Madison Pinball Spring Classic 2016

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Madison Pinball Spring Classic 2016

Post by Hilton »

You guys know the deal by now. Spring Classic runs all month long in March.
We already have 10? people signed up and registration is open now. All details are on www.madisonpinball.com under the spring classic tab.

I am trying to make some improvements for this year and make things a bit more interactive/fun.

Step 1: I have acquired the ability to use the 'Never Drains' tournament software in beta version. This software will allow us to upload scores and everyone to see scores throughout the month so you know where you stand and who you are gunning for.

Step 2: I am planning to create a facebook group for trash talking and picture uploading. This idea comes from Josh Sharpe and the level 257 super selfie thing he has started. The basic idea is that all players can dump photos on the facebook group and then I will upload scores throughout the month to the Never Drains software. In order for the fun of the interaction to work it will of course mean people need to not hoard scores and rather post them up for the fun of the social interaction as the month progresses. I will also accept photos via email for those that dont have ability to upload but hoping most people will get to the point where they auto upload and then I only need to worry about score entry.

Step 3: I am trying to source an old PC with web browser and then coordinate with Alt Brew to allow us to mount a TV. I plan to have scores streaming to the TV throughout the month. It would be great to get this at all locations but for now I am trying to work on the logisitcally easiest to work with. I am not sure this will happen for March, but I am trying... No matter what, everyone that plays will be able to monitor socres live at they are entered in the sysytem. https://www.neverdrains.com/hilton
is the webaddress for my beta standings page. There is nobody with a score so nothing shows up currently, but once socres start posting then you will see them pop up. Eventually this page will show total placement and also stream the socres for all games.

Step 4: I would like to get 1 or 2 active local players that are willing to HELP out. I have the ability to designate a few other people to do score entry and make them admins in my 'neverdrains' tournament account. It would be great if a few people are willing to step up and lend a hand. All photos will end up published on the FB group so it will all be out in the open and all scorekeepers can double check entires to make sure no mistakes were made.
Hilton

Re: Madison Pinball Spring Classic 2016

Post by Hilton »

Please let me know your thoughts on the new improvements I am trying to bring in.

I am thinking they will make these quarterly events a bit more fun and interactive. Pinball is all about the people and if there are ways to get us having more fun with each other then it would be a great thing!
mkecasey

Post by mkecasey »

I love the idea of using the Never Drains software. This will definitely keep the competition going all month for the local players and think it is win-win for the locations, the operators, and the players. I unfortunately will probably only make it out one day this month so I'll just have to work with what I can do in a day. But it will be nice to have a goal to shoot for on each game based on how others are doing.

Picture wise, are you keeping it the same as you always have? By that I mean only including a photo of the score. Or are you planning to do what Josh is doing and make us put our ugly mug's in the photo as well. 8-)

Also, have you considered opening up the Friday night playoffs to everybody, similar to the Level 257 league? Not sure if that would be a logistical nightmare or not. But it could be fun.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

for photos I think we can continue as we have been (ugly mugs are of course optional, but not required).

We could expand the playoffs to have sub groups below the top 8 but they cant move up (similar to our regular monthlies where if you finish 9th you are int he 9-12 playoff grouping) My hesitation with that is the quarterly events provide a nice opportuntity for the more casual player to be involved but not be forced to come to a specific playoff. Even in the top groupings the way I have it set up is so at most you lose 2 spots if you did not show.
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

I like the idea of being able to see scores during the event. It does take away some of the mystery of whether your scores are good or not, but that wasn't really there in the first place since high scores are displayed on the machines. I think it will generate more plays since you will be able to see where you stand in relatively real time and know whether you need to up your scores. Looks like I will have to figure out how this Facebook thing that the college kids are using works.

Also, I would be happy to help out with score keeping.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

awesome and thanks Noah!

Would be great to have at least 1 more person (Bryon> I am looking in your direction ;) )

I still need to figure out this FB thing also... I have it but dont utilize it well.
mkecasey

Post by mkecasey »

Hilton wrote:awesome and thanks Noah!

Would be great to have at least 1 more person (Bryon> I am looking in your direction ;) )

I still need to figure out this FB thing also... I have it but dont utilize it well.
I can help you get the FB thing going. Just send me a message and we can discuss.
Allmyfriends77

Post by Allmyfriends77 »

Hilton

Sign me up
CftBL

Post by CftBL »

Instead of using an old pc you could probably use a raspberry pi. Would be cheap and small enough to mount to the back of most any sized display.
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Twilight Zone, Star Wars Premium, Hobbit
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

CftBL wrote:Instead of using an old pc you could probably use a raspberry pi. Would be cheap and small enough to mount to the back of most any sized display.

awesome! Mike, lets talk soon.
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

This sounds great. I like that you will know where you stand compared to others.
This should be a lot of fun.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Some updates...

Looks like the TV at Alt likely wont happen for the March event but we will still be using the new software so everybody can see where they stand throughout the event. I just dont have the available funds right now to buy the TV and equipment to run it.

It will still be nice to use the new never drain software.

The big catch here is that people will need to submit their scores as they go throughout the event. I am thinking of putting in a rule that scores must be posted to the FB page I will be setting up within 48 hours of the score being put up. The general idea is that the FB page provides transparancy and makes it more fun.

I am planning to get things all set up later this week and emails will go out to thise already registered.

For games. We will be using:
Pooleys > NEW GAME (coming in a week or 2), MET, TWD, and SST
Alt > DM, JM, AMH, Jbot
Schwoegs > KISS, IM, GoT, and BK2K (still finalizing Schwoegs games so some may change).

Playoff will happen on Monday April 1st. Location TBD for playoff currently.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

also >> here is the New game...
FullThrottle009-20160222.JPG
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Hilton wrote:also >> here is the New game...
FullThrottle009-20160222.JPG
Cool, I wanted to play an Alien pinball machine.
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

Eric_S wrote:Cool, I wanted to play an Alien pinball machine.
It was pretty obvious that the pinball mecca that is Madison, WI would be chosen as the US testing grounds for Alien.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty