Aerosmith Pinball by Stern

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
ChrisS

Aerosmith Pinball by Stern

Post by ChrisS »

I feel there is a lot less noise over here when it comes to pinball. I just wanted to start a good discussion about the machine.

Of course I'm bias since its music themed even though I'm not the largest Aerosmith fan.

I think the machine looks really good. I'm so glad the days of clip art are gone.

I know there aren't a lot of ops here but man I would think the LCD screen is a real draw to help increase people walking up to the machine to play. Stern has a video of gameplay up on their Facebook page and the animations look outstanding. Lots of color. Lots of nice looking stuff that is incredibly detailed in nature. I find the JJP machines a bit confusing as it comes to the layout of the screens. Hilton, Garrett, Sean. What is your take on the draw of the LCD screen.

The lock shot is a little bit gimmicky. I'll have to do some more reading to do to understand the differences between the pro and premium.

I would def look to own one of these done the line. Maybe pick one up when people bail because the code isn't finished as fast as they would like.

Not sure what I'll do for space. Once Zombie is in I'm out of space......again. :lol:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... ics-are-up
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
Hilton

Re: Aerosmith Pinball by Stern

Post by Hilton »

I like the art style, layout, fun multiball dump mech (like Stern IJ). I find the full color animations to be a little cheesy but not in a bad way.

In general, I like the bigger color displays and non-pinheads on route seem to really gravitate towards them (Hobbit and FullT) so guessing that casuals may like this also.

I dont think the theme is very good for route and honestly the price point is a big pill to swallow for anyone thinking about putting one on route.
I hope to play one at some point. I personally think for how expensive Stern pros are getting that Aliens is the much better purchase. Or even stepping up to a WoZ or Dialed In!

That said, I am kind of burned out on music themes (unless Phish comes around :) )
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

This game should fit in your System 11 collection perfectly, since the ruleset will initially have System 11 depth... :twisted:

That being said, this game confuses me.... it is gorgeous, but it is Aerosmith.... Is Aerosmith relevant at all? Their last couple of tours, they couldnt even give tickets away.

Just really confused how they settled upon Aerosmith.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Hilton wrote: I dont think the theme is very good for route and honestly the price point is a big pill to swallow for anyone thinking about putting one on route.

That said, I am kind of burned out on music themes (unless Phish comes around :) )
Yeah I don't know how any Op does it. Even the pro price seems hard to take when it comes to running them out on location.

Phish huh. The music would be easy to do. Isn't it all just one long song? :twisted:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

ralphwiggum wrote:This game should fit in your System 11 collection perfectly, since the ruleset will initially have System 11 depth... :twisted:

That being said, this game confuses me.... it is gorgeous, but it is Aerosmith.... Is Aerosmith relevant at all? Their last couple of tours, they couldnt even give tickets away.

Just really confused how they settled upon Aerosmith.
I assume it's tied in with it being their last tour OR so they say. I know they have a few tunes that would be fun to play to but I'm just not that into it.

I just hope they really knock it out of the park with Iron Maiden. Its a little disappointing that after the amount of detail into the buildings, Stay Puff & Slimer on GB it seems sparse on Aerosmith.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

ralphwiggum wrote:This game should fit in your System 11 collection perfectly, since the ruleset will initially have System 11 depth... :twisted: .

I wish someone would sell me a Gameshow, SoF & Transporter for the price of one of the Aerosmith Pros. :lol:
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

The song list is a ton better than I expected. A little too much Permanent Vacation, but at least we don't have to listen to that damn meteor song.

The layout is interesting. Dropping the ball atop the upper playfield is a neat trick, and the box full 'o balls should be fun.

I'd like to see the Premium upper playfield in action, cause it doesn't look very interesting from stills. It's just the standups and what looks like an elevator?

The jester looks a bit too "Sparky" for me.

I'm curious what the video will look like. Playing music videos during modes would be cool.

I don't think it's one I'll buy, but it looks pretty cool to me. I don't really care if Aerosmith is a washed out band. Personally, I'd put Metallica in that same bucket, but I enjoy playing that, too.
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

So here's my 2 cents on this one.

The larger LCD screen definitely pulls people up to the machine, and I'm really impressed with what they've done so far with the animation. I actually thought BM66 looked awesome - but the price point on that particular one is crazy. As far as location games go, I see three things that get people engaged. Theme, "flash" (LCD screen definitely does this), and finally the ever important FUN factor. Simply having a screen will draw people in and maybe get them to play it one time, but won't keep them coming back. Look at what JJP has done with WOZ and Hobbit. Very popular themes, beautiful art and animation packages, and great fun to play.

Aerosmith looks like a mashup of KISS and IJ4 to me. That's not a bad thing as it could be a winning combination, especially if they actually code it well. Time will tell.

They should have just made a U2 machine. Fools. First company to do that wins! :D :D Take my money!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

The difference between the pro and the premium is basically "no upper playfield" really. Borg designs pros and then figures out what to add on to make it into a premium -- with his games, the pro is almost always the better player because that's what he builds first.

There was video that showed the upper playfield in action on Stern's FB page, it looks pretty terrible. Very tight, full size flipper. You can auto-trap by holding the flipper up when the ball feeds up there. It just looked bad in general.

I wonder how problematic the gimmicky 'launch from the saucer into the box' lock thing will be. It's a fun effect that non-pin people will love, but if that coil gets weak then it'll just break stuff.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
pinball4ever

Post by pinball4ever »

u2sean wrote:They should have just made a U2 machine. Fools. First company to do that wins! :D :D Take my money!
I think Aerosmith looks phenomenal. Every inch of the playfield is covered in glorious Dirty Donnie art. Wow. :shock:

I love almost all music/classic rock. Well, almost all music before about 1999. :lol: That being said, Aerosmith is very far down on my list. I don't hate the band, I love their early stuff, but can't stand "Love in an elevator" and "Dude looks like a lady" - awful. Yet, I can forgive those 2 songs and hopefully enjoy owning the game at some point. I just can't stop staring at it.

As Sean said, they should have just made a U2 machine.

Or, a Pink Floyd machine.
Or, a Led Zeppelin machine.
Or, a Ramones machine.
Or, a Journey machine.
Or, a Rush machine.
Or, a Steely Dan machine.
Or, a Who machine.
Or, an Iron Maiden machine.
Or, a Judas Priest machine.
Or, a Bruce Springsteen machine.
Or, a Doobie Brothers machine.
Or, a Police machine.
Or, a Beatles machine.
Or, a Black Sabbath machine.
Or, a Cheap Trick machine.
Or, a Daft Punk machine.
Or, a Deep Purple machine.
Or, a Flaming Lips machine.
Or, a Fleetwood Mac machine.

I could go on and on. I'm happy with the music pins I own but if they did happen to make all of the ones I really want, I'd be living in a van down by the river because I would have to somehow own them all. :twisted:

Todd
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Ha. Fleetwood Mac.
Methos

Post by Methos »

ChrisS wrote:Ha. Fleetwood Mac.
I was personally hoping for a "Crazy World of Arthur Brown" pin, but I don't think the chances are good at this point.
gjbwalker

Post by gjbwalker »

I wanted a Cat Stevens Pin :D
pinball4ever

Post by pinball4ever »

gjbwalker wrote:I wanted a Cat Stevens Pin :D
Don't you mean Yusuf Islam? That's his name now. :?
ChrisS wrote:Ha. Fleetwood Mac.
I knew someone would have to comment on that one. Take Christine Mcvie out and the Mac rules. I do admit they don't make the best pinball choice though. Any of the other ones and I'm in. 8-)

Todd
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

pinball4ever wrote:Don't you mean Yusuf Islam? That's his name now. :?

I think he goes by Cat Stevens when he wants to tour in America so that he can get through airport security.... :lol:
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune