Wisconsin Intrastate Pinball League Championship

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Eric_S

Wisconsin Intrastate Pinball League Championship

Post by Eric_S »

Announcing the 2015 Wisconsin Intrastate Pinball League Championship tourney!

Similar to the Ryder Cup in golf, we thought it would be fun to do a team play based tournament pitting the highest ranked pinball players from the Fox Cities, Madison and Milwaukee pinball leagues in a tournament to crown an intra-state league champion. If this inaugural event is a success, I’d expect that we rotate annual hosting duties to other league areas so each league will have a homefield advantage every 3 years.

Note - This is just for a league championship which is exclusively for bragging rights. For the Wisconsin State Championship, the annual IFPA State Championship Series (SCS) which will be on February 13, 2016, will crown the individual championship.

Here are the details:

Date – Saturday, November 14, 2015 starting at 10 AM

Location – Eric Strangeway’s home in Neenah, WI

Fee – $20 per person to cover lunch, beverages, and trophies/plaques

Attendees – 24 total, 8 from each of the three Wisconsin Leagues (Milwaukee, Madison and Fox Cities). Each league can determine whom to include from their respective league based on their league’s standings. Neo will coordinate the Milwaukee league attendees, Hilton will coordinate the Madison league attendees, and Eric will coordinate the Fox Cities league.

Early Day Format: in the early part of the day, we’ll play a total of nine rounds. Each round will have 8 games played. The games will be three player groups, with one member from each of the leagues playing. Player groupings and games will be randomly selected each round and playing order will rotate by league. The winner of the game gets 3 points, second place gets 2 points, and third place gets 1 point. After nine rounds, each league’s point totals will be added to determine which league won. If there is tie for a winner, another round will be played among the leagues that tied.

Later Day Format: After the initial nine rounds are complete, we’ll do a standard bracket single-elimination tournament for fun. Ranking will be based on individual point totals from the earlier portion of the day. The top eight qualifiers will get a first round bye. We’ll play best two-out-of-three for each round (maybe 3 out of 5 in later rounds?). Higher seed will pick game and order for the first match, lower seed will pick game and order of the second game, and in the event of a tie, the third game will be selected by the higher seed and order selected by the lower seed. These results will be submitted to IFPA.

Mini-Tournament will be a one play on one game where the four highest scores will go into a three round knockout elimination. High score will pick order for next round. $2 entry fee, winner takes all. Only one entry per person. It will probably be on an early SS or EM game to keep game times low.

Tentative game line up (as always, subject to change based on buying/selling/trading or something blowing up)

Tales From the Crypt (new ROM release)
Maverick
Rocky and Bullwinkle
DE Star Wars (new ROM release)
Whitewater
The Addams Family (Gold ROMs)
Terminator 2
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Dr. Who
Twilight Zone
Funhouse
High Speed 2: the Getaway
Wheel of Fortune
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Family Guy
Ripley's Believe it or Not
Star Trek Premium (Stern)
Jurassic Park (new ROM release)
Roadshow
Melody
Gorgar
Alien Poker
Centaur 2
Sinbad

If you have any questions, please let me know.

thanks,
Eric
Last edited by Eric_S on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KingPin Games

Re: Wisconsin Intrastate Pinball League Championship

Post by KingPin Games »

I think I'm in the top 8 for madison so I would love to play.
Christopher
KingPin Games
www.KingPinGames.net
Sales@KingPinGames.net
608-393-2299 cell

Authorized JJP, Stern, Spooky, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball, Raw Thrills, Namco, Incredible Technology, Pipeline Games
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for putting this on Eric!

We will field the Madison 8 post our October meeting and then fill in based on desire from others (assuming some in the top 8 will not be able to attend and we will need alternates). Criteria will be discussed at our October event and ensure we have 8 strong that are committed to attend.

I think this is a REALLY cool idea!
TomGWI

Post by TomGWI »

This is going to be great. Can't wait.
jediturtle

Post by jediturtle »

Hope I make the cut as this will be an awesome excuse to miss my cousin's engagement party. Seriously...who has those? I'd way rather hang out with you guys and let you beat me at pinball! :mrgreen:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Looks like I'm free that weekend. Hope I make the top 8 because this sounds fun.

Speaking of standings, the Mad City Flipper league standings should be updated. I know we are not reporting to IFPA on a monthly basis but our standings thread should be current.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ken wrote:standings thread should be current.
it is current
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

First update - Starting time has been moved to 10 AM and lunch will be the provided meal. The Milwaukee contingent has their league night in the evening, so I'm hoping the league championship will wrap up in the afternoon.
Tim E

Post by Tim E »

Count me in. Thanks for doing this, Eric. It is a great idea. Madison Pinball Forever... :D
Allmyfriends77

Post by Allmyfriends77 »

Just out of curiosity, how does one determine location?

How do you pick 8 from Madison?

Is there a minimum amount of Madison only tournaments that will qualify someone? Or is it open to everyone?

Does it go by IFPA standings?

Just trying to figure out how you can make top 8 for your area.

Thanks
Allmyfriends77

Post by Allmyfriends77 »

There are people from Milwaukee that come to Madison tourney's and the other way around.

How do you claim what city you are in if that is the case?
u2sean

Post by u2sean »

Bryon,

There are currently three leagues running in WI: Fox Cities, Madison and Milwaukee. These are separate from the regular tournaments that are now being run. You can see the standings in the perspective Board Index sections. What Eric is proposing is a tourney that takes 8 members from each league. The league the individuals represent would be the league that they're actively participating in. I know Madison has a few from the MKE area, and that Fox Valley has some from north central WI.
Tron, Shadow, Shrek, STTNG, TZ, Dimension, TNA, AFMr, Neptune, R&M, Godzilla Prem, King of Diamonds, S&S, Dialed In! LE, Bank Shot, IJ, Scooby CE, ST Prem
Eric_S

Post by Eric_S »

Sean is correct that the Intrastate Pinball League Championship is for members of the MadCity Pinball League, Twisted Flippers Pinball League and the Fox Cities pinball league. Each league will determine who will represent, most likely selecting the highest ranked players.
Allmyfriends77

Post by Allmyfriends77 »

Agghhh...I got it. Thanks for the clarification. Maybe someday I'll be involved. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Allmyfriends77 wrote:Agghhh...I got it. Thanks for the clarification. Maybe someday I'll be involved. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Bryon,

Sean is one of the MCF (MadCity Flippers) board members and I think they take a list of those that would like to participate next season and then go by our by laws to help determine the filling of any open slots.

Reach out to sean offline and ask him for more info. He or one of the other board members can likely give you all sorts of info.