WCS94 blowing main fuse

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Boyo25guy

WCS94 blowing main fuse

Post by Boyo25guy »

I've got this over at Pinside, as well, but I figure it can't hurt to ask here, too. I'm having an issue with fuses blowing in my World Cup Soccer. At first, when I tried starting a game, F112 would blow. I disconnected J106 and J107 (output to the flashers and coils), put the playfield up, left the coin door door open, and turned the game on. The game booted up with no issues. When I closed the coin door, I blew the main fuse. After further tests, activating the top coin door switch blows the main fuse.

I tested BR3, and it tests fine. Now, if I disconnect the Fliptronic II board entirely, and disconnect J102, the game boots and starts (with no coils, working, of course). If I plug in J102, the game blows the main fuse instantly. Any ideas? It seems as though BR1 is a common culprit here, but I'm not sure how BR1 could be an issue when the Fliptronic II board isn't even connected to anything. Thanks!
KingPin Games

Re: WCS94 blowing main fuse

Post by KingPin Games »

When you say "main fuse," are you talking about the one by the service outlet or a different one?
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Boyo25guy

Post by Boyo25guy »

The one by the service outlet.
Boyo25guy

Post by Boyo25guy »

Now, if I disconnect the Fliptronic II board entirely, and disconnect J102, the game boots and starts (with no coils, working, of course). If I plug in J102, the game blows the main fuse instantly.
Just a little clarification on this: if J102 is plugged in, the game blows the main fuse as soon as the coin door is closed. If the coin door is open, the game boots fine.
Boyo25guy

Post by Boyo25guy »

Figured this out. There was some old flux on the power driver board that was causing continuity between some of the pads. Cleaning up the flux took away the continuity, and the game works again.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Wow, Flux usually isn't conductive (as far as I know). Congrats on the fix 8-)
Boyo25guy

Post by Boyo25guy »

Yeah, I looked it up afterward, and apparently a lot of flux formulations have some (low) conductivity. I always assumed flux didn't conduct, as well.
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

Best to clean up flux anyway, it will corrode copper over time and cause other problems.
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.