New to the forum and newish to pinball

Pinball Discussion, Location Games, Etc.
QuyN

New to the forum and newish to pinball

Post by QuyN »

Hey guys/gals,

I just wanted to introduce to myself and hopefully get into the hobby and own my own machine someday. As my username says, my name is Quy (kwee) and I live in Madison. I recently got into pinball (never really playing as a kid growing up in the 90s) when Geeks Mania in Madison opened up last February and had their grand opening in June/July. Since then, I've been playing and learning (and thinking about) pinball and it's become something that I find really enjoyable. I've played a few tables in the last several months and have found that I'm really enjoying The Twilight Zone, and would love to own one one day. I feel like I could play that table a thousand times and never get sick of it. I've played some classics such as Pinbot, Bride of Pinbot, High Speed, Big Guns and really learned to appreciate the SS machines. I'm not a huge fan of the EM machines but can definitely appreciate them. I'm always looking for machines to play, and maybe build a network of people in the state. I frequent the Wausau and Appleton areas (in-laws, and immediate family visits, respectively) but haven't had much luck finding any public places in those areas. I'm glad to find that Madison has a relatively robust pinball scene with a variety of machines to choose from.

I know Madison Pinball holds monthly tournaments that are open but I'm still not that good. Anyways, I hope to become a more active member, and try to convince the wife that we need a machine in our basement :)
u2sean

Re: New to the forum and newish to pinball

Post by u2sean »

Welcome, Quy! Always fun meeting new locals who enjoy playing pinball I'm also from Madison an there's a pretty good selection of places to play here, but you're right about Appleton and Wausau not having much for public places to play (oddly enough, I have immediate family in both cities too!). There's a fantastic group of people on here from Madison, Milwaukee, Fox Cities and a slew of smaller cities.

I usually run the Madison Pinball monthly tournament out at Schwoegler's and play at the others when I'm free, so I have to say I'm a bit biased for our three locations. :D Geeks definitely has some cool tables, and TZ is a fantastic game - you've got good taste! There are a number of folks who live on the west side of Madison, and if you ever wanted to meet out somewhere to play a few games I'm sure you could find a few locals that'd be happy to meet up if they're available. Actually, just stop out at one of the monthly Madison Pinball tournaments and introduce yourself - you don't even have to play. You can just hang back and see how things go and chat. We're a pretty chill crew.

Hope to meet you out and about sometime soon!

- Sean
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Hey Quy,

Hilton here. I am a pretty active guy in the madison pinball scene and always happy to meet up and play some pinball (esp now that fall is upon us and I have more pinball time).

I help maintain the games at Altbrew (8 games now) and Pooleys (4 great games there) on the eastside of town.

hit me up if you want to meet up and play. We have Addams family over at Pooleys currently which is by the same designer as Twilight Zone so a decent chance you will liek it also. I like to learn ruleset and enjoy teaching them also, so happy to lend a hand if we meet up and play. I am always looking to meet new pinheads also.

Not sure what side of town you are on or availability, but I am open for a few games on the eastside most days after 4pm.

Feel free to send me a message and we can exchange numbers to meet up sometime.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

also, as for not being a good player...

you may be surprised. If you play pinball on a regular basis you surely have more skill than many.

There are some guys that started coming out to play in just the past year and were novice but in one years time they are already qualifying for the MadCity Championship and WI state championship.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome Quy, I live in the Wausau area. There are a couple pins on location at the local bowling joints. Hit me up when you are in the area.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Thanks for the welcome guys! I live on the east side, and since Geeks Mania went to the cover charge, I've been hitting up The Pizza Oven and Rossi's to play Tales from the Crypt and Metallica, mainly, and whatever else they happen to have. Pizza Oven just put in a Pinbot, but they have High Speed and Black Night or BK2000 I think.

Sean - I've been to Schwoeglers once in my recent stint, but i'll be heading there more often since I can't go to Geeks Mania for 30-40 mins anymore. I played Spiderman, Hobbit, and Iron Man, I think when I was there. I'll have to hit up one of the tourneys, I saw Alt Brew had their monthly yesterday on Facebook. Haven't been out to Pooleys yet, but have played Addams Family at Geeks Mania, great pin.

Hilton - I'll definitely take you up on your offer!

Jeremy - When I'm in Wausau I'm usually visiting in-laws, but I'll try to get a hold of you if I can get away. It's usually just an overnighter on Saturday into Sunday so I'm not sure how much time we'll have.
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Welcome to the community! We are lucky in Madison to have so many great location games. If you are going be on the Westside, please feel free to contact me and Brodde (my son) and I will try to meet up with you at Schwoeglers for some pinball!

Garrett Peterson
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

BigDaddyBanjo wrote:Welcome to the community! We are lucky in Madison to have so many great location games. If you are going be on the Westside, please feel free to contact me and Brodde (my son) and I will try to meet up with you at Schwoeglers for some pinball!

Garrett Peterson
Hey Garrett! Thanks! I work on the West side, and I think I'll be dropping at Schwoeglers a lot more during the week during my lunch breaks. Not sure what your schedule is like, but my work week is Tues-Sat, and i take lunch between noon- noon 30. I've only got 30-40 minutes though :( If you see an Asian guy at the pins, come introduce yourself!
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Will do. There are a quite a few folks that stop by over the lunch hour to play a game or two, I am sure you will meet a lot of the local gang doing that. Schwoeglers also has some pretty good lunch specials so it is a good place to spend your break. Hope to meet you soon!

Garrett
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Was just there today. Dropped a buck on Hobbit and got nowhere lol. Dropped a couple bucks on Game of Thrones, and still learning the rule set but really enjoying it so far! That left orbit and left lane is hard! Is there must be a target back there because the bounce back is wicked.