Tech: Voltage in coils

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Methos

Tech: Voltage in coils

Post by Methos »

Running into an unusual problem. Figure I would "phone a friend" and see if any of the awesome pinball techs in WI have come across this.

The game is Addams Family - we tore everything off on the PF and clean, tumbled, replaced, etc. Just finishing it up, but as I was attemping to adjust switches under the pf with the game off, I keep getting shocked. So measure the coils, and sure enough after the game is off, power retains in the coils and slowly dissapates...I mean slowly.

Here is some background:

During reconstruction, lost one switch column. I think I shorted something underneath while working on it earlier. Traced it back to the board, and subed out the board with another. That board is being sent in. Replaced the board, all is working.

I checked the plug as it is a replacement - and the ground is attached.

Kingpin suggested I check the braid, so I checked the ground braid all around, everything buzzes out. Although, the only think ground on pf that I can see is the latches attached the game. Not sure where to go from here. Does the pf itself get the ground from the boards or backbox ground? Is that where my problem could be?

Thanks all.
ralphwiggum

Re: Tech: Voltage in coils

Post by ralphwiggum »

How are the caps and traces on the power driver board? Was there work done on that board previously? It could be grounds, but it sounds like the driverboard isn't draining that voltage properly. Drop in a known driverboard and see if it exhibits the same behavior. That will help you isolate the problem to the playfield/wiring, and the driverboard.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Methos

Post by Methos »

Thanks Tim. I'll swap that board and see if the problem continues.
Methos

Post by Methos »

Switched the PD board and no more voltage after the game is shut off. The board had been worked on - looks like the bridge rectifers were changed and there are two jumpers on the caps. I have to send some other boards so I'll include this as well. Thanks for the help Tim.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Good to hear.... Stinks you gotta pay to have more board work done, but at least you wont have to spend hours chasing down wiring under the playfield.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

glad to hear you got it figured out.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Methos

Post by Methos »

Well - still some more switch issues to work out. Going around in circles. One of those days where I've had it up to the max. :)
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Methos wrote:Well - still some more switch issues to work out. Going around in circles. One of those days where I've had it up to the max. :)

take a break and go play one of the other great games you have :)

See you guys tonight at Mikes! going to be a blast!