NEWI PinGolf Open 2018.......maybe......maybe not

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
TomGWI

NEWI PinGolf Open 2018.......maybe......maybe not

Post by TomGWI »

So next year I am thinking of turning my spring event into a pingolf event similar to IFPAs PinMasters (see on the IFPA site) but I have my reservations.
All games would be scoring based.
Not sure if I will do 3 or 5 balls at this point. I am thinking 3 to keep things moving.

The biggest problem with the spring tournament is entering scores - mainly the time it takes (usually an hour). Having just a single digit for each game versus Game scores in the millions will help greatly in my opinion. I also think the pingolf format helps things move along.

I think the Cons are that pingolf has it’s own metric can the holes need to be somewhat difficult for the event to grade out to TGP 100%. So if the holes are easy and everyone is getting ones the value of the TGP goes down even though you played a bunch of games.

From the PinMasters Website:
Each Pin-Hole will consist of a pinball machine with a target score. The number of balls it takes for the player to reach that target score will represent the number of Pin-Strokes earned for that hole. Should a player not reach the target score after a full game is completed, a stroke value will be determined based on how close the player was to the target score at the end of their game.

For example, the target score of CSI may be set at 10 million points. A player will continue playing the game until he reaches 10 million points. If reached, the number of balls it took to reach that score will be recorded for that Pin-Hole. If the player fails to reach the target score after 5 balls are played, they will be awarded a score based on how close they were to that target:
8,000,000 – 9,999,990 points = 6 strokes [80% of par]
6,000,000 – 7,999,990 points = 7 strokes [60% of par]
4,000,000 – 5,999,990 points = 8 strokes [40% of par]
2,000,000 – 3,999,990 points = 9 strokes [20% of par]
0 – 1,999,990 points = 10 strokes [<20% of par]
A maximum of 10 Pin-Strokes per Pin-Hole will be enforced. Scores will be cumulative across all rounds played.

From the IFPA Website:
PIN-GOLF MULTIPLER (PGM)
The Pin-Golf Multiplier (PGM) will now be used to grade the difficulty of the course played.
The PGM will be based on the average number of strokes scored by the players that advance through that particular round of play of the tournament.
This average will be divided by the number of games (holes) played
This will then be divided by 3 to come up with the PGM value.
If the PGM is greater than 1.00, then every hole played will count as a full game played for TGP purposes. If the PGM is less than 1.00, then the number of games played will be adjusted by the PGM value to determine the meaningful number of games played for TGP purposes.
Organizers will be responsible for having the qualifying information available online for the IFPA to review when results are submitted. Any playoff rounds played using Pin-Golf scoring must also be available online for IFPA review.
Example calculation based on the 2016 IFPA Pin-Masters
Example calculation – Qualifying Round
Using the 2016 IFPA Pin-Masters results (available HERE), we advanced the top 16 players to the playoffs based on their performance over 18 holes played. The first step is to calculate the average score of those 16 qualifiers.
Scores of the qualifiers were [51,64,68,68,69,70,72,73,73,74,76,76,77,81,85,88], resulting in an average score of 72.81 for the 18 holes played.
Next step is to divide that average score by the number of holes played –> 72.81 / 18 = 4.05.
Next step is to divide this number by 3 to come up with the PGM value –> 4.05 / 3 = 1.35. This is the PGM value for this qualifying round.
This results in the 18 holes played being worth the full +18 TGP.
Had the PGM value been 39.24 strokes for the 18 holes played, this would have resulted in a PGM value of 72.7%, making the TGP for the qualifying round +13 games played for the 18 holes played.
Example calculation – Playoffs
Using the 2016 IFPA Pin-Masters playoff results (available HERE), we played in 4-player groups using Pin-Golf scoring, with a course of 3 holes, the top 2 players advancing out of each group. For PGM purposes, every round is evaluated separately based on those players that advance to the next round.
Scores of those that advanced through the Quarterfinal round were [6,8,9,10,9,10,7,9], resulting in an average score of 8.5 for the 3 holes played.
Next step is to divide that average score by the number of holes played –> 8.5 / 3 = 2.83.
Next step is to divide this number by 3 to come up with the PGM value –> 2.83 / 3 = 94.4%. This is the PGM value for this Quarterfinal round.
This results in the 3 holes played being valued at 2.83 games. Because these playoffs were made up of 4-player groups, it receives the 2X bonus for TGP purposes. This makes the Quarterfinal round +5.67 TGP.
Scores of that that advanced through the Semifinal round were [7,10,7,5], resuling in an average score of 7.25 for the 3 holes played.
Next step is to divide that average score by the number of holes played –> 7.25 / 3 = 2.42.
Next step is to divide this number by 3 to come up with the PGM value –> 2.42 / 3 = 80.7%. This is the PGM value for this Semifinal round.
This results in the 3 holes played being valued at 2.42 games. Because these playoffs were made up of 4-player groups, it receives the 2X bonus for TGP purposes. This makes the Semifinal round +4.84 TGP.
For the final round, the score of the winner is used to calculate the PGM. This was a 6 for the 3 holes played.
Next step is to divide that average score by the number of holes played –> 6 / 3 = 2.00.
Next step is to divide this number by 3 to come up with the PGM value –> 2.00 / 3 = 66.7%. This is the PGM value for this Final round.
This results in the 3 holes played being valued at 2.00 games. Because these playoffs were made up of 4-player groups, it receives the 2X bonus for TGP purposes. This makes the Final round +4.00 TGP
In total between qualifying and playoffs, the 2016 IFPA Pin-Masters grades out to –> 18 + 5.67 + 4.84+ 4 = 32.51 games = 33 TGP
Hilton

Re: NEWI PinGolf Open 2018.......maybe......maybe not

Post by Hilton »

I really like your spring event how it already is.

Pingolf is fun of course, but I think the spring thing is fun already.

If you are going to do pingolf then I would just not be concerned with the IFPA value and go for fun. With golf style then people have more fun if they get some 1s and 2s.