Lighting Question

Tech Help, Restorations, Refurbishments, "Shop Out" Photos, Notes
CftBL

Lighting Question

Post by CftBL »

I recently picked up a 1980 Eight Ball Deluxe. It has a smattering of LED's on top of the play field but the majority of the lights are still incandescents. I started using using 1-SMD's that I have on hand (from PBL and Comet) to replace the lights that made sense. So why is it I can replace any of the GI lights or any of the backbox lights with no issues, but as soon as I replace one of the under playfield lights (on the balls in this case) the lights flash like a disco ball whenever they are activated. I had replaced the 1- 8 balls under the playfield with different colored white SMD's (to see what i liked) but because they all flashed whenever activated, i pulled them back out. So what gives? Why is the GI lighting circuit special so that it can handle SMD's (or LED's) but the other lighting circuits cannot? Thanks!
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
cad-kid

Re: Lighting Question

Post by cad-kid »

Nice article/post. I had no idea about this issue :shock:
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Thanks!
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

I know my brother went with method #2 on his F2K - soldering resistors to about 100 sockets. Total PITA, but cheap and worked great! :lol:
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

I was seriously considering that method after reading through, but the PITA factor made me pucker. The Alltek solution seems incredibly easy and may take care of some lighting issues, but I'm already in for one new board. Not sure I want to spring for a second one so soon. It may just have to stay incandescent for a little while
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I am curious what you end up doing. I have a growing colelciton of Bally games and would love to LED some of them (esp cause I wuold like to put one on route at some point).
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I have done the resistor method on a few games before other solutions were available. While time consuming, if you have a decent iron, it doesnt take all that long.

If I were doing another game now, I would most likely go with an off-shelf solution because my free time isnt what it used to be.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I use the Siegecraft boards in my Bally games and they work really well and are cheaper than springing for the Alltek. they run $45 for the set but he will run sales from time to time.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.p ... &id_lang=1
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.