Alien or Attack from Mars

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
chrisnack

Alien or Attack from Mars

Post by chrisnack »

Can't decide between those 2 machines...

Lets have it!
Current: Medieval Madness, Sinbad, Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park
Hilton

Re: Alien or Attack from Mars

Post by Hilton »

Alien has much more lasting power in a home environment and smaller collection. Granted it is a challenging game so I think that has to play into your likes.

AFM is a classic but not very deep. Once you rule the universe, get strobe, and beat the game then you have seen it all.

I would wait for things to mature a bit more with Aliens code and see if you like it. Keep in mind the one we have on route is a pre-production machine currently so has a few quirks which are not reflective of the full produciton game.

I would also wait a bit on AFMr, assuming you are thinking about the remake. They are being made by a new manufacturer and of course will have some expected issues.

Benefit being that you cna play both games on route locally for a couple of bucks get a solid session in. This means no real downside to waiting it out. If you ever want to meet up and play either game to learn the pros/cons and rulesets, I would be happy to meet up and play.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Alien, only because you have MMR. very similar feel to both. Personally I would pass (those themes do nothing for me), and see how Houdini shakes out. I was really surprised how great Houdini looked (just from pics, not seeing it in person).
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

I plan on heading over to Alt tomorrow night to play Alien.

Where is AFM?

That was my concern in AFM as it looks similar to MM in terms of layout.

I'm a huge fan of the movies so Alien has some appeal there.
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

Is AFMr not being made by the same as MMr? I thought it was PPs and Chicago again.

My MMr has been great. With color upgrade and 3D translite to boot :D
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

chrisnack wrote:Where is AFM?
AFM is at Pooley's.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

I see that.. guess i have to go play AFM tonight and Aliens tomorrow :)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

chrisnack wrote:Is AFMr not being made by the same as MMr? I thought it was PPs and Chicago again.

My MMr has been great. With color upgrade and 3D translite to boot :D

MMr was CGC/PPS contracted to Stern.

AFMr is all CGC. They have built lots of cabinents but their last game was Vacation America for reference. Could be no problem, could be stuff to work out. That is why I would take a wait and see approach on both games. No realy hurry aside from putitng down a refundable deposit I guess ot hold your spot in line.
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

Gotcha, didn't know that.

When i called GameRoomGuys, they were saying 6 week lead time, not sure how true that is :)

Highway told me if i ordered this week end of April for a standard Aliens, and LE's were June/July. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what they told me. I just know people on the forums have been pre-ordered for 1-2 years. I'm not that patient :)

I'm going to have a hole in my line-up that needs to be filled :)
Methos

Post by Methos »

I would stay away from the "game room guys". If this is the same distro I'm thinking of, have heard a little negative feedback from them.

I have decided to get one new game for 2017/2018 - and right now I'm leaning towards either Alice Cooper or Houdini. However, either game will need to win me over as both have significant challenges facing them.
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

I purchased my MMr from GameRoomGuys and they were fantastic to work with. My game arrived less than 24 hours after I paid for it.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I think no matter what you do, it's time to wait. Alien, AFMr, Houdini, Alice Cooper, Elvira... there's a lot of potentially great tables coming this year. And that's just the stuff that's announced. I'd build up the piggy bank and wait to see how the unreleased stuff shakes out.

As an aside, I don't get the "not deep" thing. If I knock down all the drops on Gold Strike, did I "win the game"? Did I "rescue the princess", if you will, and should I never play Mario again? Since when is pinball a mountain to climb once?

By that yardstick, I got Scared Stiff on Saturday night. Do I sell the table now? (Yeah yeah, spider mode...)

Pinball is repetitive. Pick a game you like to play and buy it. If you get bored just because you made all the shots, you're going to go through pinball tables like water. And if you feel you've "beat" the table because you made the wizard mode I just saw a performance on Addams Family last night that will make you reconsider mastery being determined by hitting a few shots.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

haha, yeah. For me i just need to be entertained by the game. MM does a great job of that even though i suck. Stargate was fun, but brutal sometimes.

Sinbad is just a great game, so that one will stay in my line-up forever. Plus i spent a ton on a refinished PF for it (which looks gorgeous).

I kept Stargate for a year, that's pretty good :)

Thinking maybe I grab Tim's GB and then put a deposit on Aliens... when that shows up in like 4-5 months (my guess) go from there...
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Playing with a GB until you buy an Alien (or whatever is most awesome this winter) is a heck of a plan. My prediction? You'll have $2000 in your pocket and a Ghostbusters. $2000 buys a lot of plays on the Alien on route. :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

I got to play the alian at ALT Saturday evening. One thing i noticed was being a new game already had a broke plastic. On the left above the outlane there is a thin plastic separating the saucer alley from the orbit. the tip is broke. So if you get one have a few small washers around to protect things like that.