Where does Don in Verona keep finding games?

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
Hilton

Where does Don in Verona keep finding games?

Post by Hilton »

Serious question... In the past few years the supply of games has all but dried up for most of us.

However, anyone that frequents Madison Craigslist sees that Don over in Verona seems to have a nearly constant supply of games coming through his garage.

Seriously, probably 80% of the games on our local clist are either games from Don directly or games that are once removed from Don (he sold them to a homeowner that is now ditching it a year later).

I am rarely interested in buying anything he has, but sure would like to figure out how some of us can get the scoop on some of these before he finds them for the flip. I have managaed to buy a few games form Don before he works on them (how I prefer them since I like projects), but would be nice to find some of these and not pay the mark up.

thoughts? Is he just getting lucky with his clist WTB ads? Does he have an old warehouse of them stashed away and just pulls a few out each month?
running ads in the thrifty nickel?

what gives?
20eyes

Re: Where does Don in Verona keep finding games?

Post by 20eyes »

I was under the impression that he is retired so he has all day when we are all working to troll craigslist and low ball people and drive all over to pick stuff up.
Methos

Post by Methos »

He inquired me on one of mine not too long ago, but his price was low. So he's probably using a network that he has built over the past decade or so.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Methos wrote:He inquired me on one of mine not too long ago, but his price was low. So he's probably using a network that he has built over the past decade or so.

Did he reach out from youe WIpinball ad or pinside ad?

He seems to often find games I have not seen pop up previously, which is what made me think he has an untapped arena for pins or has his own stockpile?
Methos

Post by Methos »

I think it was actually when I was inquiring on one of his. He said he only picks up games that need a lot of work.
bmaster31

Post by bmaster31 »

My brother just bought Don's Jurassic Park a few weeks ago. At that time he had just picked up a Stern Indiana Jones and one other pin I can't think of right now. He said he drove over 5 hours to go pick them up. When we tried to dig a little into where he gets his games, he just said he has several contacts that let him know when pins in rough shape are available. He didn't indicate that he had a stash of them, other than the 7 or so in his basement that he is working on.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

bmaster31 wrote:My brother just bought Don's Jurassic Park a few weeks ago. At that time he had just picked up a Stern Indiana Jones and one other pin I can't think of right now. He said he drove over 5 hours to go pick them up. When we tried to dig a little into where he gets his games, he just said he has several contacts that let him know when pins in rough shape are available. He didn't indicate that he had a stash of them, other than the 7 or so in his basement that he is working on.

I do know that he and the rock island flipper work with each other. I think the rock island guy has gotten a bad enough rap that now he has realized he can funnel games through don for less work.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

I've often wondered where people are getting their machines. I've been checking this board, Pinside, and CL mainly. but I can't think that those are the only ones that are available (of course not). But yeah, I kind of wish it wasn't like this, that we could go to a "marketplace" type setting and not have some people control the market, or do their "deed" to the machines. Kind of is upsetting now that I think about it.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

QuyN wrote:I've often wondered where people are getting their machines. I've been checking this board, Pinside, and CL mainly. but I can't think that those are the only ones that are available (of course not). But yeah, I kind of wish it wasn't like this, that we could go to a "marketplace" type setting and not have some people control the market, or do their "deed" to the machines. Kind of is upsetting now that I think about it.

There are lots of games now-a-days that never make it to market. Networking is where it is at.

I think Don must have some great old networks for sourcing games. I also think that is just the way it is.
For example, I know a guy that is getting a nice Taxi that never made it to market ;)

I have only been into pins for a few years but I would say things have gotten harder and harder over the years. It seems if you dont know someone then you need luck, patience, and to be quick on the draw.
20eyes

Post by 20eyes »

You can still find deals but you have to jump quick. I snagged a nice project Mars God Of War off this very site.

I'm starting to think I should have kept that awesome $150 EBD LE Verona Don super special model I picked up like 6 years ago. It came with sweet drywall screws holding the back box together and gold spray painted great stuff to fix the blown out corners on the back box. Clear coating the rubbers was an extra nice touch too.

As long as we are talking about where to find games I am planning on selling Flash, Gorgar, and Space Shuttle.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

20eyes wrote:You can still find deals but you have to jump quick. I snagged a nice project Mars God Of War off this very site.

I'm starting to think I should have kept that awesome $150 EBD LE Verona Don super special model I picked up like 6 years ago. It came with sweet drywall screws holding the back box together and gold spray painted great stuff to fix the blown out corners on the back box. Clear coating the rubbers was an extra nice touch too.

As long as we are talking about where to find games I am planning on selling Flash, Gorgar, and Space Shuttle.
Mike! My wife and I are still eyeing up your Gorgar! :) I hope you don't sell it off too soon!
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Hilton wrote:
QuyN wrote:I've often wondered where people are getting their machines. I've been checking this board, Pinside, and CL mainly. but I can't think that those are the only ones that are available (of course not). But yeah, I kind of wish it wasn't like this, that we could go to a "marketplace" type setting and not have some people control the market, or do their "deed" to the machines. Kind of is upsetting now that I think about it.

There are lots of games now-a-days that never make it to market. Networking is where it is at.

I think Don must have some great old networks for sourcing games. I also think that is just the way it is.
For example, I know a guy that is getting a nice Taxi that never made it to market ;)

I have only been into pins for a few years but I would say things have gotten harder and harder over the years. It seems if you dont know someone then you need luck, patience, and to be quick on the draw.
This is true. I wouldn't have ever met Chris or Garret had I not gone to the holiday tourney at Alt. I probably would have never gone to the tourney if I hadn't met you...so THANKS!!!! :D Any working projects you want to sell me? ;)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

nothing currently, lol.

I do occasionally sell, but more often then are non-working projects when i decide I need to prioritize or make room and dump them quickly.

It appears Mark/ Methos is selling off much of his collection. You should check out some of his stuff. Mark is a good guy and often willing to haggle on a game he wants to get rid of.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Hilton wrote:nothing currently, lol.

I do occasionally sell, but more often then are non-working projects when i decide I need to prioritize or make room and dump them quickly.

It appears Mark/ Methos is selling off much of his collection. You should check out some of his stuff. Mark is a good guy and often willing to haggle on a game he wants to get rid of.
I see he has a few listed here and on pinside. Nothing of real interest has come up quite yet though. Believe me, I'm a-lookin' :D
20eyes

Post by 20eyes »

QuyN wrote:
20eyes wrote:You can still find deals but you have to jump quick. I snagged a nice project Mars God Of War off this very site.

Mike! My wife and I are still eyeing up your Gorgar! :) I hope you don't sell it off too soon!
Its not going anywhere other than MGC.
I'm waiting on some stuff from great plains to fix special solenoid problems on Flash and Gorgar. Should be good to go before MGC.