SF2 left flipper = jackpots

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
Hilton

Re: SF2 left flipper = jackpots

Post by Hilton »

Chris K wrote:Soylent Solder out of Chun Li.

sounds dirty. I like it! Good luck Ken Masters
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Shoryuken!!
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Sooooo...... its.... fixed? <looks for lightning bolts> :D

I pulled the opto out, cleaned out all the Soylent from the pads, and put fresh solder down. I played a few games and got no spurious jackpots!

Of course I thought I had this fixed a few times before, so I wouldn't put money on it, but it's looking good so far!

Unfortunately, the car smash reset has finally taken a dump. But I haven't even peeked at THAT opto yet. It could even just be dirty. It's the one area I didn't shop when I got it.

My lesson learned here: Just because a switch test says your switch working, don't assume it's true. When researching this I saw people warn that Gottlieb Sys3 optos are problematic, but I discounted it cause it looked OK in the test.

Thanks a ton for your help, guys! I know this ain't exactly Monster Bash, but I have an irrational love for SF2, and it plays great now!
Attachments
sf2-opto.jpg
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Congrats! It can be hard to do when it comes to pinball, but you have to try and always keep it as simple as possible. I have overtroubleshot problems too many times to count, and have really worked to keep it simple and not overdiagnose.

For the record, Chun-li is still the worst character to use in Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo.......
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

This one has taught me to simply DO the obvious stuff whether I think it needs it or not. I have a hard time with "that's weird" as a root cause for problems, but I've asked for help with a few problems in pinball, and sometimes the answer has been "yeah, that shouldn't have been the fix, but oh well!" after I disqualified a solution that didn't seem logical to me.

I have an irrational hatred of Chun Li since I was a kid, when most of the people who could beat me in SF2 player her... I spent a lot of time listening to that damn victory giggle she makes, raging. I actually walked away from the Street Fighter scene when I played my first game of Championship and some a-hole made her throw a fireball at me. CHUN-LI DON'T NEED NO DAMN FIREBALL!! So, having her mode be the one screwing with me on this pin is especially irritating. :D
QuyN

Post by QuyN »

Good to see that it's working (so far). I was wanting to play it last time we were there but was unsure of the random jackpot thing. Hope I can knock a few balls around next time :)
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Nice fresh scoreboard, too!

"USE THE FLIPPA!"

Edit: Oh, I should also say that (apart from the car reset being busted at the moment) the table has been rock solid since resoldering the opto. I've played considerably more SF2 than GB the past week. :)