Madison Pinball: Winter Wrap-up December

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Madison Pinball: Winter Wrap-up December

Post by Hilton »

Madison Pinball Winter Wrapup – December

Madison Pinball has decided to run another month long full sanctioned IFPA for fun!

Event is worth full WPPR points and the more people that play the more points the event will be worth under current WPPR rules.

What: Month long tournament for fun, trophies, and IFPA points. Great door prizes from this events sponsor

When: Qualifying round is Tues Dec 1st 2015 – Thursday Dec 31st at midnight
STRICT cut off for score submission due to playoff on following day!

Playoffs on Friday Jan 1st 2016 6pm at Altbrew (location may change so check back)

Where:

Pooley’s (5441 High Crossing Boulevard, Madison, WI 53590)

AND

Schwoegler’s (444 Grand Canyon Dr, Madison, WI 53719)

AND

Alt Brew (1806 Wright St, Madison, WI 53704)

Cost: $5 paypal gift or cash paid to hmjones3@gmail.com to enter (coin drop to play at locations). 100% of all entires will be used for trophies/prizes. Registration open NOW through the entirity of the event. 100% of ALL entries go towards trophies/prizes for players. You can also pay in cash in person to me if you so desire. ***Registration is waived for any person that has never played in a compeitive pinball event previously as a way to promote competitive pinball. New players must still register in advance of competiting and submit scores on all machines by the end of the event. Madison Pinball will cover entry fees of these new players to seed the prize pool.

Why: For fun! More local pinball competition! WPPR points for all! Note that event ends on Jan 1 2016 with the added playoff round so this will be used towards 2016 SCS standings.

PARTY: What, you said party? YES, as thanks for everyones support, following the conclusion of the event we plan to have an awards ceremony. FRIDAY Jan 1st from 6:00 to 9:30pm (playoffs start at 6pm; free play starts at 7:30pm. Games will be on free play at for all participants for approximately 2hours (7:30-9:30pm). Playoffs start at 6pm.

Brief Description of event: This format seemed to work well and was enjoyed with the previous events, so it is back by popular demand with some player feedback improvements. Best score format on 12 total games with unlimited attempts for the entire month. Players track their own scores, document best scores with photos (please be sure to get Madison Pinball sticker in photos and clear pictures of score), and submit all best scores by the end of the event. Players may only used scores AFTER officially registering for the event. Any scores prior to registering are void and submitting them is against the rules.

IFPA Required PLAYOFF: New IFPA rules REQUIRE we have a playoff for this event. Playoff format will be a match play style where you can not drop more than 3 places from where you qualified. In other words there is incentive to qualify high as well as perform well in playoffs. Top 8 players will qualify for playoff. Playoff will consist of 3 rounds of play on 3 games each round.

Round 1: Qualifiers 8, 7, 6, and 5 match play on 3 games with 4,3,2,1 scoring. Top 2 players continue on.

Round 2: Winners from round 1 and qualifiers 4 and 3 match play on 3 games with 4,3,2,1 scoring. Top 2 players continue on.

Round 3: Winners from round 2 and qualifiers 2 and 1 match play on 3 games with 4,3,2,1 scoring. Final positions based on playoff scoring

*playoff format subject to tweaks as we are talking with IFPA on some details. In general playoffs will be a style that incentivizes good qualifying play as well as ability to match play in a direct format.

*players need to check in by 5:50pm if you are in the intitial 4 pack/ round 1. Please keep an eye out here for any additional details. If you are in round 2, you need to check in by 6:25pm. Round 3 and you must check in by 6:55pm. All games on location are possible options for playoff rounds and will be predetermined by officials. Those qualifying higher will get choice of position on first game of each round.

The details:

Players must register BEFORE competing; please no cheating. PayPal gift payment of $5 to hmjones3@gmail.com to register. The entry to participate is $5 and 100% of this goes directly to the trophies/prizes. Games require coin drop since they are on location. Trophies and prizes for top 8, but additional prizes may go deeper depending on # of players.

This tournament features Unlimited Play format for the entire month (all scores must be submitted with email time stamp by midnight on the last day of the month at latest to count). Play at your leisure during this month long event and as often as you like. Please be VERY respectful of these locations and that they are supporting pinball in Madison. They are not affiliated with this tournament so they will be unable to address any issues or questions. Please contact hmjones3@gmail.com with any questions.

4 games for play at Pooley’s (5441 High Crossing Boulevard, Madison, WI 53590) will be:

Addams, Metallica, Walking Dead, Cue Ball Wizard

4 games for play at Schwoeglers (444 Grand Canyon Dr, Madison, WI 53719) will be:

America's Most Haunted, Star Trek, Kiss, Getaway

4 games for play at Alt Brew (1806 Wright St, Madison WI 53704) will be:

IronMan, Johnny, Bally Atlantis, and 1 other TBD by event start

Please note that any code updates provided by manufacturers prior to the mid way point of the month will result in game updates. please pan your play accordingly.

Upon registering players will be provided with a high score recording form to assist them with keeping track of their scores and player number. After getting your personal best high score on a game, a player must take a picture of the score which clearly shows the game being played and the score (score must be clearly seen in photo for verification purposes; PLEASE NOTE THAT A UNIQUE IDENTIFIER WILL BE NEAR SCORE DISPLAY ON EACH GAME AND MUST BE IN PHOTO ALSO). If you were playing a multi-player game you must clearly indicate which score was yours. Players must submit a score for each game by last day of month at midnight in order for it to count in this tournament. Players are asked to submit their highest score on each game.

For scores to count each player MUST send a single email to hmjones3@gmail.com by midnight with:

1. Your final and filled out score recording sheet with your highest score for the duration of the event on all games. Electronic score entry is preferred and send back the completed score recording sheet in the same format it was provided in (copy and paste into body of email is fine).

2. A picture which shows proof of this score on EACH game. Please note that this unique format requires all players to function on the honor system. please no cheating! If you are suspected of cheating you may be disqualified from the event immediately. If a score is not legible then it will not be used.

Your email should contain 1 filled out electronic score sheet and 1 for EACH game. You will receive a confirmation that scores have been received. If you do not receive this confirmation then please contact the officials.

Physical High Scores to date on each game are reset just prior to the start of the event and will be used as a weekly secondary check to help ensure integrity from all players. Players should also look at the high scores to date on each machine as a reference point of what to aim for.

Players may submit scores more than one time but due to the efforts required from officials to compile scores and sort through emails it helps if you can send a single email once you are done competing for the month and have your higest score. Please note that scores during other monthly tournaments are not eligible for entry in this event >> in other words, no double dipping.

Officials will attempt to keep games in the same state of play for the duration of the month long competition but it is asked that players understand that with pinball and especially on location pinball, some things are out of our control. If you experience a malfunction with a game then please report it using the information on the game and the operator will attempt to correct it ASAP. If you experience a beneficial scoring malfunction please report this immediately (if you experienced it then others will also). In the event that a game goes down for an extended duration it may be replaced. Depending on the timing of this scenario the officials may opt to either remove the game from the month long competition or they may opt to substitute in the replacement game or may opt to use both games. In this scenario it is to your best interest to play early in the month in the case a game needs to be removed from location but is still used for the competition. All decisions by officials are final. This is intended to be a fun event. Officials will attempt to enter scores ASAP and keep www.madisonpinball.com up to date with any changes in player list, current standings, or changes to rules. Each player’s final high scores for the month will be used to rank them on each individual game and their combined ranking points on each game will be used to establish their final position for the event which will be reported to IFPA for WPPR point purposes. In the event of ties for final ranking/reporting of finishing position TBD will be used as the 'tiebreaker' machine (higher score on this game wins any tie in total combined ranking points) following conclusion of the event. This event concludes at midnight at the end of the month.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Registration is open NOW and you can register at any time during the month.

All rulings by officials will be done with their best judgement and are final.
TheDru

Re: Madison Pinball: Winter Wrap-up December

Post by TheDru »

Congrats on the new location.
Just checking though. AltBrew is STILL only open 14 hours a week Right?
Compared to the 93 hours per week @ Schweoglers or the 105 Hours per week @ Pooleys?
Yikes! Guess that doesn't help us working stiffs that have to put our scores in during the week.
Bummer.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I believe they are currently open 29hrs per week and hours are expanding to other days soon (I let them know that hours on their website and FB need to be updated proactively as they expand).

Current hours are from 3pm-midnight on Thursday, 2pm-midnight on Friday, and 2pm-midnight on Saturday, but I know there is still some flexibility on this depending on how many people are there at a given time (i.e. they may close early if a dead night, but things are picking up quickly and the past 2 weekends have been busier already; they just opened 1 month ago or so). It never hurts to give them a call to check hours if you are wanting to swing out.

They are apparently days away from getting some red tape finished (ATF approval I think?) so they can bring in the ferment vats and will be expanding to 5 days a week at that time (Tues-Sat). They are also working out logistics of food and plan to open for lunch time at that time to cater to MATC crowd (who does not like food, beer, and pinball?; will be interesting to see if college kids play pinball anymore?). I was told full open by finals week at MATC, but please dont take that as a promise.

I apologize for the difficulty it will create for some in order to play in winter wrap-up, but in the effort of promoting the new spot (and helping to show them that pinball is worth the space they are giving up) I say a big THANKS to anyone that is able to help us get Alt brew started right and support the effort. Things will get better for hours soon (hopefully in the next week or 2).
TheDru

Post by TheDru »

That sounds better.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TheDru wrote:That sounds better.

thanks for your understanding and support!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

3 people signed up.

Scoring starts tomorrow.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

7 people signed up
TheDru

Post by TheDru »

Started off on the right foot yesterday. Played 3 games and got 2 GC's. Love playing early......Good for the ego even if the scores don't hold up!
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TheDru wrote:Started off on the right foot yesterday. Played 3 games and got 2 GC's. Love playing early......Good for the ego even if the scores don't hold up!

playing early is also more cost effective ;)

reset HSTD means more knocks.

Feel free to trash talk and put photos in this thread if you want to folks. I dont think the dedicated photo thread is really needed but and happy to start it if you prefer.
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Also, for those who aren't on Facebook, to help stretch your "pinball dollar" the pricing of Star Trek has been reduced to $.75 per single game (still 3/$2), and AMH has also been reduced to $.75 per play.
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

8 people in now
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Mark it 10 Donny!

10 people now in.
TheDru

Post by TheDru »

Whoa. Veiled Lebowski reference? New game coming to Madison pinball? Hilton you sly dog.
Actually, come to think of it, a TBL would really tie the room together.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

TheDru wrote:Whoa. Veiled Lebowski reference? New game coming to Madison pinball? Hilton you sly dog.
Actually, come to think of it, a TBL would really tie the room together.

oddly, I saw a high score on TWD with "The Dude" and it made me think of the movie. I always like the "mark it Donny" lines.

Great movie, but no interest in TBL at this stage. It is expensive and seems to have a very long way to go. I am over it on the preorder risk after losing a bunch of money on Predator. When TBL makes it to market then I will play it and see if it is possibly in the cards for home collection or route (what I saw this past year at expo tells me it would be a nightmare on route; lots of stuck balls and issues).
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

I should mention that we do have some fun things in the works for new games in the next few months.

I can tell you that demoman will be game #4 at Altbrew, but you already knew that. :)

Demoman is finishing up being dialed in and will go out next Thursday, Sorry for the delay to all of you playing in Winter Wrap up.