July 22nd Ballers Event

DeaconBlooze

Re: July 22nd Ballers Event

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Big thanks to Chris and Chateen for opening their house. A great collection and great times! Really good to see everyone after my hiatus.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

IMG_20170723_171818.jpg
IMG_20170723_171103.jpg
IMG_20170723_170655.jpg
You guys are the best. Thanks to everybody for making it a great night!
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks C&C. It was a really nice night. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for letting me come to your house and letting me put a high score up on one of your machines :lol:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Results

Side Game
Captain Fantastic- Jimmy L. ($20)

Main Event
1. Neo S.- 22 ($70)
2. Sean S.- 22 ($40)
3. Tim E.- 20 ($30)
6. Jimmy L.- 20
6. Brodde P.- 20
6. Tim N.- 20
9. Garrett P.- 18
9. Chris K.- 18
9. Jon Z.- 18
11. Tully- 14
11. Dave B.- 14
12. Chris S.- 12
15. Stephanie- 10
15. Mark S.- 10
15. Chateen K.- 10
16. Dave M.- 8
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Glad you could make it, Chris! I thought something was on fire when you yelled down the hall. I should have known. :)
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Had a great time last night. Thanks for opening your doors up to a bunch of DIKs. :oops: you have amassed a great collection in a relatively short amount of time. Kudos.....

The VR stuff is awesome, thanks for letting me try it out. I definitely have some VR decisions to make in the near future.
Current Collection
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Thanks, most of it is from you guys here. :)

I wish I had more VR stuff to demo... I just got the new headset a few days ago, and all the old stuff I used to show people on the old DK2 doesn't work on the new one. (Older API.) There's so much more out there, I'm just scratching the surface. I don't even have the wheel hooked up yet!
ChateenK

Post by ChateenK »

Thanks everyone for coming over. I had a ton of fun and would love to host again. I'm going to enjoy my new diet of pizza leftovers and chips and Twinkies for the next week.
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

Oooh, which VR setup do you have Chris?

I tried out the Vive at a meetup at Scott Danesi's and liked it a lot - but don't have a PC beefy enough to drive it, so I went the cheap route and picked up PSVR since I had the PS4 already. The tracking isn't as solid, but for 1/5 the cash outlay I'm ok with it.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I believe he gas the latest Oculus (sp?).... Facebook just dropped the price of that one down to $400, which is why I am super tempted.
Current Collection
epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

ralphwiggum wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm I believe he gas the latest Oculus (sp?).... Facebook just dropped the price of that one down to $400, which is why I am super tempted.
Ah nice. The Oculus is still optically tracked - so if you go that route, be sure to get the 3rd 'sensor' for behind you to do real room scale. A guy I know has both the vive and the oculus with the new controllers - he says he likes the Oculus' new touch controllers more than the Vive controllers, and with the third sensor, the tracking isn't bad.

My hangup on going full PC based VR was having to get a modern PC to dive the thing.
Current pile of ridiculously expensive "beep-boop-bing" boxes: Cactus Canyon, Theatre of Magic, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Metallica (Pro), Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scared Stiff, Iron Maiden, Rick & Morty
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

I had the Oculus DK2 for a long time, but just got the "retail" Oculus, with motion controllers.

You're right about the third motion tracker... if you turn your back to them you can lose tracking on the hands pretty quickly. I'll be experimenting with two-sensor setup placement to help, but a third sensor will be coming as soon as I can find one in stock somewhere.

The computer is an issue for sure, and the bit miners aren't making it any easier. I have a last-gen i7, quad core 3.2GHz, an Nvidia 970, and 16GB RAM and an SSD. It's.... enough. I wouldn't go any slower. The 1070 is the sweet spot IMHO, but the prices have gone bonkers. With the 970 I can max out some games, but not the "AAA" style games. To be honest, lowered detail in VR isn't so bad. You're often so busy focusing on motion that you don't have much time to stare at textures and poly counts.

The Oculus motion controllers are fantastic. The grip mechanism feels fantastic, although everyone who came over on Saturday had some problems wrapping their heads around it at first. The motion tracking is incredibly good. It's accurate enough that I could realistically chop a thrown apple in half with a sword. I can't wait for baseball games!

The most irritating thing so far? Stern has an Oculus VR Pinball Arcade, but they aren't selling it! It's GearVR (Samsung phone) only right now. WTF?

Price tag is something like this:
CPU: $300+
Video: $300-500
Oculus+Touch: $400
(other stuff you already have from an older PC)

I considered the PS VR too, but I don't have a PS4, and there's so much indie stuff on the PC that I figured I wouldn't be exposed to on the PS VR.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

ralphwiggum wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:21 pm Results

Side Game
Captain Fantastic- Jimmy L. ($20)

Main Event
1. Neo S.- 22 ($70)
2. Sean S.- 22 ($40)
3. Tim E.- 20 ($30)
7. Jimmy L.- 20
7. Brodde P.- 20
7. Tim N.- 20
10. Garrett P.- 18
10. Chris K.- 18
10. Jon Z.- 18
12. Tully- 14
12. Dave B.- 14
15. Stephanie- 10
15. Mark S.- 10
15. Chateen K.- 10
16. Dave M.- 8
Listen. I know I played like shit the other night but I must have at least scored 1 point. :roll:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
Ken

Post by Ken »

:lol:
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Yeah, but you lose a point for every DIK. ;)