Pins needed for St. Paul Summer Games Done Quick event July 25 - Aug-2

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
dwangoAC

Pins needed for St. Paul Summer Games Done Quick event July 25 - Aug-2

Post by dwangoAC »

Greetings,

My name is Allan / dwangoAC hailing from the Sacramento Pinball Group that helps sponsor the Pin-A-Go-Go pinball show. At the moment I'm helping with the http://GamesDoneQuick.com SGDQ 2015 charity marathon fundraiser for Doctors Without Borders which will run in St. Paul, MN from July 26 through August 1st and I'm looking for help from the local community to get pinball machines at the event to aid in the fundraising efforts.

For the January AGDQ fundraiser held in Herndon, VA I was able to get in touch with Joe P. Said and the great folks at http://ReplayFX.org who supplied 8 games for use at the event and by the time the dust settled we had created an entirely new concept of completing speed pinball challenges such as collecting the disc super jackpot in Tron as quickly as possible, which Joe immortalized as http://pinsdonequick.com during the event. Joe offered up a Swords of Fury pinball machine as the grand prize and there were a number of people who donated during the event who indicated they were primarily donating because of the pinball machine raffle prize. AGDQ raised over $1.5M for charity, which was an astounding outcome.

My goal is to repeat that success and I'm looking for local pinball collectors who would be willing to let us use their games for the week, with all proceeds collected going straight to Doctors Without Borders. GDQ can help with transportation and otherwise offset costs as needed, and you'd be helping out a great cause. If you or someone you know might be able to help, please let me know. I can be reached here on the forums, directly by E-Mail at ac(at)sonic[dot]net or at 707-536-1514. Thanks in advance!

A.C.
ralphwiggum

Re: Pins needed for St. Paul Summer Games Done Quick event July 25 - Aug-2

Post by ralphwiggum »

Good luck, sounds like an awesome cause. I wish I was closer to donate to the event!
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix
dwangoAC

Post by dwangoAC »

ralphwiggum wrote:Good luck, sounds like an awesome cause. I wish I was closer to donate to the event!
I haven't worked out with GDQ staff exactly how far out they'd be willing to go to pick up pins or compensate travel from donors but we have some wiggle room there and can somewhat compensate for the effort, including free entry to the week-long event. As a comparison, for the yearly http://pinagogo.org show which benefits the Boys and Girls Club in this region the incentive for people bringing two pins to the show (other than helping charity) is free entry into the pinball show and I've done that a number of times over the years. I'd bring my own pins to the SGDQ event but I'm all the way over in Petaluma, CA and I'm flying in - I don't even want to contemplate what it would cost to put a pin on a plane. :)

For people who are unable to help with getting pins to the event but would like to watch for free along with 100,000+ other viewers, simply go to http://gamesdonequick.com starting Sunday July 26th. You can donate directly to Doctors Without Borders via the tracker to be eligible for raffle prizes and contribute toward various incentives while watching gamers play through games faster than you ever thought possible. I'm still working on securing a pinball machine as a grand prize, so keep your eyes open there. One last bit of promotion - I'm running the TASBot block which is scheduled for Saturday August 1st where I'll be demonstrating how to glitch the NES game Megaman beyond all recognition, which should be a ton of fun.

Thanks for the interest!
dwangoAC

Post by dwangoAC »

Are there any other resources, groups, or collectors I might be able to check with who could help us get some pins (or even arcade games) for the week? Heck, we'd even rent them if we absolutely have to. I'm regrettably cutting it mighty close on the deadline due to an earlier opportunity not panning out so any assistance or pointers in the right direction would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

St. Paul is quite a distance for most of us here... I am not sure what kind of local resources the Minnesota guys have in place.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, NBA Fastbreak, Williams Phoenix