Mad Rollin > 2016... over $3600 raised for Sara!

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Mad Rollin > 2016... over $3600 raised for Sara!

Post by Hilton »

Howdy local crew.

Looking to get input on Mad Rollin 2016 as it is time to start making plans.

It appears the best likely weekend will be Sept 23, 24, 25. Is there any reason or anything I am overlooking that would make this a bad weekend?

This is a Badgers away game weekend which helps. I am also happy to have this back in September where it belongs.

Ironing out plans but looks like we will follow largely the same format as last year. Feedback was largely positive and I think it went pretty well.
Now is the time to lay it out and provide ideas if you have them.

In need of active game bringgers.

Please post up so we can make sure we will get enough games to make this happen.

1. Hilton - 2 games
2. Mark - 1; likely 2 (thanks Mark)
3. Garrett - 1
4. Sean -1
5. KingPin - 3
6. Eric - 1
7. Tom -1
8. Tully -2
9. Art - 1
10. Chris&Chateen - 1
11. Mike w - 1
12. Mike S - 1
13. Jon Z - 1 (Tommy or JP)
14. SteveS and Doot -1
15. Dave B - 1
16. Pauly B -1
17. Jimmy L - 1
18. Michael R -1
Last edited by Hilton on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 16 times in total.
DeaconBlooze

Re: Mad Rollin > 2016... Input from all please

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I think last year went well, I liked the sped up format.

What if you allowed game bringers the option to get their round in on Friday night? That would allow them the option of staying home until the start of playoffs (require them to register on Saturday by noon, or whenever it is you think playoffs may start + a buffer). That would also help to speed things up for those playing on Saturday. That's obviously contingent on the games being available for play on Friday night (though I believe they were last year).

I also wouldn't hate to see the individual playoffs sped up - maybe by reducing the qualifiers? It's a fun day, but it's still a long day, and I'm usually burnt out and dreading the load out by the end of it.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

man, the guy has one kid and all of a sudden more than 5 hrs or pinball and he needs a nap ;)

Definately could work in some sort of option for allowing game bringgers the ability to play their qualifying round on Friday. I think logistically we would have to have people hard committed to doing this early in the planning sinc eI draw up all the paper work and groupings well in advance of the actual event.

That could be a nice option for those that have limited time and also a nice advantage for game bringgers by allowing them to play fresher on saturday playoffs (assuming they made it).

Good input.
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

I had a great time at Mad Rollin last year. The tournament format for both Pingolf and Pinbrawl seemed to run efficiently. I liked having the side competition since that gave those of us who got knocked out of the tournaments early something to do in the meantime. Perhaps more of that would be nice, though I understand that it is hard enough getting games for the tournament. I still had a great time socializing and meeting new people.
The Hobbit, Alien Poker, DE Star Wars, Heavy Metal Meltdown, Total Nuclear Annihilation, Rick and Morty
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

thanks for the input Noah!
KingPin Games

Post by KingPin Games »

I believe that the 2015 session was the best so far. I was never really just sitting for a long time like previous years. Of course, now I would like to expand it further in order to donate further. Maybe a 3rd course?

Just a thought.

I have already started looking around the warehouse for a donation, probably not a big buck hunter since my supply is down, but I'll find something.

Kingpin
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Awesome and thanks KP!

We are in dicsussion for a possible location shift for 2016 based on a few things that are beyond my control, but it may turn out to be better in the long run...

Anyone have major events/problems with weekend of Sept 23-24-25? That is the biggest thing I need to lock down at this stage.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

First off I think the dates for 2016 sound good to me. I should be able to make it!

As far as what to change from last year I don't really have many suggestions as I thought everything ran extremely well and on time. I like the idea of allowing game bringers to qualify Friday night as an option although I'd probably still want to play my rounds on Saturday as I tend to play better when I'm well rested.

About the only issue I ran into last year was not being able to get enough entries in to the side tournament but that was my fault. It was largely due to doing well in the main tourneys and just not getting many breaks to play. As long as this is open for qualifying Friday night I will just have to be more diligent to getting side tourney games in. I guess we could always look at limiting the number of attempts vs. doing pump-n-dump but that would take additional work to manage.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

good point about the side event Mike.

Last year was the first time of having it open on Friday for qualifying, so I dont think many people thought about making sure you dropped an entry or 2 then (I think I only played 1 game on each and I was the one that arranged it; just too busy and having too much fun on Friday :) ).
Hoping the natural adjustment is that people will remember to do that this year.

I like having the side event unlimited play as it gives people that are knocked out early on Sat something to work towards/do while people like you and Tim are in Playoffs.

With the possible venue change there may be a huge positive of being able to load in at any time up to a week before. That will be really nice Pro to offset some of the other cons.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I agree that it should probably stay as-is for the side tournament. I know in tournaments where I haven't done as well on the Main it's nice to be able to switch my focus into doing well in the side tournament and not being limited on entries. My mistake last year was having too much fun Friday night in the main room and forgetting to put any entries in on the side tournament while the games were easily accessible. This year I'll just make sure to play my qualifying games on Friday night so that I don't have to worry about fitting them in on a busy Saturday.
Current Collection: Rick and Morty, JPPrem, TWDLE, SW Pro, Foo Fighters Pro, Godzilla Pro, GNRLE, Alien Star, Space Invaders, Harlem, Stars, Shadow.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Having had a really good time at the last 3 MRP, I'm sad to say that weekend is no good for me. Just too much good pinball these days.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ken wrote:Having had a really good time at the last 3 MRP, I'm sad to say that weekend is no good for me. Just too much good pinball these days.
Well that is a bummer Ken!
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

So for noobs, what exactly is this??? :)
Current: Medieval Madness, Sinbad, Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park
BigDaddyBanjo

Post by BigDaddyBanjo »

chrisnack wrote:So for noobs, what exactly is this??? :)
Hilton runs a great tourney for charity every fall. It keeps growing and getting more fun to play in each year. It was originally named "Mad Rolling Pinball" because of an association with the "Mad Rolling Dolls" roller derby team.
Home Collection : FT, JD,Paragon, POTO, GB, WCS, TWD, WPT, SMVE, BK, HS, Gorgar and Bank Shot.
chrisnack

Post by chrisnack »

BigDaddyBanjo wrote:
chrisnack wrote:So for noobs, what exactly is this??? :)
Hilton runs a great tourney for charity every fall. It keeps growing and getting more fun to play in each year. It was originally named "Mad Rolling Pinball" because of an association with the "Mad Rolling Dolls" roller derby team.
Nice, so another way for me to spend money and show how much i suck at pinball? :)
Current: Medieval Madness, Sinbad, Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Former: Cleopatra, Joker Poker, Count-Down, Stargate, Road Show, Solar Ride, Attack from Mars LE, Star Wars Premium, Jurassic Park