of the possible art designs the series has to offer and they offer a big ugly color scheme with the houses listed? I get that they had to use the series, but the potential was so great. Think of Paragon, Lost World, all of those Gottlieb EMs...and they came up with that. Pathetic. Star Wars doesn't look much better. It looks like Hasbro put together a table top pinball for kids ages 5 - 10. That's what the art looks like it's for.
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

i think the artwork is ok, they certainly could have done better given the options available.

They have the opportunity to NAIL it on sound though, so will be interesting to see one once it's shipped.

At least we'll know we'll actually get it, unlike Alien..haha, sorry had to... :D
Current: Medieval Madness, Sinbad, Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park