Star Wars

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Chris K

Re: Star Wars

Post by Chris K »

The pics of the Death Star on the Pro look like they have same "crack" as the Premium. Does the Pro Death Star open up too, I wonder? Or they just reusing the same mold (I suspect).

They missed an opportunity to make the Death Star superlaser point at the table in some way, and have a light cast across the playfield, ala the TNG mod.

Ah well, it's not like this table isn't going to be modded beyond recognition!
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Thanks for posting the nice pics. At least they went with "drawn" art, and it's not as terrible that i initially thought. Theme integration will really make or break this game
Hoping to get to play one at some point :)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

The more I look at this I really think the pro is the way to go! It appears it will have the most flow and that is what Ritchie excells at. The prem/le will definately slow things down (similar to got how the upper pf is very fun to shoot but takes away from some of the ritchie flow).

I also think the art will look fine in person. I am not sure what I expected but this fits with standard Ritchie direction for a game.

The rules are sounding to be very GOTesque which I think is a good thing.

Like all new games,I am very excited to play it and see how it is!
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

So i heard Stern is recycling layouts, that Star Wars is essentially Metallica?
Current: Medieval Madness, Sinbad, Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I haven't heard that comparison. I have seen people making comparisons to ACDC. People are always able to find similarities between layouts. it's not that I think they're wrong, it's just that building hundreds of layouts into the same rectangular box over the better part of a century is going to yield a few similarities.

I don't really think SW will play much like MET, since MET felt very bash toy focused. Based purely on photos and the designer, I think it will play as a sort of cross between ST and ACDC - similar shots to ACDC with the flow and faster returns of ST.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

Could have been AC/DC, i might have mixed them up...

Spiderman and something else are very similar as well. Again can't remember!

I don't think it's a big deal at all and it reduces costs to re-use "things".
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park
BrewNinja

Post by BrewNinja »

Star wars is similar to AC/DC, Spiderman is similar to Star Trek :)

http://gamertheory.com/2017/06/stern-pi ... ot-design/
Black Hole, F14, Dirty Harry, Walking Dead Premium, Fish Tales, Comet, Metallica, The Shadow, Whirlwind, Black Knight 2000, Deadpool
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

BrewNinja wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:03 pm Star wars is similar to AC/DC, Spiderman is similar to Star Trek :)

http://gamertheory.com/2017/06/stern-pi ... ot-design/
Yup, that stuff! :D

It's like you were part of the conversation or something....
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

That's interesting.. I saw some people eluding to Stern acknowledging the recycling of layouts. I also didn't know that Keith Elwin was involved with Stern?

Reusing elements of layouts is mostly fine with me, assuming they still differentiate the game on the playfield (not reskinning the same game and writing different code). The weird thing to me is that, at least until recently, the software was the part of the production that was lagging behind. I haven't had enough time on the most recent games to know if that's still true, but if it is, why cut the time of designing playfields and put even more pressure on software?
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
BrewNinja

Post by BrewNinja »

Yeah, Keith started working at Stern in March.

I totally agree on the software part. Its like a year or two after a machine comes out before the software gets really good. Maybe part of that is just all the play people put into the machine, they can see what strategies people develop or something. No clue what their actual process is for the software.
Black Hole, F14, Dirty Harry, Walking Dead Premium, Fish Tales, Comet, Metallica, The Shadow, Whirlwind, Black Knight 2000, Deadpool
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

DeaconBlooze wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:04 pm I haven't heard that comparison. I have seen people making comparisons to ACDC. People are always able to find similarities between layouts. it's not that I think they're wrong, it's just that building hundreds of layouts into the same rectangular box over the better part of a century is going to yield a few similarities.

I don't really think SW will play much like MET, since MET felt very bash toy focused. Based purely on photos and the designer, I think it will play as a sort of cross between ST and ACDC - similar shots to ACDC with the flow and faster returns of ST.
I think is is more like No Fear than any other Ritchie (minus the jump ramp of course) but the main pf area is No fear plut standups in place of the posts.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Ghostbusters' code was pretty darn good out of the box. They made some significant balance improvements and some new features, but it wasn't anywhere near half-finished when it shipped.
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

If anyone is thinking of getting a Pro lmk as I may try to negotiate a group buy to get a slightly better price. I already know of a handful of WI guys that are waiting on a gameplay videos to make a decision on the game. Just pm me if you may be interested.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

This guy.
Attachments
IMG_1687.JPG
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Stern's page is up for Star Wars:

http://www.sternpinball.com/games/star/pro

MSRP = Aerosmith

Feature matrix:

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/game ... Matrix.pdf

Some stuff notable to me:

"400 HD video scenes from the original films". :shock: I know they'll be a ton of little clips, but still there's gotta be a ton of shots of TIE fighters blowing up and Stormtroopers spraying blasters aimlessly!

John Williams music. Sigh of relief there!

"Characters from Episode 4/5/6". No new stuff buried in there? Works for me!

6-ball multiball

Premium gains:
* Internally RGB-lit Death Star (you can see it in the video, too)
* Exploding Death Star
* Magnetic accelerator for the big U-shaped habitrail
* LED-lit Falcon
* Steel ramps
* "Laser-cut hyperdrive diverter"
* "Laser-cut jump ramp" (that's the two slashes in the playfield in front of the Death Star... apparently the ball jumps into the Death Star when up)
* "May the Force be with you" right outlane diverter to put the ball back in the shooter lane. (You can see this in the video, looks cool!)

It looks to me like there's a diverter in/behind the Death Star to send the balls behind the backboard and through the loop to the right "U habitral" versus the left return habitrail? So we might get Getaway or Rollerball-style balls flying all over when we're in a Death Star mode?

I'm definitely interested in seeing some real gameplay video now!