Seeking Arcade Games for a Convention in La Crosse

Detailed Events Forum. All Calendar Entries point back to events in this forum.
ChrisS

Re: Seeking Arcade Games for a Convention in La Crosse

Post by ChrisS »

Couleecon wrote:The problem is we'd have to pay through the nose for concessions. The venue has rigid rules about minimum amount sold per hour and we would be on the hook to pay the difference :( . Small conventions like ours pretty much run on shoestring budgets so we have to be pretty careful about open ended agreements like that.
Yeah I have worked around the convention industry for years and it's my biggest complaint. I don't know why venues can't scale their requirements based on the size and type of event. Why they wouldn't want some business over no business is beyond me.

Did a concert in a convention space once and they wanted to charge us corporate rates for internet (2200.00) for 5 people to connect to check email. Ok I feel better that I got that off my chest. :lol:

Well if I'm home that weekend I'll plan on bringing a machine. Looks like some great hiking up there so I'll be able to convince the wife to go along. :D
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Chris K wrote: I'm the second-most hardcore Chris here. ;)

Oh I think you're in the lead. For a while I thought you were going to buy every machine that came up for sale. Now that's hardcore. :shock:
Radical, Taxi, RollerGames, Dr. Dude, EATPM, Bad Cats, Diner, Police Force, Riverboat Gambler, Swords of Fury, Cyclone, IMDN, Tommy, GNR, MET Prem, KISS Prem, TRS, AC/DC LE, Rob Zombie, Monopoly, No Good Gofers, Who Dunnit, DemoMan, Scared Stiff, Ghostbusters Prem. Not here: Earthshaker, AC/DC, F-14, HMM. Tech bay: Game Show.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

We filled up the basement, and then the to-fix list finally caught up with me! I don't like having more than 1-2 tables down when we can only really fit 10 tops. Also, it's harder to buy lots of $5K tables than it is $1K tables. :)
Our pinball table breeding stock:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Scared Stiff, Black Hole, Roy Clark, Monster Bash Remake, Future Spa, Big Deal, Top Score, Baywatch, Rick and Morty, TMNT, Sinbad, Guns N Roses
Couleecon

Post by Couleecon »

ChrisS wrote: Yeah I have worked around the convention industry for years and it's my biggest complaint. I don't know why venues can't scale their requirements based on the size and type of event. Why they wouldn't want some business over no business is beyond me.
Yeah, it boggles my mind a bit too. It's like every group is treated like we're a major rock band. :D
ChrisS wrote: Did a concert in a convention space once and they wanted to charge us corporate rates for internet (2200.00) for 5 people to connect to check email. Ok I feel better that I got that off my chest. :lol:
:shock:
ChrisS wrote:
Well if I'm home that weekend I'll plan on bringing a machine. Looks like some great hiking up there so I'll be able to convince the wife to go along. :D
There are several hiking, walking, and biking trails that start in town. Hixon Forest has several and another nice one runs from Mississippi river (Riverside Park near where we have the Con) through the marsh.

If you do come, we'll have passes for both of you. So far one other person has expressed interest on the pinside board, which seems great to me!
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Yeah its great you're getting the word out early. Plan on bumping your threads every month and as things get closer I think you will have others confirm.

One thing you need to remember. POWER.

Not sure how it works there in terms of how you have to pay for power hook-ups, cords and such. But you should be able to get 3 pins on one circuit. Reason I say that is you can buy some cube taps and plug in 3 machines.

Just remember you need some 10'-20' extension cords since not all cables for the machines will reach an outlet.

Again maybe this is all supplied by the venue free of charge or maybe you have to pay for each outlet you need.
Couleecon

Post by Couleecon »

ChrisS wrote:Yeah its great you're getting the word out early. Plan on bumping your threads every month and as things get closer I think you will have others confirm.

One thing you need to remember. POWER.

Not sure how it works there in terms of how you have to pay for power hook-ups, cords and such. But you should be able to get 3 pins on one circuit. Reason I say that is you can buy some cube taps and plug in 3 machines.

Just remember you need some 10'-20' extension cords since not all cables for the machines will reach an outlet.

Again maybe this is all supplied by the venue free of charge or maybe you have to pay for each outlet you need.
Will do! I'll give them a bump once and a while.

Thanks for the heads up regarding power. There are several wall outlets in the space were I was planning to put the pins so I think we should be okay if we just have a few machines (I was thinking if we have 3-5 this year that would be pretty awesome). We pay a daily rate for power but can pay extra for additional power drops if needed.
Couleecon

Post by Couleecon »

Just bumping the topic.
Couleecon

Post by Couleecon »

One more bump.