Flippin with the Greats > Madison, WI

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
Hilton

Flippin with the Greats > Madison, WI

Post by Hilton »

New style of event I have been thinking about for a while and decided to try out.

All info on the madison pinball website

http://www.madisonpinball.com/#!fwtg-dec-event/cmw2

It should be going up on IFPA in a few days. Wanted to share it here first.

Event will run from 01 Dec to 28 Dec. I am not really sure how to appropriately put that on the WIpinball calendar?

Let me know if you have questions or I can make something more clear. This is a bit different than anything I have done before.

Flippin’ with the greats Fundraiser – December 2014

Madison Pinball has decided to run a full sanctioned IFPA event in December 2014 to help support the Flippin’ With the Greats Charity fundraiser campaign. Event is worth full WPPR points.

What: Month long tournament in partner with IFPA and their charity of choice for December, FWTG.

When: Dec 1 – Dec 28 at noon

Where: Pooley’s (5441 High Crossing Boulevard, Madison, WI 53590)

AND

Schwoegler’s (444 Grand Canyon Dr, Madison, WI 53719)

Cost: ($30 paypal gift paid to hmjones3@gmail.com to enter, coin drop to play at locations)

Why: For fun! (each participant receives a FWTG Medallion for participating, winner can go to the national FWTG Grand Final for a chance to compete for a new Stern Pinball!) WPPR points for all!

Brief Description: This is a slightly different format and something new we wanted to try. Best score format on 7 total games (plus 1 game for side event) with unlimited attempts between Dec 01 2014 and Dec 28th 2014 at noon. Players track their own scores, document best scores with photos, and submit all best scores by the end of the event.

all details available at http://www.madisonpinball.com/#!fwtg-dec-event/cmw2
Last edited by Hilton on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ralphwiggum

Re: Flippin with the Greats > Madison, WI

Post by ralphwiggum »

Looks cool.... For the calendar, try doing an "all day event" (should be a checkbox) and put the start date and the end date in there. That should look okay on the calendar, I would think.....
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Also, you may want to put the description from your wix site into this thread as well.... This site is getting a lot of traffic (about 195 unique legit visitors a day) and throwing your description on here should help the crawlers find your event on the big ole Google Machine.
Current Collection
Demolition Man, Genie, Pennant Fever, Sinbad, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Fish Tales, Wheel of Fortune
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:Looks cool.... For the calendar, try doing an "all day event" (should be a checkbox) and put the start date and the end date in there. That should look okay on the calendar, I would think.....
did that and now it appears on every day in Dec.

I was thinking a start on 01 Dec identifier > and then end on 28 Dec identifier <

or maybe it greys out the middle days so it does not make the calendar such a mess?
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

I dont think it looks *too* bad that it is everyday. If you want to change, you can obviously. You may want to change the attendance function on it though. If it just something anyone can show up for at any time, the attendance function probably isn't needed.
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

done. Thanks Tim.

I guess it is accurate to be on every day so I will leave it as it is.
Ken

Post by Ken »

What an interesting format. Great for coin drop with unlimited entries. Also a great way to get people to the new location.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

Ken wrote:What an interesting format. Great for coin drop with unlimited entries. Also a great way to get people to the new location.
TBT It is more about a way to hopefully have some more casual competition in a completely different format which also is not as much stress on the organizer ;) or players. I suck in stressful competitions (esp when all my energy is on running them) and know many other do also. Hopefully this will help those that want more experience to train to get better while also supporting a charity. I also thought the medalion/coin memorbilia was pretty cool so that sealed the deal to finally try this format out. I know some people don't care for it, but I like participation stuff as something for the scrapbook to remember it.

My favorite nights are getting a group of people together and just playing pinball. Now you can compete with the greater group even while having a night out.

Hopefully a nice side effect will also be getting more people out to support on location pinball.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

I like it! I'm in for sure.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

event is live on IFPA site now.

Registration is open if anyone wants to take care of it sooner rather than later.
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

A few registered people at this point.

Just curious, are people not interested in the format? or just waiting till December arrives before registering? not interested due to the FWTG entry costs?

I am open to suggestions if people are not liking this format but have ideas how to make something like this (self run event that runs for a limited time) work.

side note: I have thought about asking Tim for a subforum/thread that would also allow people to maybe more easily upload pics on the fly for score entry?
I wish I was a CPU wiz and could build some sort of application where players could register, enter, and track scores on the fly.
DeaconBlooze

Post by DeaconBlooze »

Money sent. I think it's a good format. I like the casual feel. Now I don't have to spend an entire Saturday at a pinball tourney, I can simply go to the East side when I find time. Competing in a tourney on my lunchbreak on the West side? That sounds pretty cool to me.
Current machines:

Wh20 :: PinBot :: Flash :: Firepower :: BSD :: SW Pro :: Pokerino :: TnA :: Bank Shot :: Stars :: Sky Jump :: Laser Cue
Ken

Post by Ken »

Already said I thought the format sounded cool. Going to pay when December gets closer.

I don't think a separate forum is necessary. Create a thread where people can upload their pics of scores. With the original post being updated to reflect current high scores on each machine.

No 200,000,000+ scores on ST though. That's just outrageous! ;)
ralphwiggum

Post by ralphwiggum »

Yep, start a thread here, and I will create a QR code for you with a direct link to the thread you create. You can stick that QR under the glass (or wherever) and people can take a pic, scan the qr code, arrive at the thread and upload right from their phone (they need to create a Wisconsinpinball ID if they don't have one though)....
Current Collection
Hilton

Post by Hilton »

ralphwiggum wrote:Yep, start a thread here, and I will create a QR code for you with a direct link to the thread you create. You can stick that QR under the glass (or wherever) and people can take a pic, scan the qr code, arrive at the thread and upload right from their phone (they need to create a Wisconsinpinball ID if they don't have one though)....
That is a great idea. Even if only a few use that method to post scores for others to see, it will be better than not having any scores to shoot for. Anything we can do to make this format a bit more interactive will be good.