Madison 2016 City Championships

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Madison 2016 City Championships

Post by Hilton »

I have been vetting this idea for a few years and 2016 is finally the year to implement it. A city based championship event. This has been posted at the bottom of the monthly tournament page on the MP site, so some of you may have been wondering what it is all about. :)

For 2016 I plan to host a year end tournament which is based on WI IFPA/conglomerate points of events played in the city of Madison for the 2016 season. This basically means all monthly events hosted by Madison Pinball, launch parties in Madison, and any other Madison based events.

I was able to dial up a custom IFPA page which should keep track of this for me, so check it out here.
http://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/cus ... 5#rankings

After the Dec monthlies are done we will know how it all shakes out with qualifiers. Details will fill in throughout the year.

Planning for the event to be on Sat Dec 31st (a convenient NYE party/competition if you will ;) will start earlier in the day so you will still have time for other NYE plans) and planning to host at my private collection if all things go as planned (it is still early in the year but it is good to have goals). Planning on the top 24 in the above rankings, but that may change/extend. In short, play in madison based events and mark your calendar now if you plan to shoot for the title of Madison Champion!

edit/addition: After some feedback, I have opted to open the registration. No restriction to be able to play/compete.

Please email me if you would like to compete on the 31st. Event will start at noon (arrive at 11am) and hope to be done around 6pm (when the party starts). Space is very limited and when full we are full.
Last edited by Hilton on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingPin Games

Re: Madison 2016 City Championships

Post by KingPin Games »

Sounds like fun. This is location based events only, not league correct?
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

KingPin Games wrote:Sounds like fun. This is location based events only, not league correct?

Thanks. Just looking for a fun event and the needed motivation to get my personal colelciton back in order :) I like being able to host events and share the personal collection so figured this was a good way to do it.

This is supposed to be for ANY Madison based event. I think when Josh set up the filters it was supposed to include MCF but it does not appear to currently do that.

What do you guys think? I could go either way. Some MCF league nights are in madison, but others are technically in other cities even though we are a Madison based league. Could go either way.
Methos

Post by Methos »

If it is a IFPA event, don't you have to open it up for general registration? I'm not 100% up on all the rules so I don't have this correct.

I vote to include the Mad City League as an official "Madison" event.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Methos wrote:If it is a IFPA event, don't you have to open it up for general registration? I'm not 100% up on all the rules so I don't have this correct.

I vote to include the Mad City League as an official "Madison" event.

This is an IFPA sanctioned event. It is open for all to participate as anyone can come play in and win points in Madison events throughout the year in order to qualify.

Similar to how the SCS tournament uses events held in the state of WI to seed players, the Madison City Championship tournament uses events held in the city of Madison to seed players. I have been talking with IFPA/Josh for a few years about doing this and I think the sport has finally grown enough in the immediate area to make it happen (actually enough competitive players and Madison based events to make this a reality). Josh requested\required that I have the event on the website at the start of the year so it was available for people to know they were earning points towards seeding for the end of year event. Aside from that I have just been waiting for the special filtering to get done and tested before making a thread on it.

We had to make a few tweaks as I did not want the SCS and BOATR event included in this years Madison City Championship standings (those events were really based on last year already and I did not want it to be a legacy thing).
Methos

Post by Methos »

I understand now, just had seen the "must be open to the public" mantra for the past few years. It's a great idea, more pinball is always a good thing. Is there going to be a standings list that we can monitor throughout the year to track progress?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Methos wrote:I understand now, just had seen the "must be open to the public" mantra for the past few years. It's a great idea, more pinball is always a good thing. Is there going to be a standings list that we can monitor throughout the year to track progress?
yup

http://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/cus ... php?id=175

That is a custom filter Josh had set up for me. It does not currently include the MCF reported event, but that could be adjusted I think (if that is decided as the way to go; completely open to suggestions).

If anyone ever notices a Madison based event that does not show up in that, please let me know and I can get it added
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

I'd vote for keeping MCF separate as it is right now. Great fun idea!
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote:
Methos wrote:I understand now, just had seen the "must be open to the public" mantra for the past few years. It's a great idea, more pinball is always a good thing. Is there going to be a standings list that we can monitor throughout the year to track progress?
yup

http://www.ifpapinball.com/rankings/cus ... php?id=175

That is a custom filter Josh had set up for me. It does not currently include the MCF reported event, but that could be adjusted I think (if that is decided as the way to go; completely open to suggestions).

If anyone ever notices a Madison based event that does not show up in that, please let me know and I can get it added
So Best of the rest doesn't count as a Madison Pinball event?
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

nope, sorry Tom.

I looked at SCS tourney and BoAtR from this year as being seeded events based on 2015. My thought was to have this be based on events that are seeded and occured completely in the 2016 year. I dont like the legacy nature of events > i.e. I dont like that SCS is worth any points for the current year since it is seeded from the previous year.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

Hilton wrote:nope, sorry Tom.

I looked at SCS tourney and BoAtR from this year as being seeded events based on 2015. My thought was to have this be based on events that are seeded and occured completely in the 2016 year. I dont like the legacy nature of events > i.e. I dont like that SCS is worth any points for the current year since it is seeded from the previous year.

lol Well you were the one that seeded it and ran the BoATR event. I think your just scared of us Fox Cities Guys. :D
Last edited by TomGWI on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

As an outsider, I would think there would be a distinct disadvantage if you included MCF in the standings. You have a cap on that league and a selection process, so it isn't technically open for anyone to attend like your other events are. Either way, sounds like a good event to grab a bit more coin drop throughout the city.... Definitely a win-win.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I would also get rid of any championships that were based in a persons house. I think in general, those are bad all around. Anyone that says there isnt a homefield advantage isnt being honest with themselves..... Sure there are other concerns as a host, but the overall comfort level with your own collection, and muscle memory, it is a disservice to any tournament to be hosted at a residence.

I know it is tough to have a public location do something like this, but you could take an event like MRP and move the time back (not saying MRP specifically, just MRP as an example) so that it would be a split event- The City championships and whatever other event would be hosted. That would get you a variety of games and even things out quite a bit.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TomGWI wrote:

lol Well you were the one that seeded it and ran the BoATR event. No matter.

My intention for this was to be a clean year long event. Qualifying during 2016 by playing in events from 2016. PLayoffs in 2016 at the end of the year.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:As an outsider, I would think there would be a distinct disadvantage if you included MCF in the standings.
good call and good reason to not include MCF standings.